ITT: We share our skincare regimens

Captain Hook

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Now I know we're all pretty dermatologically enlightened when it comes to our hair and scalp, but what about our skin? Feel free to share your skincare regimen or even just tips on how you maintain healthy skin. Here's what I do:

Staying hydrated is the first order of business when it comes to skincare and a good rule of thumb is that if your urine is a pale straw colour then you're well hydrated, if it's clear then you're over-hydrating which you don't want (Look up dilutional hyponatraemia, there is such a thing as too much water to the point where it can cause death).

As well as staying hydrated this is my current regimen, subject to brand change depending on where I am in the world but I always try to use the same type of products if that makes sense:

-Nivea Men Volcanic Mud Foam Face Wash in the shower daily (contains salicylic acid)
-Neutrogena Men Invigorating Face Wash right when I wake up and just before I go to bed
-Nivea Men Exfoliating Face Scrub 2x/weekly before shaving
-L'Oréal Men Expert Hydra Energetic Active UV Defence SPF15 Daily Moisturising Lotion daily before leaving the house
-L'Oréal Men Expert Hydra Energetic Anti-Burn Ice Effect Aftershave Balm after shaving
-Nivea Men Power Refresh Shower Gel daily in the shower

In short: stay hydrated, have a balanced diet (Vitamin A, C, D, E and biotin are important for the support of healthy skin. As the old adage goes: healthy skin starts from within), exfoliate once or twice a week, wash your face at least twice a day, use a moisturiser that protects against UVA/UVB rays (minimum SPF15 so as to have adequate defence against photoaging, the main cause of aged skin) once a day, quit smoking if you do smoke (don't start if you don't smoke), drink alcohol only in moderation (no need to cut it out, even the FDA has to admit 2 units of ethanol daily is a healthy amount for men wishing to improve their lipid profile and protect against CVD), wash/change your pillowcase(s) once a week and of course don't touch your face! Follow these basic steps and you'll notice your skin improve.

Other products I use intermittently if the need arises that aren't absolutely necessary but have nice benefits: ;)

-L'Oréal Men Expert Hydra Energetic 3 Day Beard Moisturiser:

Since I shave anywhere from as often as 4 times a week to as seldom as once every 4 weeks, this product is nice because it softens facial hair as well as prevents and soothes the ravenous itch that accompanies 1+ week old facial hair. I'll never go as far as growing an actual beard but at the 4 week mark my facial hair will be at the Calvin Harris/Captain Hook/Ewan McGregor level.

-Clinique Acne Solutions Spot Healing Gel:

I use this immediately after I notice I have a spot, it contains 1% salicylic acid and has been the pinnacle of my skincare regimen since I was 12.

-Clinique Clarifying Lotion 2:

This is a toner type product that I'll use after a long day of being out in the heat and humidity, basically to remove any excess oil or sweat before I go to sleep.

-Vaseline (white petrolatum USP/white soft paraffin BP):

The only time I'll use this is to moisturise my lips in the winter or to remove eyeliner (I went as, you guessed it, Captain Hook last Halloween. A message to my fellow pirates: eyeliner is important, never swashbuckle without it!)

-Molton Brown Protecting Vitamin Lipsaver:

I'll use this to moisturise my lips in the seasons prior to and following winter.

-Nivea Men Skin Energy Face Wash Q10:

I use this as my shaving gel. While it is indeed a face wash it says on the label "apply before shaving to improve razor glide" and this certainly holds true. It surprisingly performs markedly better than your usual Gillette or Shick gel fare. It contains Coenzyme Q10 and taurine which can help revitalise your skin. It makes me look less 'tired' too if that makes sense.

-Nivea Men Clear Effect Gel Moisturiser:

I'll use this product as my moisturiser if I have a spot or a few spots on my face (not very often, maybe about once every two weeks or so), if I know I'm going to be out in the heat and humidity (hence sweating a lot) or if I know I'm not going to be able to wash my face for a while. It contains salicylic acid and L-carnitine which are beta hydroxy acids that reduce and hence control sebum which in turn prevents that shiny/oily/sweaty look on your face after a 10 hour flight, night out or all nighter.

That being said, many people compliment me on my skin and ask me what products I use even back when I was only using face wash twice a day and Clinique gel (I was an enigma in high school as people were always perplexed as to why I never had the classic teenage 'pizza face' acne like most of the kids my age), I've only recently (2 weeks ago) started to use the other products and have noticed a marked 'glow' type radiance to my skin, even some of my friends made comments on the difference (some people even thought I was wearing makeup LOL).

I'm also extremely picky with beauty products in general, especially when it comes to scent and feel. I used to hate wearing sunscreen or moisturiser because the ones suggested to me smelled rank and felt heavy and greasy. I have to say, for being brands you can find at the supermarket, the L'Oréal Men Expert and Nivea Men line aren't bad at all, they're cheap and I actually enjoy using them due to the alluring scent, rapid absorption, light non-greasy non-sticky non-comedogenic gel base (as opposed to heavy creams I've used in the past) and cooling effect they have on my skin. I can't feel them on my face and the only time I'll notice I have them on is if I catch a whiff of the scent, which is very pleasant in my opinion!

While I don't have an option to do this while I'm at uni here in Australia, my apartment complex back home in HK has a sauna and when I'm home I try to go at least once a week after the gym since it's a great way to open your pores which will lead to a very clean, silky smooth and radiant look after my post-workout shower! (I do 15-20 minutes at ~80-100 degrees depending on how I'm feeling)

Future Directions:

-Tretinoin (likely Retin-A brand gel):

I plan on replacing the Clinique gel with tretinoin in the future, as I am getting older and hence can take advantage of the anti-ageing benefit tretinoin has in addition to its original benefit of treating acne. Despite having combination skin (I get spots on my T-Zone mostly) I've never had much acne at all even as a teen (worst case maybe 4-6 small spots on my face when I was 14-16) but I'm someone who's very particular about his skin and hence am adamant about treating even the slightest small spot, which currently the worst that will happen is I'll get maybe 1-3 spots every once in a while.

-L'Oréal Men Expert SPF15 Comfort Max Anti-Irritation Aftershave Balm:

This is just to simplify my routine to forgo using a separate aftershave and an SPF moisturiser like I currently do and instead use a 2-in-1 product. I figure one less thing to clutter up my washroom cabinet is a good thing. This works well because I prefer the scent of aftershave rather than moisturiser.

-L'Oréal Men Expert White Activ Brightening Clay Scrub:

I'm going to be using this product in place of one of my Nivea Exfoliating Scrub uses (hence only using said product once a week before shaving) as clay, especially bentonite, is beneficial to the skin. It's also one of the few substances (besides charcoal) that has the ability to adsorb toxins.

(Interestingly enough, if you present to the ER in Hong Kong with food poisoning, one of the medications they send you home with is dioctahedral smectite sachets, a type of medicinal clay mineral. Tastes awful but definitely helps as an adsorb the toxins produced by bacteria such as
Salmonella enterica
)

-L'Oréal Men Expert Hydra Energetic Charcoal Face Wash:

I'll be replacing my PM use of Neutrogena Invigorating Face Wash with this product. Activated charcoal is another substance that has the ability to adsorb toxins due to its high surface area. It's an excellent defence against
everyday city toxins such as pollution and secondhand smoke (charcoal is actually added to a lot of the filters of Japanese cigarette brands for this very purpose).

-L'Oréal Men Expert Hydra Energetic Icy Cleansing Gel Face Wash:

As you might have guessed, I definitely have a thing for products with an icy cooling effect on the skin. This product will be replacing my AM use of Neutrogena Invigorating Face Wash.

-L'Oréal Men Expert Pure Power Red Volcano Face Wash:

This product will replace my use of Nivea Men Volcanic Mud Foam face wash in the shower, mainly because I am unsure of the quality of the Nivea product, the ingredients don't seem as convincing that it contains actual volcanic mud rather just a similar mineral extract whereas this L'Oréal product actually contains perlite, a volcanic glass formed by the hydration of obsidian. Volcanic ash mixed with water forms a type of clay and hence has similar toxin adsorbing properties as clay minerals (Reyka brand vodka uses lava rock to filter its product so as to remove impurities). This product also contains salicylic acid which is a chemical exfoliant that not only controls sebum excretion as mentioned above but also serves to make your skin tone more uniform and texture more even and smooth.

-Dovo Shavette and badger bristle shaving brush:

Does anyone really like the silly 5-blade Gillette Fusion razors? I currently use a Gillette Fusion ProGlide, I'm not impressed with how tepid of a shave it gives and I'm looking for something traditional and effective. I can't be bothered to strop a normal cut-throat razor so this is the next best thing.

-L'Oréal Men Expert Non-Foaming Ice Effect Shave Gel:

Simply to use in tandem with my current shave gel, alternating products with every shave, using this one if I have especially long (1+ week) facial hair growth.

-Nivea Men Pure Impact Shower Gel or Nivea Men Active Clean Active Charcoal Shower Gel:

To replace my current shower gel as these contain micro-beads and activated charcoal respectively that should help to better exfoliate the body.

-L'Oréal Men Expert Hydra Energetic Aqua Protect SPF15 Lip Balm or MAC SPF15 Lip Conditioner Stick (no homo ;)):

One of these will replace my use of Molton Brown Protecting Vitamin Lipsaver, mainly because it doesn't contain sunscreen and hence will not prevent photoaging of the lips. The former is extremely difficult to find, I can't even find an online source. So I may have to end up using the latter product, opting for the clear version as I'm not the kind of guy who would use a tinted lip balm.

-Lab Series Max LS Intant Eye Lift for Men:

Considering purchasing this to prevent and treat dark circles that plague me after I get less than the recommended 6-8 hours of sleep. I may just get one of those Patrick Bateman gel ice pack eye masks to go with it.

(inb4 someone posts the American Psycho skincare routine)

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
Spermidine. Lots of it.

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
L'Oreal for me. Use bits of their kit pretty regularly. Nivea is good too. You're kind of like a clone of me in certain aspects.

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
I take 25000 IU of beta carotene for my skin tone.

How would you rate it? I've been considering getting some to keep the deathly pastiness of UK wintertime at bay.

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm a bit worried about the orangey-ness, I don't want that fake sunbed type tan, but if it's a natural glow I'm all for it. Else I end up looking like this in the winter:

££££-Daniel Radcliffe.jpg

Captain Hook

Established Member
Reaction score
L'Oreal for me. Use bits of their kit pretty regularly. Nivea is good too. You're kind of like a clone of me in certain aspects.

Haha I'm definitely starting to notice that, it's really nice to be able to resonate with someone on these fronts though!

@Fred, I like the internal approach

@Dench, "you're a carrot Harry"

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
Alright guys I'll give it a go

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've switched from beta carotene to Astaxanthin. Legit skin gains.

Reaction score
I use shampoo (usually some nivea) and shower gel (usually from dove men series but sometimes some no-name brand)

2-3 times a week I use Nivea Pure Effect 3-in-1. I don't shave so I do not use more products and there is no regimen needed. I also do not want to take longer than my wife in the bathroom. She just needs 20 min to get all ready with shower, hair and make-up. No clue how she does that.

shookwun

Reaction score
minocyline 100mg twice daily.

Benzaclin topical gel.

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
minocyline 100mg twice daily.

Benzaclin topical gel.

Bruh. You're on minocycline indefinitely? Do you have really bad cystic acne?

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
Every time I research ideal skin care products/routines, I feel super overwhelmed with all the options/theories for what works best, so just I keep it pretty simple, with stuff I can buy from Walmart.

Neutrogena Men Invigorating Facewash when I shower.
Jergens Age Defying Multivitamin Moisturizer on the face as soon as I get out of the shower.

For a time I would switch out the facewash with Simple Smoothing Facial Scrub 1-2x a week to get a little exfoliation. I think it's a women's product, but I felt like it was giving my face a really vibrant look that I liked. I stopped using it in the midst of an acne flare up. I haven't had a bad break out in a while so I am about to start using it again.

I also stay hydrated and take multivitamins.

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
Anyone tried the Acne.org regimen?

abovedagame

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Anyone tried the Acne.org regimen?

The acne.org regimen revolves around using a ton of benzoyl peroxide daily. Personally, when I had acne the benzoyl peroxide did nothing for me and only dried my skin out. However, what did help my acne was using a leave on 2% salicylic acid lotion/liquid at night time. Both paulas choice and skin biology have great salicylic acid products that I have tried. Both sites have some great general skincare guidelines too.

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
The acne.org regimen revolves around using a ton of benzoyl peroxide daily. Personally, when I had acne the benzoyl peroxide did nothing for me and only dried my skin out. However, what did help my acne was using a leave on 2% salicylic acid lotion/liquid at night time. Both paulas choice and skin biology have great salicylic acid products that I have tried. Both sites have some great general skincare guidelines too.

I've never tried benzoyl peroxide, was thinking of giving that regimen a shot. My regimen now simply consists of hydrating cleanser, salicylic acid wipes (Stridex) and then moisturiser. It seems to help, and prevents any bad breakouts but I'd like to clear my skin once and for all. Would you recommend a leave-in salicylic product overnight then?

abovedagame

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I've never tried benzoyl peroxide, was thinking of giving that regimen a shot. My regimen now simply consists of hydrating cleanser, salicylic acid wipes (Stridex) and then moisturiser. It seems to help, and prevents any bad breakouts but I'd like to clear my skin once and for all. Would you recommend a leave-in salicylic product overnight then?

Yes, that's exactly what I'm recommending. I used similar wipes as the stridex but they were made by neutrogena. They had a ton of alcohol and dried my skin out. For me they worked at first then didn't help after a while.

Check out our paulas choice. She has a 2% liquid sal acid solution that is very popular and is very light. It's currently what I use. You can actually order a sample from them to try it out before you invest into the large bottle.