I've had a transplant but I'm looking at getting a System

melbournelad

Reaction score
Hello All

Long time reader of the forum and now have cause to add my bit, seek some advice and use this as a think pad of sorts.

I don’t know the terms you use here save to say I was pretty much bald all over at 22. I had a transplant through the hairline and frontal section which all grew reasonably well. I am 26 now.

My story is a bit of a different one as I have had a transplant and am now looking to a ‘system’. My reasoning herewith:

Hairline
The hairline looks very thin. It’s certainly there and realistically four fingers above my eyebrows but in most lights you don’t really see it. Combined with Toppik really makes it stick out worse since the mid of my hair looks thick and then the hairline where you just can’t use anything like topic looks considerably thinner. Looking from the sides you can pretty much see right through it.

Concealers
I’ve tried Couvre and Toppik. Couvre was pretty much in the bin after a week. I’ve used Toppik for a bout a year or so. It does a reasonable job but I stopped taking the Finasteride and all my regrown hair (non-transplanted) fell out. There’s really not that much hair for using Toppik and I find myself using too much to make my crown look decent (or worse as the case maybe).

A lot of my shirt collars need soaking or scrubbing to get residue Toppik and pillows are the same if I decide to leave it in my hair overnight or whatever which I will do since the appearance of Toppik after washing my hair can sometimes look like saw-dust. Fact is too when light is on the hair (most of realtime life) you can either see the toppik on the hair or straight through.

Also having to use so much hairspray to keep a ‘look’ can make it look unattractive and otherwise give you some serious rock hard hair. Not particularly attractive but can be necessary to keep hair in place that is really doing too much with too little. It’s been many years since I’ve had hair that actually moves.

I really do feel like the transplanted hair is just a carrier for Toppik sometimes.

Hairdressers
I pretty much spent two years without a hairdresser competent enough to work with the hair. It’s an odd combination of cutting it to style and for use with stuff like Toppik. I finally did find one but I pay for a senior stylist at about $60 AU dollars for the peace of mind and where my hair does grow it grows very quickly.

Finasteride
Stopped taking the ¼ pill after three or so years. I haven’t really looked into the sideffects as yet so I can’t comment. The main one for me is deformities and kids. Looking to kids I just prefer to be away from this sort of thing completely. When I stopped the regrowth associated with the finasteride fell out very quickly.

Overall look
It’s always looked reasonably good. Used to be in the military so the short look worked well. Now I’m out it would be nice to have longer hair. It’s not really possible considering the loss outside the transplant area. Further to that the hair itself isn’t really conducive to anything other than a short and pushed over or forward look. You can’t really push it up as the hairline and back is too thin. Also I’ve been tending to get the hair cut a little longer to help out with some coverage so again if you want it up you can’t because it’s too long versus the actual density on the scalp, so again you can see right through the hair. As far as the overall style, I don’t mean to offend anyone who considers themselves ‘old’ but I looked old at 22 and now I’m 26 with an older dudes hairstyle. ☺

Disruption to lifestyle
You can’t really do much with Toppik in your hair. It’s not like you can swim or anything. Id like to be able to surf again after so many years without thinking everything is going to go off with the tide. Even playing sport can be a bit of a worry at times especially when your hairspray starts to lose its way. Even sex can be a bit odd for me. I hear questions put to people about hair pieces/systems and sex but consider hair with Toppik applied and I think the possibilities are far far worse and more likely.

All things considered I am now looking to a system. I want a style I can work with, mix up and really look and feel my age. Only really started looking into it but am very keen on purchasing overseas (like from Toplace) and doing it myself. I’m concerned I won’t be able to find anywhere here in Melbourne to get it cut in etc. not to mention I’m worried I’d glue it on skewed but if other men are doing it and doing it well themselves I’m sure I’ll get it in the end too.

1. Also I think I read on here someone has created a do-it-yourself DVD. Does anyone who’s that is and how I can purchase?

2. I’m also thinking that the hair I do have would continue to grow underneath the piece so at what point does too much under the hair perhaps become an issue? And how often do you get your hair cut? And does the system have to come off, get your hair cut then placed back on?

3. I’ve seen some figures on here of total costs per annum but what does that equate to in actual hair systems? And how long do they last before you say it needs to be thrown in the trash?

4. Does anyone here actually swim a fair bit and how does it fair for you?

Thanks everyone!

Thin Jim

Reaction score
Hey MelbourneLad. I too have just decided to get into hair pieces. The total disruption to my life baldness has caused was just no longer acceptable and I felt I needed a permanent solution. The best thing for you to do is to read through the forum over at toplace. I have spent a lot of time going through all the old posts and there is a lot of good info on there to help us newbies when we are first starting out.

The DVD that you mentioned was done by Michigan Baldy. I have bought it and although its a bit pricey (45 dollars), after watching it I think its well worth the investment. Its really like a beginners guide and will show you how to do things like attachments, removals, cleaning, cutting your own hair using a robocutter which I have also bought online, and making a template. If you want to buy it just email MB or their is a link on the toplace forum which tells you how you can buy it. I think it really is a must for all beginners and MB has done a great job on it, so he deserves the money.

You will need to shave you hair down with a razor or people may be able to see the stubble through the base. This is not so important at the back but you will definitely need to do it at the front. the glue or tape will also hold much better to a shaved scalp. Also depends on what density you decide on. I have chosen 65% which should be just about right to start off with. You don't want to go too thick when starting out or people will notice somethings up straight away.

For most people the system will need to come off at least once a week for cleaning. There are glues and adhesives which will give a bond for as long as a month, but for hygiene reasons I think most people like to clean their systems regularly. I'm told once you get practice it will only take around 20 minutes to do so its not that time consuming. It will be much less than the 2 hours its takes to get my hair styled with dermmatch in it, and the time applying topicals. I plan on wearing it through the week and then cleaning on a weekend.

As for how long the systems last it really depends on what type of base you decide on and also how well you look after it. The most undetectable lace bases will last around 3-6 months if kept well. Your looking at around $200-$300 for one piece, so you can expect to use 4 a year. So total spending with glues and stuff will probably be around 1000 dollars.

You can buy all of your supplies from either toplace, coolpiece, or hairdirect. You will need glues or tapes, lace release or 99% alcohol. Sulphate free shampoos (normal shampoo will damage the hair), something to break down the glue like desolve-it, some scalp protector, and some nearly natural hair therapy. You will also need to buy a hair cutting tool like robo-cutter or flowbee.

I'm still waiting for my first pieces so i'm not sure about swimming in it. However I have read posts where guys say they have no problems when doing so. If your gonna swim in it just make sure you use a glue like ultra hold or tight grip. These glues are waterproof so it should be no problem.

Also what I was thinking about doing just the very first time is take it to get professionally cut-in. I'm worried i'm gonna mess it up so I have looked into going to the Farrell salon in London or there are some others which have a lot of experience with doing this. I'm sure there is somewhere in Melbourne you could get it done, just search online or look in the yellow pages. I'm only gonna do this the first time though just so I can get a feel for it before doing it myself.

Good luck with what you decide.

melbournelad

Reaction score
Hello

I’ve started having a good look through it all. There’s certainly a lot to consider. At the end of it all I think the transition is going to be key here: going from my current hair to the new. Its not so bad for me because I do have hair its just going to look alot fuller and better. I’m not really going from zero to hero.

I sent MB a PM. Haven’t heard back as yet. Should show me a lot of things and help me make the decision.

I don’t know about doing the cuts myself. I don’t rally consider myself THAT handy. ☺ I hadn’t heard nor seen a robocutter and flowbee before.

I think I will have to be bringing the piece off every week anyway. Where my hair grows it grows very quickly. I’d probably do it the day before my sport anyway. I think that would be enough ‘bonding’ time?

I think the 65% to 70% density range on the toplace website just looks fantastic. I’d be happy with that forever. I’m particularly impressed with the scalp showing in some of the piece on one of the fellas posted pics on the site.

What’s ‘nearly natural hair therapy’?

I read your post that Farrell take on outside hairpieces for $150. I'm suprised they'd go near them at all!

I’m very worried I won’t find someone competent to do my hair privately but we’ll see I guess.

2 hours to prepare hair is ridiculous, especially as you know it doesn’t look all that great. I’d probably be similar but I’ve been tending to leave toppik in my hair for two ad three days at a time (or until it starts to look sh*t) simply because I don’t have time for that at all. 20 minutes does sound a whole lot more appealing.

New thoughts:

Heat affecting glue
I’m interested in this whole heat affecting bonding glues thing. Not to mention I wouldn’t mind hitting the beach a whole lot more again I also tend to generate a lot of heat myself (being a Brit living in Australia) so that’s heat, sweat and oil (eww!). Is this a recipe for disaster?

Hairline
I think I’ll keep my hairline where it is. The transplant was done at four fingers above the eyebrow and I think that’s pretty much the standard? Do these hairpieces allow for differing hairline types. When I had the transplant done it was done so to look real with time so a little recession either side of the front (sorry I don’t know the proper terminologies). I think they will look fine but the whole way I started to realise I was losing hair was the front and sides would continuously push forward exposing those sides as I receded from the front when I was 16 so maybe I might have them a tiny bit forward of where they are.

Doing the template
It’s going to be interesting doing the template since I do have frontal hair. It’s not entirely obvious to me where my top hair ends and my side starts like it would with a completely bald man.

Hair colour
I see a few posts about hair colours not matching etc. Is this really a monster issue and does one do if the pieces turn up and the don’t really match the samples you provided? I don’t really want to have to colour my existing hair at all. Do the pieces themselves tend to lose colour at all? Interested to hear about this considering how tough it would be to get in on short notice for something like this if things did start to go pear shaped.

Do you think my post would be better served placed over @ toplace.com?

melbwest

Reaction score
hey MelbourneLad.

you might be interested to know..or at least hear that that Brent Guerra who plays AFL football for Hawthorn has a piece of some sort. You might want to google image search on him.

If he can play AFL footy then i reckon you can get around easy enough.

good luck dude

trapsource

Reaction score
If you have an active lifestyle and are worried with toppik, believe me a piece is 100 times worse. If you are a self concious guy it will be hard to relax at all. Consider all your options before commiting. Those companies wont tell you all the hassles and pitfalls.

JamesKennedy

Reaction score
Yes

Trapsource, that is a lie.

With proper bonding, you will have no worries. I can be in high winds, swimming, sweating in the gym, etc and have no worries about it lifting or coming off. That is a myth that uneducated people have when it comes to hair systems. This is not your grandpa's rug that you just set on top of your chrome dome. These are bonded with water proof glue that holds!

jake1980

Established Member
Reaction score
just seen a picture of brent guerra with not so much hair.. and seen another were he as loads .

melbwest

Reaction score
yeah..he was like an Norwood 4 or 5 at age 22 i think, so it seems he either had a fantastic hair transplant or, as i have read elsewhere, he got a system. good on him too.

melbournelad

Reaction score
melbwest said:
hey MelbourneLad.

you might be interested to know..or at least hear that that Brent Guerra who plays AFL football for Hawthorn has a piece of some sort. You might want to google image search on him.

If he can play AFL footy then i reckon you can get around easy enough.

good luck dude

You're right. I do know about Brent and I guess if he can run into people as hard as he does and nothing comes of it, it's a pretty solid system (and that is definitely a system) on his head. Incidently, doesn't he look fantastic now. When he was 21 he looked like he was 35 at least.

Goingat20

Reaction score
I know the guy who does brent g's piece.... It costs a bit to get someone to make it for you and maintain it. Where about did you get your hair transplant melbournelad?

melbournelad

Reaction score
trapsource said:
If you have an active lifestyle and are worried with toppik, believe me a piece is 100 times worse. If you are a self concious guy it will be hard to relax at all. Consider all your options before commiting. Those companies wont tell you all the hassles and pitfalls.

I'm hearing you but all things considered if I can do more things in my life I used to do and would like to do with less hassles than I have now, then that is what I want. I'm certainly considering it all and to my mind, the positives outweigh the negatives. I feel done right and logically it can be a decent step particularly for me (remembering I'm not completely bald and really no-one knows I am hair transplant recipient and concealer user), they just think I have sh*t, matted and flat hair.

I did visit one of the larger companies a few months before going the hair transplant route when i was younger and there's no doubt they prey on your frailties. The talk a serious amount of sh*t and cover up whats really going on. They pushed and badgered so hard in the end I had to tell them to f*** off. I won't be listening to any companies advice that's for certain. I'll listen to wearers/users with similar attitudes, thought processes and experiences to mine.

I am self-concious for sure. Wouldn't be here if I wasn't. If you can feel a hairpiece and worry about it, I can tell you, you can feel your transplanted hair ad you can feel Toppik through it and you can feel your lack of coverage start to lift off from your head in strong wind and you start to wonder 'just how f*****g stupid is my do looking right about now'. Sure both have potential to make you look like a fool but I can't help but feel one has the potential (potential I've seen with my own eyes on other guys) to look so much better and give me freedoms the current 'regime' does not.

melbournelad

Reaction score
Goingat20 said:
I know the guy who does brent g's piece.... It costs a bit to get someone to make it for you and maintain it. Where about did you get your hair transplant melbournelad?

I'd rather not say publicly. Certainly my situation is not to say my transplant is in any way bad. In fact its excellent but its just not the result I'd like to have had at my age.

Anyone considering the transplant route should, as my surgeon told me, be realistic about what is possible and the results achievable.

...and perhaps you could help me out with a name or number for the guy that does Brent's system? I'm keen to get mine overseas but I'm sitll yet to find someone local here in Melbourne to cut in th peices.

Goingat20

Reaction score
Brent gets it done at the hair institute, next to st kilda road tower

melbournelad

Reaction score
Thank you. I emailed them. We'll see if they reply. I've emailed two other similar style companies with no reply at all.

trapsource

Reaction score
James Kennedy... A lie? Do you think I have nothing better to do than to falsely lie about rugs? TONS of people have had them and got rid of them from all the hassles. Did I mention them coming off? You dont worry ? Probably one of those guys that still think noone can tell, or work for one of the companies. iF piece looks bad just once, people will notice and talk. Human nature. You think people want to worryabout that?
Melbournelad, If you have a ton of time and money it can look ok, and it takes alot of work to maintain. Because you must realize, dont you want it to look perfect all the time? You can swim in it sure, but you can swim in a three piece suit as well...it will end up ruining the system or youll be replacing them every couple months.$$$ Check out other sites and listen to guys who have worn them. Most will tell you the same thing. Dont take my word for it. If another transplant is an option, or hair cloning in the future, thats a better route. For some its the only option, buts its not a great one from a mantinence standpoint. It has its ups and downs. But I guess you have to wear one for a few years to really get what I mean. Did I mention traction alopecia? Thats a nice suprice.
I dont mean to sound negative, but their is a solution somewhere. Be patient and youll find it
TS

melbournelad

Reaction score
Today was a very bad day for the Toppik wearing community here in Melbourne. First off it was windy as all buggery so any hairspray used was quickly nulified and the style was quickly cracked. Walking to work in this wind my hair was pretty much straight up in the air. It was so bad by the time I made it to work (train and walk) there were little straggly hairs about my forehead and Toppik had dislodged and moved into my hairline and minorly onto my face. The illusion that I have quite a bit of hair was pretty much ruined as my hair had been pushed from pilar to post by wind and the elaborate combover and shake was pretty much exposed for all to see. So I ducked into the toilets and kinda fixed it up with minimal bits of tap water and... didnt leave the office for the rest of the day.

When it was time to leave for home..it f*****g rained.

So this is why people consider the things they do. :)

Goingat20

Reaction score
Weather was a shocker!! My hat went flying when i was walking to the gym lol... I wonder if a hair peice would have gone flying also, the wind was just soo fierce... But dont worry summer is on the way!

melbournelad

Reaction score
Yep its been a good week. I don't think a hairpiece would look anywhere near as bad as my blow wave looked. Tomorrow is to be the worst of the week! 14 and hail.

melbournelad

Reaction score
I thought I'd post here what I work with and the results I get. Some of the pics (including the centre one) are me straight out of bed this morning. Some are straight after a hair wash so you can see just how little hair I work with. The look is short(er) where in fact the hair is quite long.

hair.jpg

melbwest

Reaction score
hey mate,

in some of those pics it looks fine!

also, have you thought of shaving it and getting on some meds? you have a perfect head shape for shaving it so i would think that might be easier for you.

but that said i can understand if you dont want to.

mate, i reckon if brent guerra can go from this:
brent_guerra.jpg

to this

085116news.jpg

then i reckon you can find a system that will help you be happy/confident.

have you heard back from the place on St.Kilda Rd?