It's a rollercoaster.

Aplunk1

Reaction score
I don't know what to think anymore, guys. I mean, my hair really does play a large part in my social life, as well as my self-esteem.

My hair is getting better, but everytime I get a shed, I freak out. After taking a shower and noticing a couple of hairs on my hand (I know, I only get a hair on my hand every once in a while now) I took the clippers to my head and buzzed off my hair. It doesn't look as good as it did when I cut it 3 weeks ago. Back then it was a little bit thicker. I cut it to a 6mm (1/4").... now it looks like sh*t.

I feel so bad. Somethings are looking up... The temples have a ton of vellous regrowth, that actually form a nice looking hairline on the temples... My receeding hairline looks about the same, maybe a little better, and my hair seems to be becoming lighter... but anyway...

I get so f*****g depressed sometimes that I feel like going down to the Gun Range and putting one in my skull. There's a shitload of other factors that make me want to do that, but mostly my appearance. At age 20, it's difficult to accept the fact that I'm quickly going bald.

I now only have a thin layer of coverage on top of my head. I'm starting school in 4 days...

There's so much I wish I could say, but I don't want to waste anyone's time. But I am just terrified right now... Should I get on antidepressant or Xanax or something?

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Is there any hope for my regime?
I mean, do you think that I'll eventually get better results?

Damn, I'm a whiney b**ch. But any encouragement would sincerily help.

G

you still have so much hair, why are you so depressed? i mean i understand it, but your life cant be sh*t just because of that little bit of hairloss.

cook'n'milkies

Established Member
Reaction score
I know it's hard, but think of it this way: In 10-15 years your hair will likely be worse than it is now (unless some amazing treatment comes out or HM), so save the crying for then. You hairloss is acceptable right now, nobody judges you except yourself. Go out and live life with hair while you have it man.

kosmo

Established Member
Reaction score
Aplunk1 said:
I don't know what to think anymore, guys. I mean, my hair really does play a large part in my social life, as well as my self-esteem.

My hair is getting better, but everytime I get a shed, I freak out. After taking a shower and noticing a couple of hairs on my hand (I know, I only get a hair on my hand every once in a while now) I took the clippers to my head and buzzed off my hair. It doesn't look as good as it did when I cut it 3 weeks ago. Back then it was a little bit thicker. I cut it to a 6mm (1/4").... now it looks like $#iT.

I feel so bad. Somethings are looking up... The temples have a ton of vellous regrowth, that actually form a nice looking hairline on the temples... My receeding hairline looks about the same, maybe a little better, and my hair seems to be becoming lighter... but anyway...

I get so f****ing depressed sometimes that I feel like going down to the Gun Range and putting one in my skull. There's a shitload of other factors that make me want to do that, but mostly my appearance. At age 20, it's difficult to accept the fact that I'm quickly going bald.

I now only have a thin layer of coverage on top of my head. I'm starting school in 4 days...

There's so much I wish I could say, but I don't want to waste anyone's time. But I am just terrified right now... Should I get on antidepressant or Xanax or something?

i completely understand, im in the same position. im 23 and my hairloss has really affected my self-confidence. i had pretty thick hair when i started propecia 11 months ago but now its gotten so bad that i cant hide my diffuse thinning anymore. i avoid going out and seeing friends cause i am so insecure about my hair.

i shaved my head a few months ago and it made me feel so much worse. i dont look good with a shaved head. and now im at the point where it doesnt look like propecia will work so i've been extremely depressed. i had side effects with minoxidil so it looks like i have no hope.

i really cant handle going bald so quickly

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Boru said:
There was a bunch of monkeys and gorillas two million years ago playing a game of cards, and they were using fleas for money. The gorillas had more fleas because they were bigger and had more hair, and the monkeys complained about the situation. The head gorilla said, "We have to scratch harder to get the fleas, because our hair is thicker, and the head monkey said "Yeah, but our fleas are jumping onto you gorillas because you are hairier, so we can't win no matter how many hands we win." The referee was a neanderthal, who wore monkey and gorilla skins to keep warm, so obviously he was impartial. When the respective monkey and gorilla leaders asked him to arbitrate he wisely said, Shave, Shave and Shave again, all the fleas will jump on me, I have some new kind of evolving brain, I will be the brave new breed.
So evolution continued, and fleas kind of died out as homo sapiens evolved, played cards and became less and less hairy, until at last he only had hair on top of his head and between his legs and sometimes a bit on his chest and back, and had to invent a new kind of flea to gamble with. The new humanoids eventually decided to use metal money to play cards with, and when one of them got enough metal money he decided to spend it on buying new fur from expensive monkey doctors. When the majority of the humanoids got transplanted with the mutant monkey fur, the fleas repopulated the humans, and there was no more need for metal money, they could all get back to gambling with fleas again, and the monkeys and gorillas were rich again, and they were saved.
Boru

Boru... words just don't explain. :)

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Kosmo, I had the same problem. I had thick hair when starting Propecia, then it went very thin over the course of 10.5-11 months... Sad. I don't think I can cope with it either.

Boru

Established Member
Reaction score
Boru... words just don't explain. :)[/quote]

Sorry :freaked2: I deleted that joke because I didn't quite get to my point, which was that monkeys can go bald too. There was a thread about evolution and hair loss. Is male pattern baldness an indicator to the future? In the distant future, will we eventually become a hair-drug dependent species, ie. as baldness genes eventually affect a greater percentage of the population? Are we interfering too much with natural selection? By regrowing some of my hair, am I flouting the dictat of my genes? Are these questions relevant? Words, indeed, just don't explain.
Boru

incubusor

Established Member
Reaction score
Isn't male pattern baldness caused by hairs thinning over time - after shed, during regrowth they grow a little thinner, this cycle repeats itself until the hair stops growing.

With that said, how can 3 weeks make such a big difference? Are you shedding super thin hairs?

incubusor

Established Member
Reaction score
Bald spots occur because hair becomes colorless and eventually stops growing. This can't happen in 1 shed & regrowth. Its a very slow process.

I think your current dilemma is all pyschological, you're letting it get to you.

I saw your photos. You should be glad you do not have a weird shaped head. IF you do go completely bald in the distant future, you won't look bad.

You're 19 right? You have your whole life ahead of you. College, your career, girlfriends, good times etc. And HM will be available within 5-6 years. You'll BARELY be 24-25 then. You have a lot going in your favor. Good luck bro.

btp11

Established Member
Reaction score
dude, i just looked at your pics too. you look fine. if you ask me, the receding temples look doesnt look bad at all. believe me, its better than diffuse thinning. i would kill to have thicker hair but receding temples. you look good my man!

Aplunk1

Reaction score
Thanks man,
but the camera I have doesn't do my justice. I have very bad diffuse hair, that is obvious in any light. I'll try to upload some pictures when I get them.

wangho75

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Aplunk1 said:
Thanks man,
but the camera I have doesn't do my justice. I have very bad diffuse hair, that is obvious in any light. I'll try to upload some pictures when I get them.

hmmm, most people don't start Propecia because they have thick hair. Dude, quit shaving it and grow it long. It'll gain color and look thicker. Shaved head shows EVERYTHING and plus its old hat and out of style these days. No personality in that kind of haircut.

jeffsss

Reaction score
btp11 said:
dude, i just looked at your pics too. you look fine. if you ask me, the receding temples look doesnt look bad at all. believe me, its better than diffuse thinning. i would kill to have thicker hair but receding temples. you look good my man!

me too.

powersam

Reaction score
ive always found shorter haircuts made my hairloss far less noticeable. get a good haircut though, pay a bit of money for it. makes a huge difference as they know how to texture it so it looks reasonably thick