If something tramautic happened to you right now

Stabber

Established Member
Reaction score
Would you be able to handle it? Seems so many of us here are already so brittle and fragile from the hairloss battle. If you were diagnosed with a serious disease, had abad car accident etc.. would you be able to take it mentally?

DonaldAnderson

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If I was in a bad accident or had a serious disease I think I would stop worrying so much about hairloss. The battle with hairloss may have made me stronger and I would appreciate my life more no matter with hairloss or without.

SE-freak

Reaction score
I agree with you both. I think that the psycological trip due to hairloss is making all of us stronger somehow. On the other hand, I feel like I am on the edge. A little more, and I break.

Weepy

Established Member
Reaction score
SE-freak said:
I agree with you both. I think that the psycological trip due to hairloss is making all of us stronger somehow. On the other hand, I feel like I am on the edge. A little more, and I break.

I am with you. I was about to scream this evening in my car. I felt so lost. It will get better. Try and do something diverting.

My biggest fear is that I will lose all focus. Away from my work. My goals.

In some sense, hair loss seems to close doors to some things. I am trying to remind myself that, realistically, I still have options, even if it all does go bad.

Jeff71913

Reaction score
I know that hairloss hurts, but... I was in Florida about a year ago and heard that a young woman of about 18, or 19 years of age had got her pretty long blonde hair caught in a machine and it had ripped her scalp and half of her face off. The Doctors were trying to put everything back in place, but the tissue was dying. WHAT A WONDERFUL STORY! (B.S.) And we complain about our hairloss.... IT COULD BE WORSE!

SE-freak

Reaction score
Jeff71913 said:
I know that hairloss hurts, but... I was in Florida about a year ago and heard that a young woman of about 18, or 19 years of age had got her pretty long blonde hair caught in a machine and it had ripped her scalp and half of her face off. The Doctors were trying to put everything back in place, but the tissue was dying. WHAT A WONDERFUL STORY! (B.S.) And we complain about our hairloss.... IT COULD BE WORSE!

I cannot understand this "league" of arguments. No one said that hairloss is the worst thing that could happen to you. Each one bears his own burden. Things can trouble you although they might seem trivial when something else is the reference.

Hairloss has a strange psychology behind it. It pulls some specific strings. It is slow, and highly symbolic of the loss of youth. It is a deterioration of some sort, that you have to monitor each day in the mirror. Hair becomes a point of reference.

I fully understand people's frustration over this. You are losing yourself in a very obvious way. And when the day ends, you feel kind of mutilated.

I am not into this for pussy, or fame. I am just trying to hold on to something I consider a part of me.

jeffsss

Reaction score
SE-freak said:
Jeff71913 said:

I cannot understand this "league" of arguments. No one said that hairloss is the worst thing that could happen to you. Each one bears his own burden. Things can trouble you although they might seem trivial when something else is the reference.

Hairloss has a strange psychology behind it. It pulls some specific strings. It is slow, and highly symbolic of the loss of youth. It is a deterioration of some sort, that you have to monitor each day in the mirror. Hair becomes a point of reference.

I fully understand people's frustration over this. You are losing yourself in a very obvious way. And when the day ends, you feel kind of mutilated.

I am not into this for pussy, or fame. I am just trying to hold on to something I consider a part of me.

well said.

I feel as if I won't act the same with less hair also. I just feel self consious.. dunno how to explain it.

I already act differently and wear a hat whenever i can. damn i hate it.

Weepy

Established Member
Reaction score
SE-freak said:
Jeff71913 said:

Damn. That was good.

DaSand

Established Member
Reaction score
SE-freak said:
Jeff71913 said:

Well said SE-freak!

Bash

Established Member
Reaction score
SE-freak said:
Jeff71913 said:

Gotta say, that was well said.

YoungAndThin

Established Member
Reaction score
wow very well put SE-Freak. That's how I've always felt about hairloss. Sometimes I think I could deal with having a major surgery or the death of a loved one much easier than I can deal with male pattern baldness. As stupid as it sounds it's true.

Like you said male pattern baldness only seems to affect you in certain areas and not others.

TheOliviaTremorControl

Established Member
Reaction score
Can't say I'm in it for the same reasons as SE-Freak.
I hate to be shallow, but I'm in it for the sheer fact that I'd be ugly as a bald male, and if grade 7 taught me anything, its that I *AM* ugly as a bald male.

I mean yeah, its fine and dandy to say that not all women are shallow, or who needs the shallow ones, anyway? But at the end of the day, the media is the end-all be-all of influence, and it has shaped many a girls lives.

During a conversation with my girlfriend the other day, a bald man was mentioned and she eww'd at the thought of baldness. No, she isn't shallow. She's one of the most incredibly unshallow, intelligent girls I've ever met. But she has been socially trained to dislike certain aspects, as all girls have. Genetically, women are programmed to find ideal mates. This is why fat people sit at home and brad pitt could pork any girl on the face of the earth.

Heres some hope for you guys, though: I may have it worse than some of you. Not only do I face certain baldness, I'm already genetically inferior, physically speaking. Having red hair, and pale, freckled, skin, I already faced much, much, much humiliation and ridicule at the expense of what my parents genes have given me. So who cares if you're bald, at least you aren't with a pale, shiny scalp, and eyebrows so opaque as to appear nonexistent.

I'm only in the first stages of hairloss, but already I know the intense frustration of being socially ridiculed for possessing particular traits. I mean, I'm already experienced the social ridicule that will also accompany balding, but that doesn't mean I can't still cry. Society has already mastered discrimination to a genetic level.

arcillis

Reaction score
well, i totally agree with s-e freak.......well, firstly, i'd like to say something myself. Well, this all started around a year ago, my downfall. Around in last june, this is when i really noticed my hair loss, like it was evident that i had male pattern baldness. Well, this was such a shock since i just turned sixteen. Then 2 months later, some thing really bad happened. i dont wanna talk about what it was, but it was like the "feeling" you gett, when u find out that someone in your family dies, or you parents get divorce. Well, that was all downhill from there. well, that caused me to go in major depression, and then one think let to another. i mean, its so hard to deal with these thing when you are so young, and dont know how to cope with them. Well, later in march, i had to go to a psychiatrist to get check up since i was literally looking like sh*t. i mean it showed, that something was wrong with me. My dad is a doctor himself and he insisted that i shouldnt get on any medicines, like prozac and stuff. The psychiatrist even said, that i have what is known as clinical depression. A week, later for another appointment with him, and he told me i have a disorder. It is known as borderline personality disorder. Well, it is like, when a person who has severe depression usually triggers it. Well, i was like i have hit rock bottom. i mean, what next, i am gonna get some sortta cancer or something, and trust me, knowing my luck, i would probably get it. No offensive guyz, but my life sucks atm. On top of that, i found out couple of weeks ago, that when i was young, i had a disease known as Septicemia, and the chance for that being fatal was around 95%. How lucky am i...lol..Well, since the last three month, i gave a serious thought for commiting suicide, but i ended up thinking otherwise. The only reason i didnt do it was because of my family, especially my mom. i know that she wouldnt be able to go through the whole thing.
and btw, back to hairloss. hairloss has in a way, made me a better person mentally. i am not a stubborn dickhead or cocky anymore, and i have decided to accept people for who they are and not how they look like.

amrod

Established Member
Reaction score
yeah it sucks serious sh*t... i started losing hair aged 15 also... what a f*****g JOKE man. i can appreciate where ur coming from cuz at 17 i also had about a NW2V and ive been wearing hats pretty much daily for f*****g years

hairloss at 15 u gotta jjust laugh at how bad that is. im 20 now... last 5 years have just been depression of hell - im only starting to break through recently but it still gets me down sometimes.

nugget

Reaction score
i must say bravo to whoever started this thread. i think things like this help put things in perspective.

recboi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
My hairloss situation, combined with other issues, would make me thrilled to get a cancer diagnosis that was terminal.. It's that bad.

Stabber said:
Would you be able to handle it? Seems so many of us here are already so brittle and fragile from the hairloss battle. If you were diagnosed with a serious disease, had abad car accident etc.. would you be able to take it mentally?