kal's story

kal

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a 20 year college student in BC Canada. I first started paying attention to my hair when my girlfriend was helping me spike it up it for halloween, because I have rarely ever bothered to gel my hair or even style it that much. She said " wow you have a really big widows peak, people like are more likely to go bald". That was the second time I had heard that in 6 months and I don't know whether it is true, or the large widows peak is simply the first sign of a receding hairline, I've had a widows peak since I was a kid but it is much more pronounced now so think it's the first sign of hair loss for me.

Now when I get out of the shower I've noticed the scalp shows through on my left temple, I noticed it predominatly on my left temple becuase the way I 've alwasy combed my hair on my bangs is my right to left because I have a natural "cowlick" at my right temple and have always parted it there, and combed the hair away from it in both directions and towards and over top of my left temple so it has always looked "higher" up. However when I look closely at it I can see evidence of it receding as well.

I very sure this has started in the last year if not the last six months, and it may be that I'm now looking for it more or I'm just paranoid but i beleive I can see a difference from 3 months ago. My father is almost 60 and still has pretty much all his har though its not as thick as it used to be. There is no record of male pattern baldness on his side of the family up to his grandfather, he doesn't have any brothers..

Ofcourse on my mothers it's not the case, but although her brothers hair is now receding, he is almost 50. I'm fairly certain I got the hairlloss gene from my mothers father( which by the way I've also heard this this is the relitive you are most like to inherit hairloss from), who was a NW4-5 in his early 30's by the looks of his wedding photos, and apparently started balding quite young.

But for crying out loud! I'm only 20, I've barely had 2 years free of being a pizza face! I've only ever had one girlfriend whom I broke up with recently, so this is all kind of depressing.

Some facts about me,

I've always had short hair of average thickness, perhaps a bit fine, my hair type does not seem the type to ever grow longer than the back of my neck. However the longest I've ever gone without a haircut is 4 months I think, Usually its every 3 week to a month it's always been fairly short which I have to maintain because I'm in the army reserve.

I've never experianced any major sheds and the hair that I have noticed fall out has usaully been pertty small and short, of course my bangs aren't that long anyway. Ofcourse I realize that having unhealthy looking hiars fall out isn't a nec reassuring thing given how DHT acts on the follicle.
But runnig my hands tthrough my hair rarely procures more than a couple hairs if any. I've never had any really noticeable scalp irration and I have never had that much trouble with a dry scalp or dandruff, my hair does get greasy if I don't shower for a couple days( I'm not in the habit of not showering unless I'm on a field exercise, or camping or something, I shower everyday usally in the morning).

I keep hearing about the best way to battle hairloss is to start as soon as possible, and that's what i plan, to do I bought nizoral a couple days ago. I'm considering rogaine, but it seems like a major pain in the ***, espcially when I can't spend every day in the comforts of civilization. I also live in the college residence right now and would rather my 6 roomates not know I'm using it.

(incedentally does nizoral make you scalp feel dryer and tighter at all, I've only used it twice, and today my scalp seemed a bit dry)

As for finasteride, well I guess that's about the only other game in town, but I'm a starving student right now so I'm trying to find a decent deal. I have some questions about it as well.

How long before it expires?, some web sites offers a better deal if you buy more at once.

If I buy 5 mg tabs and cut them up will the pieces still be good by the time I take them if I'm cutting them into say 8 pieces?

I just found out it's going to take me 2 months in order to see the only dermatologist in the area who may or may not know very much about the current hairloss information and may or may not prescribe proscar which is cheaper, I'd like to not delay the battle any longer. I'm surfing for a decent online pharmacy, any reliable references you guys could give me for non prescription minoxidil or finasteride, and maybe I'll throw out a couple decent looking sites I've found and ask if anybody has experiance with them.

A few last things I'll toss in here since most people will only look at my thread once.

I have heard alot about finasteride and it's systemic side affects on the body and how a solution would be to create a more effective topically applied DHT inhibitor. I saw someone ask about this device in thread somewhere but the thread turned into a retarded rant bewteen a couple of people because of something irrelavant he had in his signature. I would be interested if someone could give me any feedback on it.

http://www.lipoxidil.com/site/derma.php