how to eat 6 meals a day

CCS

Reaction score
I wish I'd thought of this sooner. There is a dell taco half a mile from my apartment. I walk there at night and get 3-4 green bean burritos. They refridgerate and store nicely. I take them with me to school for lunch. At a dollar and 3-400 calories a pop, I eat them every 3 hours while at school, and eat my oats and mackerel at home. I just need to supplement with methionine and lysine.

Oranges and bananas are also easy to transport.

I bought a bottle of orange juice today, so I'll use that as a water bottle for a while.

These beats eating the overpriced big burritos at the student food court, and I don't have to find tubberware that works.

G

Why don't you eat tuna?

Tuna has an amazing protein content. Canned tuna is not expensive either.
Also for more calories you can try using peanut butter and spread it on fruits that you eat like apples and bananas to pack extra calories.

Be careful not to get fat though...

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Have you looked at the nutritional content of those green bean burritos? I'm assuming they're the green 1/2 pound burritos?

430 calories
12g fat
9g saturated fat
20mg cholesterol
1690mg sodium (WOW!!!!!!!!!)
59g carbs
20g protein
13g fiber
4g sugar

http://www.deltaco.com/nutritionalfacts.html

If it weren't for the sodium, they may not be too bad.

Jm0311

Reaction score
Harie said:
Have you looked at the nutritional content of those green bean burritos? I'm assuming they're the green 1/2 pound burritos?

430 calories
12g fat
9g saturated fat
20mg cholesterol
59g carbs
20g protein
13g fiber
4g sugar

yes definetely TUNA, PB & J, Cottage Cheese

stay away from high sodium

powersam

Reaction score
i think its more important to emphasise the eating every 3hrs rather than the six meals a day. because its after 3 hours that your body starts doing the cortisol shimmy and gets a little stressed and adrenally fight or flighty.

CCS

Reaction score
Harie said:

430 calories
12g fat
9g saturated fat
20mg cholesterol
59g carbs
20g protein
13g fiber
4g sugar

yeah, it is really good food, except for that sodium. Why do they use so much?

And don't eat their fries. They fry them in transfat, and boast about it on their wall, "We don't use lard in our fries. We use only 100% cholesterol free vegetable SHORTENING."

Do you think they put any shortening in the burritos? I hope not.
As for the 9g of saturated fat, that means I can only eat 2 per day. OK, they are still cheaper than the sonora cafe burritos I've been eating. i just need get some tuberware that does not leak when I flip it upside down.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It's more important to eat several smaller meals throughout the day than one or two big ones. But I don't think there's any way to schedule these events on a consistent basis, without losing one's mind. I simply try to enforce this rule as often as possible, without getting too pedantic. Just like I will try to drink 10-12 glasses of water in a day, whenever time is permitting.

G

How much is 9g of saturated fat in terms of % daily allowance on a 2000 calorie diet? Better yet a 2500 or 3000 cal per day diet?

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Jm0311 said:
Harie said:

430 calories
12g fat
9g saturated fat
20mg cholesterol
59g carbs
20g protein
13g fiber
4g sugar

yes definetely TUNA, PB & J, Cottage Cheese

stay away from high sodium

That IS a lot of sodium. I will actually brine my meat -- chicken, turkey, beef, fish -- which leads to greater satisfaction from my food with far less actual sodium or sugar content.

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
yeah, it is really good food, except for that sodium. Why do they use so much?

It's probably to preserve it and to mask the taste of something.

Even if you only ate 2 a day, that's still 3400mg of sodium per day just from those 2 meals. The US RDA is 2400mg/day. I'd bet that your sodium intake would probably be 5,000mg/day if you followed your proposed diet...Since I'm assuming your mackerel (if canned) probably has a lot of salt too.

I guess it's not the end of the world though. Most American's eat way above 2,400mg of sodium per day with fast food lifestyles and drinking soda.

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I enjoy cooking, and hardly ever eat out at a restaurant. I always try to add just enough sodium to enhance/elevate natural flavors and make meats more juicy and succulent. But at least, if you're ingesting that much sodium daily, I would hope it also includes a healthy amount of iodine.

CCS

Reaction score
2000 calories allows 20g of saturated fat.

G

Ok, so if I want a nice protein snack from a fastfood place what do you guys suggest? I was super hungry before my midterm this afternoon so I went to mcdonalds and had 1 mcchicken sandwich for a buck. It was good, but the mayo wasn't good for me. Next time I'll ask them to hold the mayo. But then again that chicken they put in is fried too. bleh.

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Anything that's grilled chicken is pretty much your best bet for fast food places like McDonalds/Wendy's etc. Even then, they usually put loads of salt in their "healthy" food.

Try Tokyo Joe's, if they have one in your neck of the woods. White chicken bowl with broccoli and brown rice. I can't seem to find their sodium content though.

powersam

Reaction score
i would assume msg would be more of a worry at any place called tokyo joes. or is it just chinese food that uses all the msg.. not too sure.

s.a.f

Reaction score
powersam said:
is it just chinese food that uses all the msg.. not too sure.
Everywhere uses it.

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
powersam said:
i would assume msg would be more of a worry at any place called tokyo joes. or is it just chinese food that uses all the msg.. not too sure.

Nope, no MSG @ Tokyo Joe's & no trans-fats either. Their slogan, "Healthy, fast, Japanese".

joseph49853

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Just don't be deceived by how trans-fats are currently labeled. As of January 2006, the FDA/CFSAN allows manufacturers to advertise their products as having zero trans-fats with an actual trans-fat value of .5g (or less) per serving. Always look for the tell-tale sign of hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils in the ingredients, and completely avoid.

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
joseph49853 said:
Always look for the tell-tale sign of hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils in the ingredients, and completely avoid.

What signs are there to indicate hydrogenated/partially hydrogenated oils were used? Any others besides the oils turning solid after a while when exposed to room temperatures?