How to decrease body fat.

person

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I go swimming quite a lot however I can't seem to get rid of some tummy fat, I don't think I have very good genes for getting a six pack. What supplementation could I take to perhaps increase my cahnces of burning fat. I heard drinking green tea helps? I'm open to all sorts of suggestions and also what should my diet be composed of? Thanks.

G

you lower body fat % by eating healthy foods, creating a calorc deficit- cardio helps

person

Experienced Member
Reaction score
What does that mean?

s.a.f

Reaction score
Expending more energy than is provided by the food you eat. :smack:

person

Experienced Member
Reaction score
But are there any supplements or teas I can drink to help with the burning?

However does this mean I need to increase my exercise regime, I'm worried about over doing it in terms of exercise, but I guess if I need to burn more fat I have no other option?

CCS

Reaction score
person said:
However does this mean I need to increase my exercise regime, I'm worried about over doing it in terms of exercise, but I guess if I need to burn more fat I have no other option?

You can't burn as much fat in the beginning as you can later. You first have to get your slow twitch muscles in better shape, by increasing endurance gradually. Once they are stronger, you can burn a lot more calories in your workouts. Do not overdo it in the beginning or you will shed a lot of muscle.

metalheaddude

Reaction score
Its all about body types and genetics. I also have a tendency to have a fat gut, yet i have ripped toned arms and legs and and very chiseled facial features, but my stomach at times approaches obese. When I eat less more than I burn and do cardio etc, the weight continues to come off my face and arms and legs etc, The net result is i look REALLY skinny and terribley gaunt and unhealthy looking. But thats the price i once payed to have a six pack. For me it wasnt worth it.

Therefore my advice is not to listen to these guys. My advice is to go on a bulking diet to build muscle (which iam currently doing) And try and turn that fat into muscle.

Maxpwr

Established Member
Reaction score
metalheaddude said:
Therefore my advice is not to listen to these guys. My advice is to go on a bulking diet to build muscle (which iam currently doing) And try and turn that fat into muscle.
Oh yeah, that's great advice :roll: The guy wants to lose tummy fat and you tell him not to listen to "these guys" but rather to listen to you and go on a bulking diet! *lol* that's the best way to not lose his tummy fat.....

----------------------------------------------------------------

My advice is that if you are already doing regular cardio and cannot achieve the fat loss results you want to, you need to look at your diet. Regardless of how old you are, how fit you are and what sort of genetics you have, creating a calorie deficit via training and diet WILL lose fat over time. Most people find that last inch or two on their waist the hardest thing to get rid of, and get discouraged when their results seem to "dry up". I'd suggest maybe stepping your cardio up slightly, maybe adding a few sprints or something in there.... but mainly I'd take a look at your diet. If, in your opinion, you are definitely doing enough cardio then your diet is what you need to work on. Revising your diet, or even tweaking it here and there, may do wonders for the fat loss.

Green tea, caffeine, "fat blasters" and things like that are great, but while they may have an impact, I wouldn't rely on things like that to change your physique.... Gotta look at the important things first.

metalheaddude

Reaction score
I think you missed the point MaxPower. I suggested he should build more muscle mass all over his body, but in particular his core muscles. This means even when he is resting he will burn more calories, because he has increased muscle mass. This will melt the fat around his stomach more naturally and you will look more muscular. But if you go your route, which is basically calorie restriction and a hell of a lot of cardio, the net result is you feel really weak and look anorexic, YES you have a flat stomach, but you also look like a pussy with no upper body strength. Who the hell wants to look like that?? You got to build a decent amount of muscle mass before dieting down to show ur muscles, other wise u just look like a pussy.

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is that you in your avatar, metalheaddude? (I don't think it is you but I'm just asking to be sure).

flimflam

Experienced Member
Reaction score
metalheaddude said:
Who the hell wants to look like that?? You got to build a decent amount of muscle mass before dieting down to show ur muscles, other wise u just look like a pussy.

YOU ARE 14.

docj077

Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
person said:

You can't burn as much fat in the beginning as you can later. You first have to get your slow twitch muscles in better shape, by increasing endurance gradually. Once they are stronger, you can burn a lot more calories in your workouts. Do not overdo it in the beginning or you will shed a lot of muscle.

This is actually pretty correct. The only way that you can switch your body over into burning fatty acids for energy is through endurance training. However, the training-induced shift in fuel selection from carbohydrates to fatty acids is prevented when a carbohydrate rich diet is consumed. Consuming carbohydrates either right before or during your workout will also prevent fatty acid usage as the increase in arterial plasma insulin prevents LCFA use by the body. Also, if you do short, high intensity workouts, your body will utilize glucose and not fat.

So, you basically have to workout for a couple of hours at low intensity while also consuming a low carbohydrate diet (before and during your workout) to truly get your body to utilize your fat stores.

CCS

Reaction score
Doctor, I snuck into a sports trainer training session at my university's gym. Some PhD guy was lecturing to about 40 trainers. He presented many large studies from 2007, and gave rebuttals to other studies.

Conclusions:
1. Except with very fast movements, your slow twitch muscles are already engaged to a large extent once you are using your fast twitch muscles: (example: sprinters do not use slow twitch muscles at all, but power lifters and really intense cyclers use both simulateously.)
Sprinters still burn fat AFTER their workout, during recovery, equal to 15% of the calories they burned during the sprinting.
2. The more you exert, the more fat you burn. Yes, the ratio of carbs to fat burned is larger at higher intensities and at higher carb intakes, but the total fat per minute burned is always higher at higher intensities. You burn even in the first 10 minutes of a workout.
3. You need carbohydrates to burn fat. He showed a cell metabolism diagram. No carbs = your muscles stop working. Not entirely true though. You can still get sugars from the protein in your muscle once cortisol gets to a high enough level.
4. Fasting, or avoiding carbs, makes you too weak to burn maximum fat. It also can get you in worse shape. It is better to give your body the fuel it needs, and get into shape gradually. Expect to burn 40% of your calories as fat and 60% as carbs when working at higher intensities. Just figure it in to your long term weight loss goals.

It really is that simple. Eat the FDA approved 15% protein, 20% fat, 65% fiber containing carbs diet, and gradually get all your muscles into shape so you can burn a lot more fat later. You can't burn much initially. Fasting more than 10% will hinder your workout gains, and will just lower your metabolism.

You must do at least 200 minutes of cardio per week to prevent your metabolism from adjusting. They've done 6 months studies.

Maxpwr

Established Member
Reaction score
metalheaddude said:
I think you missed the point MaxPower. I suggested he should build more muscle mass all over his body, but in particular his core muscles. This means even when he is resting he will burn more calories, because he has increased muscle mass. This will melt the fat around his stomach more naturally and you will look more muscular.
No, I think you've missed the point buddy, providing an answer to a question nobody asked. He asked about losing fat, not creating the general impression that he's more muscular (read the thread title!). In your haste to answer the question, you have managed to completely overlook the question... your answer may as well have been in Japanese.

metalheaddude said:
YES you have a flat stomach, but you also look like a pussy with no upper body strength. Who the hell wants to look like that?? You got to build a decent amount of muscle mass before dieting down to show ur muscles, other wise u just look like a pussy.
I should put you on ignore for this comment... I mean, how old are you? Grow up a bit eh?

P.S. how's that master's degree coming on? :woot:

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
docj077 said:
collegechemistrystudent said:

This is actually pretty correct. The only way that you can switch your body over into burning fatty acids for energy is through endurance training. However, the training-induced shift in fuel selection from carbohydrates to fatty acids is prevented when a carbohydrate rich diet is consumed. Consuming carbohydrates either right before or during your workout will also prevent fatty acid usage as the increase in arterial plasma insulin prevents LCFA use by the body. Also, if you do short, high intensity workouts, your body will utilize glucose and not fat.

So, you basically have to workout for a couple of hours at low intensity while also consuming a low carbohydrate diet (before and during your workout) to truly get your body to utilize your fat stores.

sh*t, that's great info. Thanks man. I'm on a low-carb diet now (for good I think, it suits me well) and have been doing short, high intensity workouts 'cause I'd really like to get some more muscle but also to burn stomach fat. What would you suggest in my situation? Should I try to burn the fat first by doing long, low-intensity workouts or vice versa?

Dogs3

Experienced Member
Reaction score
i do long, medium intenisty cardio workouts. Probably 35 or so minutes of jogging 5-6 times a week and then a lot of jump roping 3-4 times a week about 15 minutes a session. I used to do abs a lot but have found that doing this routine has kept my abs very ripped, i have almost no fat in my stomach area.

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
metalheaddude said:

TURN fat into muscle....are u a retard....why dont u turn an orange into an apple...hahaaaa what a nooob.