Irishpride86's Story - (22 / Propecia 7 month update PICS!)

king-

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Re: Propecia 4 mounth update

irishpride86 said:
Ok my name is Ryan I have been reading these boards for about 3 months now. Very helpful I must add.

Ok so I am 22 soon to be 23... I used to have really thick hair and did not think much of hair loss. My father is 51 and had a full head of hair as well as his dad which is 76. The only hair loss in my whole family is on my moms side her father was pretty much bald by the time he was 30.

I went to see the doctor and told her i was STARTING to thin .. and that I want to keep AT LEAST what I have left. I asked about Propecia and she gave it to me and then i popped my first 1 mg pill on 1/13/09.

Well as time went on my hair began to shed ... not just shed BUT I LOST ABOUT 30% of my hair in 4 months ... i'm attaching pictures so you guys can see what I mean ... I have woken up in the morning and wanted to stop taking it ... But im afraid if I stop taking it more hair will fall out ... but what does not make since to me is that even though hair did not really fall out before and now its falling everywhere why would it keep falling out after i stop taking it ?

Anyway I know there are some sheds you may go through but this has been going on for 4 months and its bad ... the sad part is that I don't know what to do anymore... i'm only 22 and i'm trying to avoid further hair loss..

So I went back to the doctor at month 3 and she said shedding does not happen on Propecia and that if i shed it was prolly just timing that my hair got worse right when I starting taking it... which is total bullshit.

So what do you guys think do you think i may have improved or not improved .. i mean the shedding is getting worse and worse and its been over 4 months now... I dont want to start rogaine because I heard you only use that if there is a bald spot and that im my stage I should just use propecia alone... what do you guys think...

this sucks because now I wish i did nothing about my hair loss because now its really bad since i went on the meds !!!

Ryan

99.9% its a shed just keep taking it , im in the same position as you my hair is getting worse and im on month 3 , itll get better

Obsidian

Reaction score

Yeah man whatever you do don't quit. I really didn't get great results in till after 6 months.

ezekiel

Reaction score

99.9% its a shed just keep taking it , im in the same position as you my hair is getting worse and im on month 3 , itll get bette

How can u tell if u haven't had any succes yet? I'm at the end of month 6 on propecia and my hair is still thinning out a bit. Overall it feels more soft and fuzzy and I really don't know if that is a good thing. At least my hairline hasn't moved.
Does anybody know how to explain a shed over 3-6 months on propecia without any signs of regrowth? I just don't get it...

king-

Experienced Member
Reaction score

ezekiel said:
99.9% its a shed just keep taking it , im in the same position as you my hair is getting worse and im on month 3 , itll get bette

How can u tell if u haven't had any succes yet? I'm at the end of month 6 on propecia and my hair is still thinning out a bit. Overall it feels more soft and fuzzy and I really don't know if that is a good thing. At least my hairline hasn't moved.
Does anybody know how to explain a shed over 3-6 months on propecia without any signs of regrowth? I just don't get it...

because its all about being confident and having faith , its too early to tell even for me , give it a year max if nothing is getting better id say jump on minoxidil

ezekiel

Reaction score

king- said:
ezekiel said:

because its all about being confident and having faith , its too early to tell even for me , give it a year max if nothing is getting better id say jump on minoxidil

If after a year nothing got better but everything got worse, what's my benefit of having started with propecia again? I mean seriously if a drug that was designed to slow down hairloss worsens it from the exact moment you start to take it, how can anybody still say "that's ur natural male pattern baldness and procecia just doesn't work for u"??? If Dutasteride is well known to cause hairloss in these forums - keeping in mind it works similar to finasteride - why does everyone keeps saying propecia can't?

Curious108

Established Member
Reaction score

irishpride86 said:
if I get off of it then my hair shoudl thicken back to where it was before i started right ????

I'd like to know the answer to this.

icdalite

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Irishpride86's Story - (22 / Propecia 4 mounth update PICS!)

DO not, i repeat do not get on to minoxidil so soon.

Curious108

Established Member
Reaction score

irishpride86 said:
oh god so im stuck with propecia even if it caused me to loss hair and then if i stop i will contuine to loss hair more rapid the ever before ... i wish i had a time machine because this damn pill will be the end of me.... i thought if you stop propecia you would return to what your hair was like before you started...

Im just looking for answers im gona stay on the pill till month 9.

I've never heard of someone taking propecia, shedding and never growing anything better back in it's place.

I mean, I've heard alot of bad stories about sides, but it causing people to be more bald was never one of them.

The odds are your hair will grow back as expected and it'll work, you should be thankful you aren't experiencing any of the dreaded penile side effects so many people are burdened with.

Plus, looking at your picture, if you grew your hair a little longer it wouldn't look bad when styled. Even though it is thinner.

docsspain

Reaction score

Excellent results!!! Now, I am four months with Proscar 1/4 and my hair is the same as when I started. I supose my hair needs more time than yours.

king-

Experienced Member
Reaction score

ok conclusion is stop being on this forum worrying about it , and try to keep it off your mind and ride it out for a few more months

ezekiel

Reaction score

irishpride86 said:
ok ... im gona follow your advice ... lets hope the sheds dont get worse i mean how much worse can they get, right ? ... i have shed a lot theres nothing to do but to gain it all back ... we'll see... i'll update you guys in 1 month which will be 5 months on the propecia .... my hair should be grown back in and I'LL TAKE PICS... wish me luck!

You just shed hair for 4 months and u think u will get it back in only one? Dream on buddy.... It's going to take a lot more time IF it ever happens.

Curious108

Established Member
Reaction score

ezekiel said:
irishpride86 said:
ok ... im gona follow your advice ... lets hope the sheds dont get worse i mean how much worse can they get, right ? ... i have shed a lot theres nothing to do but to gain it all back ... we'll see... i'll update you guys in 1 month which will be 5 months on the propecia .... my hair should be grown back in and I'LL TAKE PICS... wish me luck!

You just shed hair for 4 months and u think u will get it back in only one? Dream on buddy.... It's going to take a lot more time IF it ever happens.

If?

I've never heard of someone shedding on propecia and not getting it back.

If it doesnt grow back then effectively propecia just made him more bald..

Has this been common in your experience?

ezekiel

Reaction score

Unfortunately I know plenty of guys that got off worse of propecia after a year and longer. Shedding means that new hair is already growing in and pushing the old hair out, so regrowth should be seen quickly. That's why many people shed a lot of hair when using Minoxidil, because it's an growth stimulant.
Now can anyone explain me why blocking DHT would cause a shedding over several months without visible regrowth?

icdalite

Established Member
Reaction score

hey Ezekiel, I'd been on minoxidil for a year and I cannot recollect a week or month when I did not shed 50-100 hairs everyday. Never got any major regrowth.

I'm closing in on a year next month on finasteride and I can say that in the past 2 months I would'nt have shed more that 5-10 hairs a day. I've thinned out a lot and I can say that its more due to minoxidil and in the past 2 months my hair loss has stabilised due to finasteride.

Can you explain that first?

irishpride, just reiterating wat most of the other guys have advised you.... do not start minoxidil now. Give finasteride a year atleast and then use minoxidil as a last resort thingy.

BodyDysmorphic

Reaction score

keto found in nizoral can increase hair shaft diameter

has been shown to be as effective as a growth stimulate as 2% minoxidil

it also reduces inflammation underlining cause of male pattern baldness

i think using nizoral 3x a week couldn't hurt and the gains could be stupendous

cheers mate

docsspain

Reaction score

irishpride86 said:
WAIT !!!! WAIT.....

The above poster is confused .... he looked at my pics before I started and thought it was the end result ....

It's not my hair has INFACT lost about 30% in 4 month all due to propecia... go back and read my first post !!!

Yes it is true, my english has deceived me again.
I have never seen such a big shedding only with propecia, but what I think is that you would have to wait. It is said that we would have to wait almost 9 months or more to see results with this medicine.

king-

Experienced Member
Reaction score

irishpride86 said:
ok i gave in .... i bought a bottle of 1% nizorial... I SO HOPE this does not cause more shedding ... im only going to use it 3 times a week and leave it on for 2-3 mins max....

Like i've stated before I have been shedding for over 4 months now ALL due to propecia I JUST started using the nizorial shampoo....

I STILL have not seen or read a post of someone that has been in my place and lossing 30-40% of there hair on propecia alone... and then BAM! it comes back to AT LEAST what it was before they started...and the loss is from the middle to the front ( strange) I hope it is infact male pattern baldness... ?

so the waiting game contunies....

:(

brother im in your shoes , im confident but at times i also question my self and get depressed just hang in there bro try to think positive and while your at it go check your thyroid incase .......good job on getting nizoral

Axl_Rose

Established Member
Reaction score

Keep us updated with the results from your thyroid test. Good luck.

Tyler_Durden

Established Member
Reaction score

It is a massive difference between pic 1 and 3, damning actually. My situation isn't to dissimilar, I jumped on finasteride at the first signs of male pattern baldness (it is in my family), but it was only thinning at the temples. Since taking finasteride it has definitely gotten worse, at a quicker rate then it would have IMO (I judge this off my brother who is two years older and whose hair is better than mine now). But I'm only 4-5 months in and although it looks worse now, I think it should get better.
I base a lot of my hope off reading stories in the success stories thread, you should have a look over there.

It is hard for any of us to give you the precise answers you want though man, we can only quote what the research on propecia has found and that is that it helps hair loss. It is still a bit scary seeing this.

The way I see it though is you have two options.
You can either ride it out and get to the point where most people report results, which is about the 8 month mark. I'd probably recommend this, I mean there is no reason why Propecia should cause you to lose hair and never have it come back... It doesn't really make logical sense. Maybe consider lowering your dosage because it might have shocked your system when you first took it.

Or you can jump off now and hope to go back to where you were when you started. This might happen, I can't say definitively either way... I'd say most of it will probably come back, Propecia doesn't kill hair follicles after all.
But to see you shed so much, makes me think you were on course for this anyways and that Propecia just sped up the process. Hopefully on Propecia those hairs come back stronger and not as sensitive to DHT.

Whatever you do make sure you keep us updated on what you do and post regular pictures so you can get a second opinion on where you are at. Stay positive though man, things are never as bad as you think. Like I said before, the hair follicles won't just instantly die, some people report there is a 30 month window from when you lose a hair til it dies. So hopefully even in a year if Propecia doesn't work, you can go off it and your hair will come back in theory.

Good luck.

ezekiel

Reaction score

finfighter said:
ezekiel said:
Unfortunately I know plenty of guys that got off worse of propecia after a year and longer. Shedding means that new hair is already growing in and pushing the old hair out, so regrowth should be seen quickly. That's why many people shed a lot of hair when using Minoxidil, because it's an growth stimulant.
Now can anyone explain me why blocking DHT would cause a shedding over several months without visible regrowth?
Yes I can tell you why- When dht reverses the minaturization process it sometimes causes the old minaturized hairs to shed ,those hairfollicles of the shed hairs, become dormant for up to three months, before the new thicker hairs emerge.

Where did you read this crap? Shedding is always a sign for regrowing hair pushing out the old hair but this new hair can be minaturized as well. Androgenetic alopecia causes the hair cycles to shorten which is why you lose more hair than average.
Those 'dormant' hair follicles you were speaking of are those which are temporarily resting but still hold onto telogen hair. Remember, if you do a trichoscan anagen/telogen-ratio is judged by the different lengths of hairs which previously have been shaved.