Joining the club!

CarlJohanson

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

So I've been browsing the forum for the last week so I figured I should say hi.

So I have just turned 23 and male pattern baldness is in my family big time. My dad, grandfathers and uncle are all bald. So it was just a matter of time for me.
I started letting my hair grow in the beginning of the year and about two weeks ago I pulled it back to see what it would look like it it wasn't hanging in my face. To my horror I found a patch on my hairline that was looking really thin. I was totally freaked out. I was waiting for it to happen but just didn't think it would happen yet! Im too young to be old!

Anyway I went to the Doctor and got a prescription for Finpecia which I started taking on my 23rd birthday. Yay... So I've been on it for 4 days.
Im feeling pretty optimistic about it though :)

So Im thinking I'll just keep taking finasteride and not worry about my hairline for the moment. Obviously there is that thin patch that Im a little worried about but I'll wait and see what the finasteride does. What do you guys think?

The best part about this is I found out my hair is falling out after I just lost 20kgs and started feeling half decent about myself :p Oh Murphy, you are cruel!

DSC_0073_zpse063cf8a.jpg

DSC_0047_zpscc6534dc.jpg

1 month on Finpecia. I didn't win the lottery and get side effects. I'll admit that the first week I did feel kinda funky and it might have been the finasteride making me feel like that but Im going strong now.

2 months on Finpecia.
Still nothing much to report. I am quite comfortable being on finasteride. There might be fewer hairs in my hands when I shower. But I've really taken much notice of this anyway.

3 months on finasteride. Again, nothing to report. No side effects, no regrowth or further loss. So thats pretty good news :)

4 Months on finasteride
Absolutely fine. Zero side effects.
My hairline has bunch of short hairs around it and a few below. I honestly can't remember if they were always there and I lost the one decent picture I had from the day I started treatment. Sigh.. So I cannot say if things are getting better. But things are definitely not getting worse!

Some days I look at my hairline and Im like, "what am I ever worried about, I wonder if I really am losing my hair" And others Im like, "F*ck sh*t!! How could it have got so bad without me noticing!?!?
I've started working again so that keeps me really busy during the day and away from the forums which helps so much! Nothing worse than logging on and reading a thread about someone claiming that finasteride has stopped working of something like that.

2bald2young

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Well use finasteride and see if your hair loss stops if it doesn't you can also at minoxidil in your regimen for example.

CarlJohanson

Established Member
Reaction score
Cool, thanks!
Would it be possible to thicken up my hairline?
That actually brings up another question. I only noticed my hair line 3 weeks ago. I've never noticed excessive shed when I wash my hair, on my pillow or in the comb. So other than my hairline I am unaware of any hair loss.

2bald2young

Experienced Member
Reaction score
So said, the only proven product that can regrow hair is minoxidil. Also you should just start with the big 3 (minoxidil, ketoconazole and finasteride).

FlopTurnRiver

My Regimen
Reaction score
[video=youtube;1Y_KNYNzN6A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Y_KNYNzN6A[/video]

CarlJohanson

Established Member
Reaction score
A top picture for reference. I was only worried about my hairline, I'd never seen the top of my head before I took this picture... Grrr... not sure if Im worried about that too or not.
I have been told I have really thick hair on top recently.

10 days on finasteride.

CarlJohanson

Established Member
Reaction score
One month on Finpecia. I didn't win the lottery and get side effects. I'll admit that the first week I did feel kinda funky and it might have been the finasteride making me feel like that but Im going strong now.

CarlJohanson

Established Member
Reaction score
2 months on Finpecia.
Still nothing much to report. I am quite comfortable being on finasteride. There might be fewer hairs in my hands when I shower. But I've really taken much notice of this anyway.

albionlad

Reaction score
I wouldn't say you have a problem with density on the top. Though you have done the right thing going on finasteride

CarlJohanson

Established Member
Reaction score
3 months on finasteride. Again, nothing to report. No side effects, no regrowth or further loss. So thats pretty good news :)

Some days I look at my hairline and Im like, "what am I ever worried about, I wonder if I really am losing my hair" And others Im like, "F*ck sh*t!! How could it have got so bad without me noticing!?!?
I've started working again so that keeps me really busy during the day and away from the forums which helps so much! Nothing worse than logging on and reading a thread about someone claiming that finasteride has stopped working of something like that.

nikko

Reaction score
3 Some days I look at my hairline and Im like, "what am I ever worried about, I wonder if I really am losing my hair" And others Im like, "F*ck sh*t!! How could it have got so bad without me noticing!?!?

Man that the exact way I feel! I think is normal at the beginning not to see changes, or maybe some shed..we gotta endure it. :)

You did the right thing keeping yourself busy, it s the best thing to avoid thinking about hair! Best of luck

CarlJohanson

Established Member
Reaction score
I was gonna leave my updates from now on to more major points. But Im a little bored right now

4 Months on finasteride
My hairline has bunch of short hairs around it and a few below. I honestly can't remember if they were always there and I lost the one decent picture I had from the day I started treatment. Sigh.. So I cannot say if things are getting better. But things are definitely not getting worse!
I find myself worrying about hair loss a lot less. Although I still get that pit in my stomach when I see balding dudes or if people talk about it.

mr.patches

Established Member
Reaction score
I was gonna leave my updates from now on to more major points. But Im a little bored right now

4 Months on finasteride
I find myself worrying about hair loss a lot less. Although I still get that pit in my stomach when I see balding dudes or if people talk about it.

You started almost at the same time I did. At 4 months, I feel my hair is getting thicker but there have also been major sheds here and there.

Haven't you experienced abnormal shedding yet?

CarlJohanson

Established Member
Reaction score
No, I haven't had any shedding at all! :)

I thought I did but i have my hair long so any hair that falls out normally is very noticeable. I've actually asked other long haired guys about this because it did stress me a bit.

mr.patches

Established Member
Reaction score
No, I haven't had any shedding at all! :)

I thought I did but i have my hair long so any hair that falls out normally is very noticeable. I've actually asked other long haired guys about this because it did stress me a bit.

If there's nothing unusual then you shouldn't worry man. Great to hear you are doing good. Keep us posted! ;)

CarlJohanson

Established Member
Reaction score
7 Months on finasteride.
Here's some pictures.
There are a few shorter hairs around my hairline but Im not too excited about that at this stage because I dont really know what thats all about. I'll just be happy to keep what I have.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok these pictures are pretty sh!tty...
I'll update this again soon

CarlJohanson

Established Member
Reaction score
Alright so a year in finasteride now! I kinda miss visiting this website every day... In a weird sort of way. I just dont think about hairloss anymore.

This month I decided to stop taking finasteride just to see if I am having any side effects. I think I might have some sexual sides. I never noticed before when I started but I also didn't have a gf back then. Things dont seem quite what they should be. Im not blaming finasteride entirely yet. However I do intend starting to take it again within the next few days and then I guess I'll know.
At this point I feel that: having hair > sides. It is a bit disappointing though.

I will report back in a few weeks and with some pictures.

CarlJohanson

Established Member
Reaction score
Here are some new pics.
I've been taking finasteride every other day for the last two weeks. Sides didn't return after the first week. Ive got some sides stuff going on now for the last few days but I also dont have a girlfriend anymore so whatever... I'll see how it goes.

Hairline hasn't improved. But I don't think its got worse either. But that depends on my mood when I look at it.

CarlJohanson

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been on finpecia since 22 August 2014. In August 2015 I stopped taking finasteride and started again on 1st September. I wanted to see if I had any side effects.
Sadly, Im pretty sure finasteride has cause a drop in libido for me... Enough to the point that Im not really interested in sex.

When I first started taking finasteride I had an increase in libido for the first few month and things were great! after that things when back to normal and then I think things when to not normal. There was a week in June when I didn't take finasteride and I noticed I could get an erection more easily. During my month off finasteride I had an increase in libido and erections were easier and things generally felt better. I started taking finasteride again but switched to every second day (Now on 0.5mg perday). First week was absolutely fine. Second week I broke up with my gf and things went to **** after that. Through will power and getting some exercise I managed to get things to what they were before (I think). There was an improvement but it didn't last very long. Im pretty up and down at the moment but it could be depression. That girl meant a lot to me and although our relationship was pretty stressful, I am sad to be without her.

What I am going to do now is focus on my physical and metal health. Get some decent sleep, exercise and maybe get some zinc supplements (still researching) See if there is any sort of improvement and then stop finasteride again for a week next month to see what happens.

I don't intend stopping finasteride. I dont see the point in that right now but I want to be sure if it is finasteride causing my problem.

So I've finally taken some decent quality pictures! I think I've lost some ground on that thin patch in the front. The rest of my hairline looks the same I think.
Im thinking of getting some monixidil to see if I can improve my hairline. I'll keep you posted on that.