Itchy and irritated

MissU

Reaction score
Hi all. I've been using 2% minoxidil solution on my mildly thinning hair for 6 months. For the first month I used it once per day, just to ease into it. No problems, so then I added a second dose. Again, no major problems other than a bit of itching and dandruff. I was very pleased with the early results; no longer losing gobs of hair in the shower, and new hairs were filling in. However, at the end of the third month, my scalp became inflamed and horribly itchy. I mean, REALLY itchy. I got itchy bumps on the backs of my ears and neck. I was using Nizoral all along, but it didn't seem to help. I stopped all use of Minoxidil for about a week, until my scalp calmed down. I then began using it again once per day. It's now been about 2 months, and while the severe symptoms are gone, my scalp is still very, very itchy. I don't want to stop using minoxidil, because I am thrilled with the results in terms of regrowth and retarded hair loss.

I have been reading that it may be a reaction to this ingredient propylene glycol, which is apparently not in the foam version. However, the foam is only available in a 5% concentration. I'm wondering if the 5% foam once per day may continue the success of the treatment but without the irritation. Has anyone else gone this route? Also wondering how does one apply foam to the scalp when there is hair in the way. It seems to me that all of the foam would be on my hair and not on the scalp.

Cheers,
Miss U.

resu

Reaction score
Try using aloe vera once in a while, your best hope would be the foam or try to find a liquid version with less PG in it.

MissU

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. How does one find out how much ppg is in a given formula? I've just been using generic minoxidil solutions, one from Target, one from Rite-Aid. They are both made in Canada. Neither lists amounts of ppg.

resu

Reaction score
I don't know, you could try and look at amazon reviews.

HonnyBrown

Reaction score
Call the Rogaine Hotline and ask them. You can find their number on their website. They were very helpful when I called them.