Is Peppermint Oil safe to use on scalp? | HairLossTalk Forums

Is Peppermint Oil safe to use on scalp?

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments' started by Joe1191, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Joe1191

Joe1191 Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    Before I get the expected "natural doesn't work" response, I'm fully aware that is believed by many.
    Is peppermint oil safe to use, as in it will not cause hair loss in an epilatory effect on scalp hair? As long as it can't cause further hair loss, I figure I'll drop a few bucks and see if I get anything out of it.
    Any other essential oil suggestions are welcome!

2. Giiizmo

Giiizmo Established Member

Dislikes Received:
    robot_hair likes this.
  3. mr_robot

mr_robot Experienced Member

Dislikes Received:
    I've used it as part of a regime over the last four months with excellent results and while I cant attribute the success to Peppermint Oil it certainly has does not seem to have done any harm either to hair or sides.

It has been in too many shampoos out there for years for it to be considered bad for hair or even dangerous. Of course if you put tons of it on your head, it's going to burn.

4. Afro_Vacancy

Afro_Vacancy Senior Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    There are countless chemicals used in tons of shampoos. It doesn't seem like a scientifically rigorous industry.

We also know in this forum that genuine hair treatments take a few months to have an effect. For most shampoos, people want to look and feel better the very next day.

5. mr_robot

Dislikes Received:
    As I said, it is in widespread use for years and in enough shampoos for it to have been flagged up. Millions of people take it orally in peppermint tea for centuries, if it was risky we'd have heard about it by now.

In the second study they used it specifically to target cancer sells and the inhibition PGE2 would be in white blood cells.

6. Afro_Vacancy

Afro_Vacancy Senior Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Sure -- if users dropped dead on sight.

But that's probably not happening.

Most likely, if peppermint oil has any effect at all, it has a very slow effect, and makes a minor change, either positive or negative, maybe to hair, maybe to boobs, maybe to something else. It would actually be very difficult to trace in that regard. Most of these shampoos probably also have peppermint oil in trace amounts regardless, and it will have zero effect.

Here's a link between tea tree oil / lavender and gynecomaestia in prepubescent boys in a very reputable journal. See how hard it was to identify?
    http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmoa064725

7. mr_robot

Dislikes Received:
    Regarding the shampoos, the amount used in shampoos cant be in trace amounts as it otherwise would not have the cooling effect that the menthol in peppermint oil produces. You cant put more peppermint oil on your head then what is in a shampoo as the burning sensation would be intolerable.

People don't have to drop dead. As I said previously, it has been consumed which for centuries in north Africa, if it was having a negative affect that resulted in a certain illness (or even benign trait) it would show up in regions where it drunk every day by millions of people.

I don't see how the example you gave me showed difficulty in identification, in fact it looks like they found the culprit relatively easily after investigation.

8. Saulus

Saulus Experienced Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    #8 Saulus, Jan 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    Afro_Vacancy likes this.
  9. Saulus

Saulus Experienced Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
  10. couldntthinkofaname

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
  11. Shai Foster

Shai Foster New Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Based on the name alone, I would not use it. Sounds like it would burn a bit if anything :p