How the hell do you get rid of seborrheic dermatitis?

tiredofloss

Established Member
Reaction score
how?

i tried nizoral for months and it didnt change my hair or stop flaking

ive even tried tea tree oil ....doesnt seem to help

does t/gel work? im nervous to even try since half my hair falls out everytime i shampoo it

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
I wish I knew the answer to this... my seb. dermatitis is under control compared to what it was last summer for example, but it still itches a bit and flakes. I know that clearing the seb. derm could have a great impact on the treatments I'm using, and that's why I feel so damn helpless about it.

IBM

Reaction score
Next Monday i'll see a dermatologist to see my attached flaking skin that i have in my center-left of my scalp. I've been shampooing with Alpha-Cade but its useless. I cant get rid of it. If i force it i'll pull all my hair that is attached. I've lost tons of hair already and now i've to wait 6 months to grow it.

Every winter its the same bullshit. At summer i get better.

A_DHT_Driveby

Reaction score
I've had this affliction since Nov. 06, which coincided with the start of massive shedding, so it is definately related. It was very, very bad at the beginning to the point of where my entire head was covered in a thick sebum buildup that I would have to scrape away with my fingers. I was hygienic, ate well, exercised daily, was in picture perfect health and it still hit me like a ton of bricks.

My treatment, which has helped bring it dramatically under control:

wash hair with nizoral 2x week / neutragena 2x week / an organic shampoo/conditioner 3x week
*it is possible sodium laurel or laureth sulphate can aggravate this condition
apply apple cider vinegar to your head on a nightly basis
apply either luxiq or olux foam in the morning
take biotin/b complex and fish oil supplements
important: avoid all alcohol/sweets/and anything with yeast in it

also start finasteride if you haven't already...IMO seborrheic dermatitis is a precursor to male pattern baldness

Do all this and I promise you the condition will improve. Dermatologists are quick to prescribe dugs, but while they may be a quick "response" to your situation, they are rarely the whole answer.

DiffusionGuy

Reaction score
has anyone considered it to be psoriasis?
As your derm for clobestol solution. It helps.

tiredofloss

Established Member
Reaction score
Next Monday i'll see a dermatologist to see my attached flaking skin that i have in my center-left of my scalp. I've been shampooing with Alpha-Cade but its useless. I cant get rid of it. If i force it i'll pull all my hair that is attached. I've lost tons of hair already and now i've to wait 6 months to grow it.

thats exactly how it is with me..........when you see my hair its flaking right at the spots im losing it and even if i try to brush the flakes out it pulls the hairs out. any pressure applied to my scalp and the hair is done.

im gonna try to see a dermatologist......im just scared it will be a waste of time and $$$ as they wont help me. i went to the doctor a few months ago about all my health problems and she didnt listen to me.

i was using nizoral and it just made my hair shed massively, more so than using regular shampoo and/or conditioner

A_DHT_Driveby

im taking biotin (5000mcg)) as well as a few other supplements (multi vitamin, saw palmetto, flax, coral calcium)

ive looked into apple cider vinegar and am considerin tryin some.....what about the organic stuff that you can drink ? would this work the same as applying as a topical?

has anyone considered it to be psoriasis?

scalp psoriasis is possible. how can you tell whether its scalp psoriasis or seb derm?

ghg- either the treatments youre on are working wonders or youre not going bald. your hairline is perfect, i wouldnt even blink an eye if i saw you on the streets. seb derm is NOT male pattern baldness

A_DHT_Driveby

Reaction score
everything you are saying was exactly what was happening to me. My hair was extremely fragile and easily fell out in the worst areas of the SD. My hairs were threaded through pieces of the scalp, so when i went to remove it i inevitably pulled on hairs along with it. Gross, I know, sorry for being so graphic but I want you to know I was going through the same thing. IMO the apple cider vinegar worked really well, try drinking it and applying it topically. It will do wonders. You can pour some in with green tea and honey.Try my regimen for a week and tell me if it doesn't improve, I'll be shocked if that's the case. :punk:

IBM

Reaction score
Yesterday came out three flaking skins... I put in a paper to show to doctor.

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
tiredofloss said:
ghg- either the treatments youre on are working wonders or youre not going bald. your hairline is perfect, i wouldnt even blink an eye if i saw you on the streets. seb derm is NOT male pattern baldness

Yeah, but unfortunately I'm a diffuse thinner... the hairline is the only perfect part of my hair on top.

A_DHT_Driveby

Reaction score
GHG and IBM please tell me in your opinion what has worked best to control your SD. I am trying to put together a sort of consortium on treatments from various sources....

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
Nothing has worked very well unfortunately. Ciclopiroxolamine shampoo has done something. A shampoo with selenium sulfide worked better imo but my derm said that it shouldn't be used long term (although the label said otherwise).

IBM

Reaction score
A_DHT_Driveby said:
GHG and IBM please tell me in your opinion what has worked best to control your SD. I am trying to put together a sort of consortium on treatments from various sources....

Washing hair everyday with Nizoral and anti flaking shampoo to get rid of flaking skin and sebum. But this solution makes your hair brightless and very thin. Your hairloss is more visible.

Unfortunately this solution does not work all the time.

A_DHT_Driveby

Reaction score
IBM said:

hmmmm....so you are saying that despite the persistence of the SD, it improves somewhat with warmer temperatures and your hair grows back in...but I am guessing never fully back to the point it was beforehand, correct?

Anus

Reaction score
Mix apple cider vinegar with water (50/50) and soak your head with it. Then wrap your head with a towel and wait half an hour, then shampoo. It'll smell a bit for a day or so (so best to do this in the weekend) but I only had to do this once.

IBM

Reaction score
A_DHT_Driveby said:
IBM said:

hmmmm....so you are saying that despite the persistence of the SD, it improves somewhat with warmer temperatures and your hair grows back in...but I am guessing never fully back to the point it was beforehand, correct?

If you dont have male pattern baldness it will grow back but if you're a diffuser no.

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
I tried the 'ol apple cider vinegar trick, didn't work for me.

recognition2

Established Member
Reaction score
Try to use Red or white clay when you're having a shower.

Just put it on your scalp as a mask for 10 minutes every 2or3 days for 2weeks and see how your scalp is.

Then use nizoral to preserve the improvement from the clay.

(red clay is more efficient I believe but it's very very messy for your bathroom)

tiredofloss

Established Member
Reaction score
i dont understand this..........one day my hair will look better the next it will look like complete sh*t with my forehead peeling. ive been takin biotin/saw palmetto

DHT how did you use the apple cider vinegar? which sort is the right to try? i saw bragg organic raw apple cider vinegar

someone told me that head & shoulders is bad and that their dermatologist says it can kill follicles and just hides away flakes that then build up on your scalp. is this true? i use H&S pyrithione zinc dandruff shampoo and still have flakes....i used nizoral for several months but it did nothin and actually made my hair worse.

im thinkin i might try neutrogena t-gel.......there are several different ones though so i dont know which to get. theres also tea tree oil shampoo, which is the best?

A_DHT_Driveby

Reaction score
tiredofloss:

first, let me tell you that your goal should be to control the symptoms and not complete suppression. Unfortunately, SD cannot ever be eliminated entirely from your scalp. However, my condition has improved vastly to the point now where all I do is make sure to routinely use my medicated shampoos (nizoral and neutragena TGel) / prescription foams (Luxiq / Olux) / and 1-2x a week application of bragg's raw organic apple cider vinegar.

diet is also very important. you need to limit the intake of alcohol/sweets/anything with yeast.

re: your forehead and the peeling, if this is from SD, I'm not sure how I would treat htis as it is a condition I have no experience handling. I would seek medical counsel.

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would definitely add starch to the list of avoidable ingredients.