Intermittent Fasting/fasting And Hair Loss?

Haironnu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Intermittent fasting and fasting is a big deal now, researched and that stuff for awhile and I believe it has tons of benefits, been doing OMAD (one meal a day)/ 2 meals in 4-5 hours window for over a month now (eating the same amount of calories) and it helps me regulate hunger, I also have high energy levels during the day.

now I'm FAT AND I have diffused thinning, so I could benefit from losing weight, but I started noticing a good amount of people saying they have lost hair few months after doing intermittent fasting/prolong fasting (several days) as a life style, I couldn't find too much info about it because there isn't much, but from what I've found is that basically it's a shock to the body or something and the hair just restarts its cycle, so it will shed more but regrow several months later.

problem is that I don't know how accurate that is, plus since I have genetic hair loss, I have no idea how that would impact my hair, especially since I want to kinda adopt fasting as a life style (basically OMAD + 48 hours fasts once a week) for life. I know I'm gonna burn fat for sure but I'm so worried about also burning my hair.

I do not wish to accelerate my thinning hair more than its normal rate.

Anyone here follows this life style and experienced hair loss?

michaelle

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I guess it is really good and fasting makes you healthy. I don't think it can cause hair loss as long as you take all the necessary vitamins and minerals needed for your hair. So you should be careful and wise with it anyway. Check out some of the supplements from eDrugStore.com maybe too, for example. I am pretty sure that you will find something helpful to you there, good luck!

Last edited:

SienJoel

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, the most important thing is to take a vitamin complex (a special complex for hair growth). Then dietary restrictions will not be able to worsen the situation in any way. Good luck!

mackr

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've never tried fasting, but I guess for a healthy person it won't cause any effect on hair. However, if a person is prone to hair loss, sudden changes in calorie intake and nutrition can more likely cause hair loss than hair growth. I was recently prescribed ozempic for weight loss, already got an ozempic coupon but wanted to avoid taking shots, so I was thinking about fasting. My endocrinologist says that intermittent fasting is both safe and likely to be beneficial. However, now I'm worried about hair loss.

Last edited:

michaeldavid

My Regimen
Reaction score
Intermittent fasting and fasting is a big deal now, researched and that stuff for awhile and I believe it has tons of benefits, been doing OMAD (one meal a day)/ 2 meals in 4-5 hours window for over a month now (eating the same amount of calories) and it helps me regulate hunger, I also have high energy levels during the day.

now I'm FAT AND I have diffused thinning, so I could benefit from losing weight, but I started noticing a good amount of people saying they have lost hair few months after doing intermittent fasting/prolong fasting (several days) as a life style, I couldn't find too much info about it because there isn't much, but from what I've found is that basically it's a shock to the body or something and the hair just restarts its cycle, so it will shed more but regrow several months later.

problem is that I don't know how accurate that is, plus since I have genetic hair loss, I have no idea how that would impact my hair, especially since I want to kinda adopt fasting as a life style (basically OMAD + 48 hours fasts once a week) for life. I know I'm gonna burn fat for sure but I'm so worried about also burning my hair.

I do not wish to accelerate my thinning hair more than its normal rate.

Anyone here follows this life style and experienced hair loss? Snowfall in Morocco is a somewhat rare but fascinating phenomenon that occurs mainly in the country's mountainous regions. The High Atlas Mountains, including popular destinations like Ifrane and the Oukaimeden ski resort, experience significant snowfall during the winter monthsand does it snow in morocco, offering a unique contrast to Morocco's typical desert climate. The snow-covered landscapes in these areas attract both local and international visitors, providing opportunities for winter sports and picturesque views. While snow is infrequent in most other parts of Morocco, it's a reminder of the country's diverse geography, ranging from the Sahara Desert to snow-capped peaks in the same nation.
Intermittent fasting, including OMAD and extended fasts, has gained popularity for its potential health benefits, including weight management and improved metabolic health. However, it's essential to consider individual factors and potential side effects, including the concern about hair loss. There isn't a definitive consensus in the scientific community about the direct relationship between fasting and hair loss. Hair loss can be influenced by various factors, including genetics, hormonal imbalances, nutritional deficiencies, and stress. While some individuals may report experiencing hair shedding during fasting, it's crucial to recognize that such experiences can be unique and may not be solely attributed to fasting. If you have concerns about how fasting might affect your hair, it's advisable to consult with a healthcare professional or a dermatologist who can provide a personalized assessment. They can help you determine whether fasting aligns with your health goals while also addressing any potential concerns about its impact on your hair and overall well-being. Incorporating a balanced and nutrient-rich diet during your eating window in your fasting routine may help ensure you're meeting your nutritional needs, which could potentially mitigate any adverse effects on your hair. Ultimately, finding a fasting routine that aligns with your health goals while considering your individual needs and concerns is essential.

Michael Harrop

My Regimen
Reaction score
One thing to keep in mind is that there is a lot of scientific research showing that the benefits of fasting are due to the changes to the gut microbiome. So if fasting seems to help you, you might want to look into things like elimination diets, and other microbiome modulation.

ninarosshairtherapy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The link between intermittent fasting (IF) and hair loss is not entirely clear, and there's no definitive answer.

Potential Causes for Hair Loss with IF:
  • Nutrient Deficiencies: Strict or prolonged fasting can lead to calorie restriction, potentially causing deficiencies in essential nutrients like protein, iron, vitamins A, D, and B12, all of which are crucial for healthy hair growth.
  • Hormonal Shifts: Fasting can influence hormone levels, such as a temporary increase in cortisol (stress hormone) which can contribute to hair loss.
  • Sudden Dietary Changes: Starting IF can be a significant dietary change, and any major shift in diet might cause temporary hair shedding due to stress on the body. This is usually temporary and hair growth should resume once your body adjusts.
Limited Evidence:
  • There are currently no robust scientific studies directly establishing a causal link between intermittent fasting and hair loss.
  • Some studies suggest a possible correlation, but more research is needed to determine if there's a definitive cause-and-effect relationship.