Is dutasteride liver safe long term

sonictemples

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just curiouse guys

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
Just do your annual liver tests and adjust accordingly. If you’re that worried, do them more frequently

inmyhead

Reaction score
What if someone took duta half a year and then finasteride half a year?

NickyA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Just do your annual liver tests and adjust accordingly. If you’re that worried, do them more frequently

I agree with this, you especially want to check your liver enzymes, if they go up consistently, it's a sign that your liver may not be able to tolerate the medicine well. I wouldn't feel comfortable today taking oral dutasteride for more than 5 years, and I wouldn't drink more than three or four times a month if I was on it. People who take other meds chronically should be careful with it too, because most meds stress your liver, and adding oral dutasteride on top of that could be the detrimental in the medium or long term.

What if someone took duta half a year and then finasteride half a year?

It wouldn't make much sense, since dutasteride takes longer to work and has a much longer half life. You'd probably be better off taking it once or twice a week the way many users have done on this forum once finasteride alone failed to maintain their hair.

portaljar

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Great to hear from such a long term user, have you maintained completely in those 15 years?
I have not always been constant, I tried to reduce frequency over the years but when you reduce the dose you notice some hair loss, very slow but it happened that way. I stopped doing experiments and stayed taking 0.5 daily

portaljar

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Here is an expert trichologist who talks about the safety of dutateride in treating hair loss among other treatments.

Seuxin

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Just control you sgot/sgpt and ggt each year ;)
Drinking alcohol and eating sh*t is more bad for liver than dutasteride'

Stating facts

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
IMO it is not, I was on dutasteride orally and my liver enzymes were all over places. I am not a heavy alcohol drinker, maybe a couple of beers in a social setting.

Not to disrespect anyone, but I would personally do such test myself then to believe a random guy who says that he is on it for long term, and is safe or unsafe for liver.

My doctor told me that under 50 is good for ALT, and unless it is 3 folds above the necessary limit, they do not prescribe medication, and can be resolved just by looking and controlling the cause. He argued that on dutasteride, patients are more prone to get non alcohol fatty liver with longer use.

Pls_NW-1

My Regimen
Reaction score
IMO it is not, I was on dutasteride orally and my liver enzymes were all over places. I am not a heavy alcohol drinker, maybe a couple of beers in a social setting.

Not to disrespect anyone, but I would personally do such test myself then to believe a random guy who says that he is on it for long term, and is safe or unsafe for liver.
Correct. Imo try it out; but under a supervision of a doctor + lab results of hormone levels and liver enzyms, so you know in which way you harm your body.

Oriol

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm on it for 13 years. Did some blood work in February, ALT, AST and GGT were all in the normal reference range. But I also don't drink alcohol and I take care of my body: exercise, avoid bad foods and drink lots of water. So I guess that may help too.

Last edited:

jazz1

Reaction score
You can use milk thistle for liver.