Human Trials Of Metformin To Treat The Entire Aging Process Have Started.

nameless

Banned
Reaction score
In the past I informed everyone that the FDA is now starting to view the aging process as a disease and is going to let researchers run anti-aging medicine through FDA clinical trials. People tell me that I'm wrong. I've been saying that researchers will soon put a drug called Metformin into FDA human trials to test it for the treatment of the aging process. Well, I just read an article about a different anti-aging drug that could soon enter FDA trials and in that article they mentioned that Metformin's FDA trials to treat the aging process have now started. Here is that article:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...r/news-story/ad52db277e19304a513d8670a8bb9d11

And here in italics and highlighted is the quote in the article that caught my eye:

"Things could be about to change though. A US trial is underway to test whether the diabetes drug metformin can extend human life and prevent cancer because of evidence it expands lifespan in animals."

I still think it's possible that they may actually cure the entire aging process at about the same time they cure hair loss, or shortly thereafter. And as I've previously stated curing the entire aging process might also cure hair loss. Now that the FDA has Metformin in clinical trials for the treatment of the aging process I believe this will open up the floodgates for anti-aging treatments to enter FDA clinical trials. I think that within 6 months to 1 year we will see numerous treatments for the aging process entering FDA clinical trials. And the most interesting part of this is that researchers have been researching ways to reverse the aging process for a long time so researchers have surprisingly hopeful and advanced treatments almost ready for human testing.

In other words, the FDA is now conducting trials for anti-aging medicines at the same moment in history when scientists are close to anti-aging treatments that have high promise for curing the entire aging process.

Last edited:

nameless

Banned
Reaction score
There's a difference, otherwise known as a chasm, between slowing down the ageing process and curing it.

I agree with you that if Metformin does prove to have anti-aging effects it may merely slow down the aging process as opposed to completely reversing the aging process. I also agree with you that, that could be true of many of the anti-aging treatments that will soon enter FDA trials. But not necessarily all of them. It appears that some of the anti-aging treatments that could soon enter FDA trials, such as gene editing and telomerase therapy, could literally reverse the aging process.

Last edited:

GiveMeAccessToMyAccount

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Employers are going to be mad at this when it comes to pension plans. Statisticians will have to move that age back where the plan kicks in.

Excellent benefits, 401k plan, 60% of the average of your last 3 years of service, plan kicks in at 104 years old.

GiveMeAccessToMyAccount

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree with you that if Metformin does prove to have anti-aging effects it may merely slow down the aging process as opposed to completely reversing the aging process. I also agree with you that, that could be true of many of the anti-aging treatments that will soon enter FDA trials. But not all of them. It appears that some of the anti-aging treatments that could soon enter FDA trials, such as gene editing and telomerase therapy, could literally reverse the aging process.

Imagine if we end up doing that too? Everyone will be like Benjamin Button, we'll be born old and age backwards and die as a newborn baby.

Trichosan

My Regimen
Reaction score
So far the only known factor to slow aging is caloric restriction. And as far as I know, there is only one telomerase therapy currently.

distracted

Established Member
Reaction score
I was diagnosed with diabetes a few months ago (I'm young and fit so it was very odd). My endo started me off with a dose of Metformin, which is used to treat Type 2. As with all drugs I take, my first reaction is to check its effect on hair loss and found a few cases where people discussed it actually causing shed/thinning. Well since I've been on it I haven't noticed any difference. Don't have any more hair and don't feel any younger.

I've been on a dose of 500 mg 2/per day.

resu

Reaction score
Aging well is the ultimate goal, no one wants to live forever as a decaying 80 year old.

Last edited:

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I was diagnosed with diabetes a few months ago (I'm young and fit so it was very odd). My endo started me off with a dose of Metformin, which is used to treat Type 2. As with all drugs I take, my first reaction is to check its effect on hair loss and found a few cases where people discussed it actually causing shed/thinning. Well since I've been on it I haven't noticed any difference. Don't have any more hair and don't feel any younger.

I've been on a dose of 500 mg 2/per day.
I was told it can cause gastric discomfort. Have you noticed any problems taking it?

distracted

Established Member
Reaction score
I was told it can cause gastric discomfort. Have you noticed any problems taking it?

The first few days were unbearable. Felt like I needed to be on/near a toilet at all times with constant nausea and horrible bowel movement. After a week it was fine and I no longer felt any of those side effects. But the sides were so bad at first I had to take off from work.

Hangin'on Hair

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I wouldn't say hair loss in an aging thing.
Ask most bald 50-60 year olds when they started losing their hair and they'll most likely tell you it was sometime in their 20's. Maybe early 30's.

Everyone associates baldness with being old. In most cases it starts when you're a young man. Balding isn't an old man's disease. It's a young man's curse.

Trichosan

My Regimen
Reaction score
I can see it fine from the link posted. No access needed. Informative article.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Metformin is a wellknown drug sometimes prescribe for PKO... I don't understand...

It's an anti diabetic medication. If you think of diabetes as:
1) something which accelerated ageing;
2) a spectrum that most of the population is on;

Then it will yield anti ageing benefits in most people, as in it will slow down premature ageing.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Then why woul they need to do a trial for that... yeah maybe. It does not cure hair loss though

It might help. There's a known correlation between hair loss and diabetic markers.

Trials are legally required for different prescription uses. They might also get information from looking at other variables, measuring other things, testing on different subjects, etc.