Is a myth that eunuchs dont lose the hair?

armandein

Established Member
Reaction score
zeroes said:
Was the guy with no hair bald before castration?

Bald at early age? Possibly don't.
Also there is a eunich with the usual pattern of common hairloss.

zeroes

Experienced Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that castrated men fail to grow new hair. It will stop further loss.

So the question in these cases is at what level did they get castrated.

IMO castration = hair loss stop, Dht/test is required for new growth, but something else is involved in continual growth.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
armandein said:
What is your opinion?
For me is a myth eunuchs and no hairloss.

They may lose their hair, but apparently not from standard androgenetic alopecia. For example, they may lose it from extreme malnutrition, or from being treated for cancer by chemotherapy, etc. I can hardly believe that James Hamilton was wrong in all that work he did more than 50 years ago, showing that castrated men don't lose their hair from male pattern baldness.

armandein

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
armandein said:
What is your opinion?
For me is a myth eunuchs and no hairloss.

They may lose their hair, but apparently not from standard androgenetic alopecia. For example, they may lose it from extreme malnutrition, or from being treated for cancer by chemotherapy, etc. I can hardly believe that James Hamilton was wrong in all that work he did more than 50 years ago, showing that castrated men don't lose their hair from male pattern baldness.

Did you see Telogen Effluvium images of the real chinese eunuchs?
Do you think that these "important" people are in "extreme malnutrition" or treated with chemotherapy? LOL

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
armandein said:
Did you see Telogen Effluvium images of the real chinese eunuchs?
Do you think that these "important" people are in "extreme malnutrition" or treated with chemotherapy? LOL

I think there are legitimate medical reasons for why they lost their hair.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
armandein said:
In this case, which are them?

What are the legitimate medical reasons? I don't know what they are, but I'm sure they exist.

HairLossFreak

Reaction score
I remember reading that Red Indians do not lose their hair, or very rarely do. They also do not grow facial hair supposedly.

armandein

Established Member
Reaction score
HairLossFreak said:
I remember reading that Red Indians do not lose their hair, or very rarely do. They also do not grow facial hair supposedly.

but, Indians, Native Americans, weren't eunuchs. What is the link?

HairLossFreak

Reaction score
armandein said:
HairLossFreak said:

but, Indians, Native Americans, weren't eunuchs. What is the link?

There is no link, it was just a comment to see if anyone else had read this. As far as eunuchs are concerned, I have never heard of this before.

armandein

Established Member
Reaction score
Ah, OK.

One of the important keys of the current theory in common hairloss is based in eunuchs, Hamilton in the 40' wrote about this,..., but this phtos don't corroborate it.

K

kehcorpz

Testosterone and Growth hormone are among the hormones involved in the hair growth process. Women secrete it in the Ovaries and Adrenal glands can secrete some testosterone too. I don't even know why this topic comes up. Unless you are willing to cut your balls off and are doing research then it doesn't even matter.

zeroes

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Plenty of people have had castration done, no need for anyone to experiment.

armandein

Established Member
Reaction score
kehcorpz said:
Testosterone and Growth hormone are among the hormones involved in the hair growth process. Women secrete it in the Ovaries and Adrenal glands can secrete some testosterone too. I don't even know why this topic comes up. Unless you are willing to cut your balls off and are doing research then it doesn't even matter.

Main hormones in hair are made in the same pilosebaceous unit. Circulating hormones have a minor role.... There is a lot of studies regarding this issue,..., Bryan knows it very well

K

kehcorpz

armandein said:
kehcorpz said:

Main hormones in hair are made in the same pilosebaceous unit. Circulating hormones have a minor role.... There is a lot of studies regarding this issue,..., Bryan knows it very well

I'm not saying they are the only hormones involved, but circulating hormones do have an impact on hair growth. You make quite a bold statement for things even Scientists don't truly understand. We know that testosterone therapy has an impact on plasma lipoprotein profile. We know that injecting subcutaneous testosterone results in hair growth. In fact there are numerous studies promoting testosterone's hair growing abilities. It's speculated that with balding men the tissues in the region affected by hair loss converts the testosterone to DHT and testosterone stops having its effect on the hair growth. Hell, here's a study that shows testosterone injections increasing hair growth for women at the scalp.

Br J Dermatol. 2012 Feb;166(2):274-8. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2133.2011.10655.x. Epub 2012 Jan 9.

Improvement in scalp hair growth in androgen-deficient women treated with testosterone: a questionnaire study.

Glaser RL, Dimitrakakis C, Messenger AG.

Source

Millennium Wellness Center, 228 E. Spring Valley Road, Dayton, OH 45458, USA. rglaser@woh.rr.com

CONCLUSIONS:

Subcutaneous testosterone therapy was found to have a beneficial effect on scalp hair growth in female patients treated for symptoms of androgen deficiency. We propose this is due to an anabolic effect of testosterone on hair growth. The fact that no subject complained of hair loss as a result of treatment casts doubt on the presumed role of testosterone in driving female scalp hair loss. These results need to be confirmed by formal measurements of hair growth.

There's no flat out answers to provide in this thread. I'm simply stating that there are numerous processes involved in the hair cycle that we do not understand and part of that is testosterone and growth hormone. In fact people with growth hormone deficiencies also lose hair while people with acromelagy tend to exhibit hypertrichosis. If you understand the hair growth process so much why haven't you found the cure for balding?