KielMcK's Story - (Big 3 and liquid spironolactone 2%, age 24)

KielMcK

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I am a 24 years old and model for a living so I need my hair. 3 years ago I had noticed my crown getting thin and the same with my temples. I found Dr. Leonard a hair Dr. in my area and started laser therapy and then began propecia. The laser treatment and propecia seemed to work great my hair was getting richer and color and hardly ever fellout out like it had prior. I began rogaine 2 months ago to try and increase my hair count figuring the more the merrier. The rogaine has def given me a huge shed but I am begining to see many hairs popping up all over the hair line.

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/health/11156737/detail.html you can take a look at my story here and click the video and it shows me after some lady talks. I also have been using Dr lees spironolactone on just my triangles and the sh*t smells horrible but I am gonna continue use. I'm think back to the day my hair began falling out and I'm pretty sure it was the day my father was killed... by a clown.

evasive

Reaction score
$4000? Price a little steep.

Model huh? Damn, it must be easy to get laid, look at all the comments from girls on your myspace.

KielMcK

Experienced Member
Reaction score
yeah 4000 is way to steep. Propecia and Rogaine seem to work quite nicely though. I've been with the same girl for 6 years :D

RaginDemon

Reaction score
You're a good looking dude, and I don't see you have any hair problem at all. :hairy:

KielMcK

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna post some before pics... I just gotta grab them from my old computer. My hair looked like absolute sh*t 3 years ago. With the laser I notice that my hair gets darker in color quickly and shinier... plus its more manageable... The propecia I am guessing is what stopped my hair from shedding so often and gave it a chance to all grow back. As for the rogaine its given me quite a shed... however hairs are popping up lower on my hairline and my triangles have hairs that were not there before.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
KielMcK said:
I'm gonna post some before pics... I just gotta grab them from my old computer. My hair looked like absolute $#iT 3 years ago. With the laser I notice that my hair gets darker in color quickly and shinier... plus its more manageable... The propecia I am guessing is what stopped my hair from shedding so often and gave it a chance to all grow back. As for the rogaine its given me quite a shed... however hairs are popping up lower on my hairline and my triangles have hairs that were not there before.

your hair looks gorgeous now...I can event image how it looked 3 yrs ago...

KielMcK

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It does look good alot of the months out of the year but I still have shedding periods where I think I'm done for. The thing with hairloss is its an endless battle. I don't think there is a such thing as finally getting all your hair back from treatments and never returning to the forums. I think you can maintain alot and sometimes seem to have it all back but it'll always concern you and you'll always second guess whether it is staying in for good or not.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
KielMcK said:
It does look good alot of the months out of the year but I still have shedding periods where I think I'm done for. The thing with hairloss is its an endless battle. I don't think there is a such thing as finally getting all your hair back from treatments and never returning to the forums. I think you can maintain alot and sometimes seem to have it all back but it'll always concern you and you'll always second guess whether it is staying in for good or not.

How bad was it 3 yrs ago?

flimflam

Experienced Member
Reaction score
glad your hair's working out, but the laser is bullshit. Sorry.

it's the finasteride that saved your hair and made it "darker", as you mention.

RaginDemon

Reaction score
flimflam said:
glad your hair's working out, but the laser is bullshit. Sorry.

it's the finasteride that saved your hair and made it "darker", as you mention.

It's rather stupid to comment on things you have never experienced.

KielMcK

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Ummmm... I know what you're saying about the laser sounding bogus... but it honest to god makes your hair appear in a better state in just a few weeks.... I have no idea how. I understand the hairs growth cycle and realize that its impossible for the hair to become thicker and and change in color in that short amount of time. Reguardless anytime I go under the thing my hair looks amazing for about a week. I have read about others having similar experiences and I cannot explain it.

KielMcK

Experienced Member
Reaction score
also I bought that laser comb a few years ago and was using it religiously and never saw any benefit. I was pretty skeptical about the overhead laser at the Dr. office so I don't think it was the placebo affect in my mind... reguardless you can get the same benefits from 20$ a month rogaine so spending 4000.00 is sorta crazy.

KielMcK

Experienced Member
Reaction score
my hair starting to fill in at temples with rogaine and spironolactone

KielMcK

Experienced Member
Reaction score
only bad thing so far is the rogaine is giving me alot of hair on my eyebrows that wasn't there before

Londo

Established Member
Reaction score
Your hair looks fantastic Kiel. I'd love to experience having a mop like that.

What kind of spironolactone are you using? How much do you think it is helping? I'm on the Big 3, but it looks like I'll be needing some more help up front and on the temples and crown.

KielMcK

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Thanks Londo. I use Dr. Lees 5% spironolactone cream and a little goes a long way. I put a little at each finger tip and spread it on the temples and hairline just a thin film. My hair is definitely benefiting from this. Same goes with rogaine I use more toward the front and let the propecia take care of the back. :hairy:

Londo

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks. How about the smell and mess of Dr. Lee's spironolactone cream? I'll probably be putting it on some large areas. I'm also looking for topical alternatives for a friend who may not be able to take Propecia because his liver enzymes were high the last time he went to the doctor.

KielMcK

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The smell is not as bad as it is hyped up to be... it does sorta smell odd though. The only time I really smell it is when I put it on... it definitely is nothing anyone but myself has noticed. As far as topicals I've only used spironolactone and rogaine. I asked Dr. Lee if it would be worth it to add crushed propecia into the mix and here is what he wrote back.

Kiel,
It is a waste of your time and money. No. I would have a lot of doubt in regards to the mixture's efficacy for treating male pattern baldness, considering that there have not been any significant references to topical finasteride's use. If topical finasteride did have positive results for male pattern baldness, I would have expected that after 10+ years, the medical community would advocate the use of topical finasteride.
One of the reasons there may be no enthusiasm in the medical community is that finasteride is almost exclusively a type 2 5AR inhibitor. In the scalp, there is predominantly type 1 5AR.

You'd be interested in knowing that Merck submitted a patent application for topical finasteride
(http://appft1.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Par ... 0020042425)

in December 2001. The patent has not been granted, and I'm not aware of any scientific studies that confirms the benefits of topical finasteride for the treatment of male pattern baldness.

Richard Lee, M.D.

The only thing elese I want to start using topically is copper peptides. I have yet found a site that sells a copper peptide spray or anything like that. I have copper peptide shampoo tricomin that I have used for years but haven't found a drastic difference using it.

Londo

Established Member
Reaction score
What about Tricomin Therapy Spray for copper peptides? I just ordered a bottle. There is Folligen too, but I've read that it smells terrible.

The Hairlosstalk store sells the Tricomin Spray:

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/shop/catalo ... ucts_id=46

I thought I read that Merck considered a Finasteride topical, but thought customers would rather just take a pill.

Dutasteride inhibits type 1 5AR, doesn't it? I'm not ready to try dutasteride yet though.