I hairloss really worth all this trouble?

thinning_esteem

Established Member
Reaction score
Please Read and please help........
I have yet to start into a serious regiment but already I'm exhausted when it comes to maintaining this whole losing hair thing!
I wish I could just accept it, but I can't. When I found this website a few days ago, I was so excited that there was hope for me but I'm not really sure about it now.
It's like a rollercoaster of emotion. Sometimes I feel like I might be ok, and other times I feel like just giving up. It's bad feeling when you can't control a major aspect of your appearance.

The worst part, right now, is that I'm still waiting to get into see my doctor. It's 5 days away and it seems like a lifetime. Then I expect a long wait to get into a dermotologist, which will drive me crazy. I need to combat this now b4 it becomes too noticable! I don't have it in me to deal with real baldness.

I have nobody I can turn to, to talk about this. My girlfriend is so sick of hearing about it that she just ignores me when I bring it up.
It seems like most of my friends are keeping all their hair just fine, so they get off on teasing me about my problem(which again is not that bad) I have already started seperating myself from them.

Money is definetly an issue. I was on Life brand Rogaine for about 8 months and had to give it up because I couldn't afford the $50.00 a month, on top of all my other bills. Why in the hell doesn't insurance cover this crap? There would be a lot more happy people out there if they did.

I was on meds for anxiety and depression for about 6 years. I am happy that I finally had the strength to come off them about a year ago. I hate the thought of taking any pills ever again, even vitamins because I have a very low tolerance to medication. I seem to get every side effect listed. I have considered these last couple of weeks to go back on them so I don't feel so damn bad. I don't want to depend on pills for anything.

I'm so worried about what these hair meds will do to me. I can't handle the shedding part(that is if I understood what I've read), and the possibility of having a foggy head scares the hell out of me, if it happens it will trigger an anxiety attack and I can't handle taking them anymore.

I don't sleep anymore. Maybe 4 hours a day. As soon my head hits the pillow, no matter how tired, I start worrying, mostly about going bald, and I don't fall asleep for 6-7 hours.

I'm so goddamned confused about what to do, and what to try. I'm at the end of my rope here and literally ready to hang myself with it. Honestly if I lose my hair I think I'm done with this life!

tchehov

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think a lot of people here will identify with those feelings.

Hair is a quality of life issue and many (non-balding) people dispute just how much it contributes to that quality. For me it came like an early mid-life crisis - I felt I hadn't lived yet but I was losing the most visible sign of my youth and vitality. Then it became panic and obsession 24/7. The thing is that once you do something about it, once you make the decision to fight it, you calm down. It takes a while but the fact of action makes you feel better - struggle is always character building.

If you have a history of depression, hair loss will hit you like a hammer blow - often it proves to be the catalyst for a new period of mental unrest and deep unhappiness. But again the knowledge that this something you can fight helps. While depression is a mysterious process, hair loss is less mysterious, the results can be charted, and there is genuine and lasting relief on regrowth.

You've made your decision to treat this disorder with medication, stick with it for at least a year. Don't let anyone deflect you from your goal.

recboi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
thinning_esteem said:
I have yet to start into a serious regiment but already I'm exhausted when it comes to maintaining this whole losing hair thing!
I wish I could just accept it, but I can't. When I found this website a few days ago, I was so excited that there was hope for me but I'm not really sure about it now.
It's like a rollercoaster of emotion. Sometimes I feel like I might be ok, and other times I feel like just giving up. It's bad feeling when you can't control a major aspect of your appearance.

The worst part, right now, is that I'm still waiting to get into see my doctor. It's 5 days away and it seems like a lifetime. Then I expect a long wait to get into a dermotologist, which will drive me crazy. I need to combat this now b4 it becomes too noticable! I don't have it in me to deal with real baldness.

I have nobody I can turn to, to talk about this. My girlfriend is so sick of hearing about it that she just ignores me when I bring it up.
It seems like most of my friends are keeping all their hair just fine, so they get off on teasing me about my problem(which again is not that bad) I have already started seperating myself from them.

Money is definetly an issue. I was on Life brand Rogaine for about 8 months and had to give it up because I couldn't afford the $50.00 a month, on top of all my other bills. Why in the hell doesn't insurance cover this crap? There would be a lot more happy people out there if they did.

I was on meds for anxiety and depression for about 6 years. I am happy that I finally had the strength to come off them about a year ago. I hate the thought of taking any pills ever again, even vitamins because I have a very low tolerance to medication. I seem to get every side effect listed. I have considered these last couple of weeks to go back on them so I don't feel so damn bad. I don't want to depend on pills for anything.

I'm so worried about what these hair meds will do to me. I can't handle the shedding part(that is if I understood what I've read), and the possibility of having a foggy head scares the hell out of me, if it happens it will trigger an anxiety attack and I can't handle taking them anymore.

I don't sleep anymore. Maybe 4 hours a day. As soon my head hits the pillow, no matter how tired, I start worrying, mostly about going bald, and I don't fall asleep for 6-7 hours.

I'm so goddamned confused about what to do, and what to try. I'm at the end of my rope here and literally ready to hang myself with it. Honestly if I lose my hair I think I'm done with this life!

You absolutely have to stop telling your problems to your gf or she will leave you. it's a self fufilling prophesy. Women don't want to hear your problems. They want you to be there for their problems, but they will leave you because of your issues. It WILL happen, so you must either bottle it up, or just let it out on here. There are cheaper ways to getting rogaine. Presuming you live in the USA, you can get minoxidil on Ebay for I'm guessing maybe $10 a month depending on how much of it you buy.... If you ever decide to get on finesteride, you can get a year's supply of indian generic for less than $100 if you split up the pills into 4s (fincar). 3 months of propecia costs about $160.

UK1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
As tchehov said.. most people on this board can relate to your story all too well.. all you can do is start a serious regimen, if your tolerance to medication is low then you should theoretically be a great responder. Look at 2007 as the year where you are calmy going to attempt to cheat your natural aging process, it can be exciting and in many cases takes a lot of weight off peoples shoulders, regardless of how succesful it is. You will find that the less people that you talk to in your 'normal' life about this the better, I know from personal experience how tough it is trying not to talk to your girlfriend about it.. especially if you live together.. but try. :wink:

thinning_esteem

Established Member
Reaction score
Wow thanks for the support people.
Along with trying to regrow some hair, this year I have to tackle a few other problems as well, namely how I feel so low 24/7.
As far as the gf goes. I know I need to leave her be for a while about it. Eventually I should be able to talk to her again about it especially if what I have to say is positive.

47thin

Established Member
Reaction score
Women despise weakness in men. they say they want sensitivity, but I cried in front of a women, and she hated me ever since. I remember a quote "I saw him cry, and it made me sick" from some article. and the women said she would have said she wanted the emotional type. Bullshit. It's not fair, but that's the way it is. Someone has to be on thop, and if you, the man are not, it will be a living hell. I'm living it, brother.

s.a.f

Reaction score
thinning_esteem said:
I. I'm at the end of my rope here and literally ready to hang myself with it. Honestly if I lose my hair I think I'm done with this life!

Take a look at this statement and realise that you are overeacting.
Yes it sucks bigtime and can dramaticly effect your wellbeing, but you just have to accept bad things happen in life and some will be worse than hairloss. As you said its barely even noticible so you are in a good position (with meds etc) just consider yourself lucky that you are not like some of the guys on here Norwood 4/5/6/7.

recboi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
47thin said:
Women despise weakness in men. they say they want sensitivity, but I cried in front of a women, and she hated me ever since. I remember a quote "I saw him cry, and it made me sick" from some article. and the women said she would have said she wanted the emotional type. Bullshit. It's not fair, but that's the way it is. Someone has to be on thop, and if you, the man are not, it will be a living hell. I'm living it, brother.

There are certain expectations of us. These are:

(1) you solve problems (her problems)

(2) you are the provider

(3) you have no emotions except to support hers

Life isn't fair, man. You gotta deal. Learn to play the games they play, or you will always lose out. Never go to a woman you have sexual interest with your problems. Never cry in front of her (even if your parents died), never show sadness or anxiety or lack of control. You either play the game or lose.

ginald

Established Member
Reaction score
thinning_esteem,

i have read so many stories on this site...most of them just like yours, although not many of them as eloquently written as yours.

we understand the pain, frustration and anger that you are going thro and will continue to go thro.

hairloss stinks.

this may well be the most serious crisis in your life so far.

the next few months will find out what you are made of.

dig deep, young man and stay strong, you will come thro.

remember we live in a society where money, looks and material possessions are worshipped.

these are false prophets and you are being led astray by them.

thinning_esteem

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been with my gf now for 4 years.
It's seems as though she ignored this problem from the beginning. I'd simply ask her "Does this hair look thinner" She b**ch and wine and say no.

As far as not showing your emotions in front of your woman is bs. If they can't see you through the rough times then to hell with them. Things are still good between us, but if she decides my emotion are to much for her she can go to hell. I'll find another girl.

As far as the overreacting about the hairloss, it's just one of many things that are wrong with my life right now. I just feel overwhelmed!

47thin

Established Member
Reaction score
recboi said:
47thin said:

There are certain expectations of us. These are:

(1) you solve problems (her problems)

(2) you are the provider

(3) you have no emotions except to support hers

Life isn't fair, man. You gotta deal. Learn to play the games they play, or you will always lose out. Never go to a woman you have sexual interest with your problems. Never cry in front of her (even if your parents died), never show sadness or anxiety or lack of control. You either play the game or lose.

You are correct. Of course, it's all different before they get their hook in you, but it is true. All I can do is deal.

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
thinning_esteem said:
I've been with my gf now for 4 years.
It's seems as though she ignored this problem from the beginning. I'd simply ask her "Does this hair look thinner" She b**** and wine and say no.

It's probably because you keep asking her the same questions re: your hair over and over again. It's not that you can't share your problems with a woman...but my guess is that you're driving her crazy with obsessive questions and observations. No one likes having to continually reassure someone else. Just stop it.

Things are still good between us, but if she decides my emotion are to much for her she can go to hell. I'll find another girl.

That's your prerogative, but if by "emotion" you mean whining to her about your hair, then finding another girl ain't gonna help. You'll simply alienate the next one in the same way.

I'm not trying to be a jerk to you - but you don't want to look back in a year or two and realize you pissed away a good relationship because of your hair obsessions. If it's otherwise not a good relationship, then you should move on anyway... but whatever you do, stop making your hairloss the centerpiece of your social being.

thinning_esteem

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't think you're being a jerk, I understand what you mean.
It's just so hard. I swear it's always in the back of my mind 24/7.
She's a good girl and as long as I let it slide a bit, she'll let it go, and start listening again when I have something worth while to say. :D

s.a.f

Reaction score
She obviously does'nt care about it as much as you do? If she did she would only have hooked up with a guy who has Colin Farrell type hair. Stop acting like a whining pussy. (sorry to be blunt) but if you are in a relationship act like a man about it otherwise dump her,then be on your own and you will be free to obsess about your hairloss as much as you like.

thinning_esteem

Established Member
Reaction score
I never whined I just kept asking her opinions on things. I also kept asking every other day does my hair look different etc.
I have a great relationship, but she actually has a very short attention span, and it's hard to get her to focus on things like this.
She said she doesn't want me to shave my head, says she doesn't like it. Honestly I'm just worried how she'll feel about me if I go bald?

s.a.f

Reaction score
How would you feel if she asked you everyday if her *** was getting fat? Or if she was paranoid that you would leave her if it did. Dont you expect that both of your looks will fade as time passes but you're not going to split up because of it are you?
The fact is if you do go bald and she leaves you because you are no longer attractive to her then there's not much you can do is there.
BTW I know an attractive woman who had an affair with a fat guy with glasses and ended up leaving her husband to be with him. Her husband is slim with a full head of hair. :freaked:

recboi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
How would you feel if she asked you everyday if her *** was getting fat? Or if she was paranoid that you would leave her if it did. Dont you expect that both of your looks will fade as time passes but you're not going to split up because of it are you?
The fact is if you do go bald and she leaves you because you are no longer attractive to her then there's not much you can do is there.
BTW I know an attractive woman who had an affair with a fat guy with glasses and ended up leaving her husband to be with him. Her husband is slim with a full head of hair. :freaked:

$$$$$$ and if the guy she left her husband for marries her, he's retarded, because if a chick cheats to be with you, she will also cheat on you.

s.a.f

Reaction score
He was also cheating on his wife with her though so they are both cheats. And yes I think they will get married but I'm not sure she will be happy.

recboi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
s.a.f said:
He was also cheating on his wife with her though so they are both cheats. And yes I think they will get married but I'm not sure she will be happy.

I predict two divorces in this message:

(1) when cheater woman marries cheater fat guy

(2) Guiliana whatchamacallit from E! is marrying the winner of the Apprentice. Would anyone like to make a bet as to how long that marriage lasts? Guaranteed divorce....

hairwegoagain

Reaction score
thinning_esteem said:
I have a great relationship, but she actually has a very short attention span, and it's hard to get her to focus on things like this.
Take a lesson from her. Maybe it's not worthy of 24/7 focus? Not even close? Maybe it's simply not that important?

You have to stop trying to make her recognize something she's told you a million times doesn't bother her.

And most importantly, don't piss away these years with your head in the sand.