I'm using finasteride - is this shedding rate normal?

Finn1

Reaction score
Hi!

I've been on proscar 1,25 mg/day nearly 7 months. But I still lose every single day at least 100-150 hairs. It's strange that my daily shedding hasn't decreased even a bit. I'm 23, Norwood 1,5 and have only diffuse thinning.

Have any of you experienced the same? This shedding is freaking me and I'm getting desperate. Are here on HairLossTalk.com other diffuse thinners who could help me please. How many hairs you lose a day, roughly and did finasteride helped you?

Please please.

Racer

Reaction score
I am a diffuse thinner too. I shampoo my hair every other day and on those days I lose about 40-50 hairs and on days I don't shampoo about 15 (still wetting my hair). But this is only in the shower. I lose 2-3 when I do the minoxidil routine each time and god knows how many during the day (negligible when I sleep coz I could never find more than a handful of hair on my pillow every week)

Apart from the shedding, have you noticed thinning out much over that time? They say it is not what you lose but what you grow back that matters.

20something

Established Member
Reaction score
I would have to think that if you're counting ~100-150 hairs explicitly then you're losing a bit more than that during your day to day routine. I probably notice ~50-75 hairs in the shower/pillow/combing but no doubt my daily loss is at least 100+.

Do you notice your hair getting better or worse?

Finn1

Reaction score
20something:

I don't know exactly is my hair getting better or worse. I've taken pictures from April, but my hair is now longer than what it was in April or in May. So it is quite difficult to compare, But I have a feeling that my hair has thinned a bit.

Anyway, I think that losing 150 hairs a day is too much. And it's strange that finasteride hasn't really helped in daily shed rate. Can finasteride even increase shedding (which have lasted 7 months!)? But I'm afraid of quitting finasteride for a couple of weeks to see the difference...

20something

Established Member
Reaction score
Concensus seems to be that you should stick with finasteride (and your regimen) for at least 12 months before making any concrete decisions. Are you using Nizoral? You should alternate that every 2 or 3 days.

A lot of people are using folligen to help with their sheds.