is this female pattern balding?

cheryl

Reaction score
hi, im a 25yr old who started losing eye lashes last feb, this continues but has settled somewhat & i have them.moticed my hair shedding around june.large amounts went on for about 4 months and then reduced i usually lose about 40-50 when washing less when not which in literature says is normal.i also deveolped an itchy scalp where loss is, mainly just behind hair line and on temples.these areas are very thin and getting noticable.a dermatologist says its pttaern baldness.do peolple think it is? i never heard of this with eyelash loss and some eyebrow loss(minimal). ive also had lots of stress over last year but the doctor was unwilling to aknowledge this.All blood test normal. iam getting totally depressed by this and would thinking of suicide before goin bald. please help xx :cry:

G

well for starters, depression/stress is not going to help it will only make things worse. feel better :) also have you gotten a second opinion.. ?

totaldispHAIR

Established Member
Reaction score
A second opinion and working with a team of doctors is a great idea. Don't rely just on the opinion of one dermatologist. Have you seen a gynocologist to look at your hormone levels (normal means diddly, it's the ratio of your hormones in comparison to each other...and after having a derma. who didn't catch that my estro levels were too low, I'm all about relying on the gyno who's the expert in that area)? What about an endocrinologist?

I know it's really hard but there are a lot of options and good doctors out there -- don't just take the word of one doctor as the final answer. Keep researching on the web, be proactive in your own treatment...and take care of yourself. I know it sounds totally silly but exercise really does help the depression.

Take care and best of luck to you.

mariejoe

Established Member
Reaction score
cheryl said:
also deveolped an itchy scalp where loss is, mainly just behind hair line and on temples.these areas are very thin and getting noticable.

If your scalp it itchy, is it also tender, red and crusty? You may also have seborheic dermatitis (spelling? I can never remember).
Ask your derm. My derm gave me LIDEX and ELIDEL. These products help tremendously. Seb. derm. comes and goes. And untreated, can contrbute to hair loss.
Start using Nizoral, it helps the itching.

The more you know about hair loss, the better you can determine if your doctors are helpful/believable. Read; http://www.hairlosstalk.com/research/

totaldispHAIR is right! Exercise and eat well. The better you feel, the better you can cope. There are also alternatives to doctor's, see :http://www.hairlosstalk.com/productreviews/
and read through the forums. You'll find other sites mentioned in the forums for you to reaseach.

Good luck to you.

totaldispHAIR

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey! Have you had your thyroid tested? Hypothyroidism can cause eyebrow loss (not sure about the eyelashes). The flag for me is that you're also losing your eyebrows and eyelashes; FPB is on the head only and doesn't include the rest of your body hair. Have you looked at keratin.com? They've got a bunch of info on body hair loss too.