IS A HAIR TRANSPLANT PERMANENT OR NOT?

kisstopherp

Reaction score
Okay I'm really confused, is a hair transplant permanent or not? Why do people require like 2 hair transplant or more? Is it because the doctor was really bad, or is it they had an old technique performed which doesn't have the results of the new techniques. I'm confused. I'm 26 and losing my hair at a good pace and was eventually planning on getting one, but i can't affored to get more than 1 done in my lifetime. who has time and money for that? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

supernova

Established Member
Reaction score
They are perm, but the rest of your original, non transplanted scalp hair will still gradually fall out, and you've got to replace that density with new transplants.

Luckybre

Reaction score
Kiss,
Super is right, but also you may need more than one translpant for other reasons. One reason would be density, you may have one procedure and decide the density is not what you want. Also, you may need another one farther down the road, just because of all over hair loss. Make sure if you decide to get one to look into your doctors. Make sure you find one that does lateral slits and puts the slits close together. This will ensure better density.

kisstopherp

Reaction score
thanks for the replies. However I have another question, how do you know that the hair that falls out is your original hair and not just your transplanted hair?

Luckybre

Reaction score
Well if they are in the area you had a transplant in, you can't tell if they are your original or transplanted hair. If they come out of the other areas then they are obviously your original hair.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Technically you wouldn't be able to know which is which since both transplanted and original hairs share the same area.

Keeping on a hair loss treatment regimen is always recommended even after transplants. A transplant doesn't automatically mean you don't need Propecia or Rogaine or both, anymore.

In order to maintain the hair that is still there, which may ultimately fall out, you would be advised to continue on a maintenance regimen like Propecia + Nizoral, even after the transplant.

HairLossTalk.com

kisstopherp

Reaction score
I understand. but what if you are completely bald (which i read is recommended eventhough i will never let that happen) and than have a transplant do you need to continue with a regimin? thanks for the responses.

not me!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think that it is a personal choice in whether you want to contiunue with a regimen or not. My question is: "Why wouldn't you want to continue a regimen?"

Though hair transplantation surgery is relatively (relatively, being a strong word) painless surgical procedure in the RIGHT hands, popping a pill and rubbing some minoxidil on your head once (or maybe twice) a day is much less troublesome, in my opinion.

If you are going to invest in a hair transplant procedure, then it is in your best interest to protect your new asset with as much ammo as you can.

BadHairDecade

Reaction score
kisstopherp said:
I understand. but what if you are completely bald (which i read is recommended eventhough i will never let that happen) and than have a transplant do you need to continue with a regimin? thanks for the responses.
If you're completely bald you Can't have a hair transplant. Nothin from nothin leaves nothin....Where's the donor hair going to come from?

G

Hi there Kiss im going back for my second procedure in May 2005 this year.I had 1300 grafts put in 8 months ago now and are happy but want to really thicken it up so im getting another 1100 grafts in the front region again.

Damo

pbz

Established Member
Reaction score
BadHairDecade said:
kisstopherp said:
If you're completely bald you Can't have a hair transplant. Nothin from nothin leaves nothin....Where's the donor hair going to come from?

My guess is that he meant "if you've developed a full horse-shoe", or something like that.

G

He is right if you have nothing there then you cant transplant any hair as theres none there.But most guys have hair at the back and sides of the head as thats where genetically it doesnt go bald.So if you have hair there then yes you can transplant as much as nature will allow you too.

Damo

kiwi1973

Established Member
Reaction score
kisstopherp said:

do you mean if your a nw6 or 7 and get a transplant, and only transplanted hair are on the top of you head do you need to keep on the drugs?

even if you are a Norwood 6 or 7 you can still thin on the sides( have a look around and you will see a few guys with very very little amount of hair, what looks like a few hundred wispy hairs)
so if your a Norwood 6 and get a hair transplant if you use finastaride you can help keep your donor area

G

Permenant is right, the little buggers stay there for a lifetime thankgod otherwise you wouldnt waste your $$$$ on getting a hair transplant

Damo