Just started finasteride..a lot of shedding

mcmc

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Link to my story here:
http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/showthread.php/97189-22-year-old-male

Started 1mg of finasteride just a few days ago and went from shedding about 5 hairs per shower beforehand - to now all of a sudden at least 50+ hairs. However I am shedding hairs of all different sizes, both long and short from the front, top, back, and sides. Thought that I may be having some sort of reaction since I'm having an opposite effect from when I started. The coverage of my hair has not been the issue, the issue has been my temples receding and a bit of thinning in some specific areas towards the temples. I know there is such thing as a "finasteride shed" however I am at risk of losing that coverage if this shedding keeps up.(and I am at risk of continuing to recede if I stop taking finasteride). Any estimates or personal experiences on how long these sheds last?

I find it strange that after just a few days on finasteride, my hair is having this type of reaction to it. Is this normal?

Is it worth it to stay on finasteride and potentially lose coverage, or should I stop and figure out a different route. Feels like it is doing more harm than good, at least initially.

Also, have the feeling of "pins and needles" in my legs, mainly in my calves. There is a bit of tingling and they feel like they're "asleep" or a bit numb randomly.

Any advice/opinions are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I often use this analogy - in order to rebuild a house, you have to tear down a few walls. You can't expect improvement without losing some of what's there. It will grow back, and if the medication is working ideally, hair will start to replace itself immediately with stronger fibers. It takes time man. Stop thinking about the hair itself and think about the follicle. With a miniaturized hair, the follicle is shrunken and closer the surface... you can't just increase in size an already existing hair. The follicle needs to rebuild itself, the hair needs to shed and a new hair needs to grow. It really does take finasteride 10-12 months to show it's full effectiveness. Get on minoxidil too, if you're not already on it.

mcmc

Reaction score
Your analogy makes perfect sense, I was just concerned that this shedding happened so quickly, literally after the 2nd day of taking finasteride. Made me concerned after reading old threads on different forums of people saying they kept shedding and had no results. I am not on minoxidil currently. Should I apply 2% to just my temples?

- - - Updated - - -

I often use this analogy - in order to rebuild a house, you have to tear down a few walls. You can't expect improvement without losing some of what's there. It will grow back, and if the medication is working ideally, hair will start to replace itself immediately with stronger fibers. It takes time man. Stop thinking about the hair itself and think about the follicle. With a miniaturized hair, the follicle is shrunken and closer the surface... you can't just increase in size an already existing hair. The follicle needs to rebuild itself, the hair needs to shed and a new hair needs to grow. It really does take finasteride 10-12 months to show it's full effectiveness. Get on minoxidil too, if you're not already on it.

^ Or would you recommend 5%?

Thespain

Established Member
Reaction score
It's doesn't take finasteride 10-12 months to show its full effectiveness - it varies from person to person. I am nearing 12 months and am only starting to see it kick in.

Maxima

My Regimen
Reaction score
And unfortunately I haven't read much on temple regrow. I used finasteride for the same reasons.