interims solution before wearing the first piece?

Dan1980

Reaction score
Hey there,

I'm from Germany and till today I've only been reading here without posting my own stuff. After months of search on the web I am now quite convinced that, in my case, a hairpiece will be the only solution for my head. 27 years old now, I've been suffering - and I mean really "suffering" (mentally) - from hairloss since I was 18. My status may be described as "Norwood 5", however the hairline is slightly better than a "usual NW5", but the crown looks (on a quite large area) really horrible to me!! To sum it up I could "live" with my hairline (althought I don't like it) but my crown is a really serious problem to me. I already shaved my head down to 3 mm, and ran around like that for about 2 years, but I am really fed up with that look, and have let them grow a bit longer now.

On another forum, folks suggested, when I once posted some pics of mine, that I should go for a piece only covering my crown and leave the hairline as it is, for a best possible naturalness. Maybe this will be it, maybe I'll also have the hairline shaved and take a piece that gives me a slightly lower hairline (as mine has become very high).

My main concern is now that I haven't seriously considered taking this hairpiece step much earlier. So, people who know be (about 30 relatives, 10 friends and 50 students at college) know me with my eye-catching bald patch on the crown (about the size of a CD!). And all those people would definitely notice all at once that I'm wearing a piece, no question, even if it was the best piece in the world. The point is not that today's pieces wouldn't be undetectable, but, well, that they know that I've been rapidely balding for a long time! :(

We are on semester break these days and I won't see most of the folks before October. However, this time span would be too short to manage to get one's first hairpiece unhurriedly. So I've tried out if Toppik can make my status appear denser week by week, so that people at college could watch me improving continuosly instead of suddenly having "full" hair again. But I ended up with the opinion that Toppik and I won't become friends. It looks... "so-so", also rather fake than natural, but mostly annoying is that it isn't really weather-proof and it kinda snows out of my hair over the day although I've really fixed it as well as possible. It might be a nice product at the beginning of hairloss but is appearingly not made for NW5 people.

Concerning the hairpiece, I would, of course take the lowest density possible for a beginning, but as 40-50% is still so far more than what I have today on my crown (2% ???), it will be a dramatic change. I would like to have a superfine Swiss Lace overall, and for financial reasons consider ordering with Coolpiece or Toplace or somewhat comparible, or even one of those one-way stuff, starting with a very, very low density first and step to slightly fuller hair with every change.

But still I need a solution for the weeks before putting on my first system. I want people to get the picture of me wearing a bald crown out of their short-time memories... I'm just thinking about wearing an unobtrusive headpiece, i.e. a hat or something, like other folks at uni (without hair problem) do as well. Do you think that can help make the picture of my being bald more un-present in their mind, so that I could return form hollyday with cap/hat/whatever, and with a 50% hairpiece the other semester? (that would be 6 months of not exposing my crown to "public viewing") The desired result shall be that after all in all 9-10 they will surely notice that "somehow" my hair status most have improved enormously over that time, but "how" this has developed remains free to their fantasy...

Any other suggestions?

MichiganBaldy

Established Member
Reaction score
Perhaps give one of the other concealers a try, as they are each different and maybe you`ll like one of them.

This one has gained alot of popularity over the others-
http://www.combat-hair-loss.co.uk/nanof ... vie-hq.php

I know it looks funny at first, with him shaking it over his head like a seasoner, but the final results do look very good in the end.

barlowtech

Reaction score
actually... i've been dealing with the same issue (having everyone know I'm balding - and then one day just "showing up" with new hair)..

Instead of trying to hide the progress, I've decided to go the "other" way with it. Slowly tell friends/family that I've tried this "bald" thing for a while now, and simply prefer to have hair, and that I'm thinking about getting a hair piece. Don't act like you're trying to fool anyone, just let them know that you prefer the way you look WITH hair, and that you're thinking about doing something about it.

Then, when you show up one day with a hair piece, it won't be such a surprise. They'll still know it's a piece, but it won't be like you're trying to fool them. (which, it would be highly unlikely that you would be able to in the 1st place)

ToupMaster

Established Member
Reaction score
I like the idea of telling those very close to you.... ie immediate family or roomates, possibly close office friends... that you are going to try something out... before proceeding.

But as far as fellow students and co workers noticing your new crown hair... Most will NOT. They really arn't as concerned as you think, nor looking at your baldness as much as you yourself.

I put a thinskin unit on a dude who was slick topped, 7.5" x 9.5" and cut it down to a 1" spiked style..... He's been slick bald for years and people that evening at the Bar which he worked... had comments like "I like you with the beard!" (beard had been there for 5 years), "Did you get a perm?" (Duh)

The only people around you that really notice your hair loss (other than irritating brothers) are those guys who are also loosing their hair... and what they are watching, is to see if you have lost more or less, than THEY have.