How my Life changed in one day (pics)

douglasmich

Established Member
Reaction score
Im 16 years old, had thick curly hair UNTILL i cut my hair for summer. This is how it grew back :O

Baldness runs in my grandfathers but they balded in their 20's not at 16!

My hairline has hardly receded

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=35co37r&s=5

How could this happen? what treatment should i take as i am only 16?

I saw a doctor and he gave me meds for inflamation, and that cleared that up

PLease help

zeroes

Experienced Member
Reaction score
That looks quite bad. Did you notice a lot of hair loss during shower?

You can always go see another GP for another opinion.

zeroes

Experienced Member
Reaction score
He is in Australia like me, prices are ridiculous here.

My GP prescribed finasteride (1mg) for 30 days, it cost AU$95. Proscar or whatever the other version is called is probably the same price, but he didn't give me a prescription for it. The price alone is one reason why I don't want to use finasteride.

Rogaine or Regaine for us is about $150 for 3 months.

zeroes

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I'm sure I could find an online pharmacy to send it over, however there is too many horror stories of people using finasteride. For now I am going to remain cautious and not use it.

It might be an option for douglasmich, however he shouldn't start finasteride without a GP agreeing to it.

kc444

Established Member
Reaction score
zeroes said:
Rogaine or Regaine for us is about $150 for 3 months.

Wow.. you should go underground and become a Rogaine smuggler for that price. I just paid $25 for a 6 month supply.

douglasmich

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, It definitely started in the last 6 months
6 months ago my hair was so thick I had to get it thinned at the hair dresser
I seriously don't over shed, maybe 2 or 3 in the shower
It just doesn't make sense :(

All the things in the last 6 months: got a chemical perm ( got thick straight hair), and I started working out and taking protein shakes, I stopped them now.

Doctor told me to come back in 3 months, and if it's the same I will be referred to a Derm for "expensive treatment"

I want to be sure that it's male pattern baldness but I'm sure it is because the hair on the sides is thick. It feels like the hair on top suddenly grew thin :(

I am using nizoral twice a week, drinking black tea and soy isoflavones, I started mixing saw palmetto with black tea as a topical. I'm going to buy Kirkland minoxidil, and revita, I mix saw palmetto in baby shampoo

I can't go bald, noone notices it yet because I can comb it, I'm scared :(

Please give me some tips on my regim

Receding89

Established Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of trying a protein shake! Have heard a few cases like this where peoples hair got worse when they started on those shakes. All the shite they put on them it definetly has an effect and can even it trigger hairloss imo.

Il stick to bananas and breasts of chicken for my protein.

Experienced Member
Reaction score
shivers20 said:
Get on minoxidil 5%, diffuse thinners usually respond well to minoxidil.
Good Luck!

man I thought you was dead :whistle:

douglasmich

Established Member
Reaction score
thanks man,

orded 6 months kirkland minoxidil, need a topical anti anogen, i cant take finasteride it will screw me up, is putting sawpalmetto in shampoo and on my scalp gonna help?

i would get spironolactone but its expensive,

and you do i put minoxidil over my whole scalp!?

MisterMister

Established Member
Reaction score
douglasmich said:
Im 16 years old, had thick curly hair UNTILL i cut my hair for summer. This is how it grew back :O

Baldness runs in my grandfathers but they balded in their 20's not at 16!

My hairline has hardly receded

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=35co37r&s=5

How could this happen? what treatment should i take as i am only 16?

I saw a doctor and he gave me meds for inflamation, and that cleared that up

PLease help

You hairloss looks like Telogen Effluvium and from stress, not typical male pattern baldness. If your hairline isn't receding you are lucky.

right now you just shedding probably from some type of trauma, stress or depression. My friend had super thin hair like that and after he started working out, controlled his stress and ate healthy his hair thickened up again.

I would suggest using Nizoral shampoo at this stage.

douglasmich

Established Member
Reaction score
no excessive shedding!!! and its only on the male pattern baldness areas where it is thin!

i had red itchy scalp when i noticed it but that went away whith topical steroid.

help

douglasmich

Established Member
Reaction score
its so thin up there but i dont notice any shedding!!! the thinning is worse in the middle but i can see slight thinning on the whole male pattern baldness area , i never would have contemplated balding untill i cut my hair off, weird...

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Telogen Effluvium is all over for the most part but can be concentrated in male pattern baldness area. I've seen quite a few women with Telogen Effluvium that are primarily thin on top.

douglasmich

Established Member
Reaction score
OK

well the Gentic history:

mothers father, fully bald at 30, Dont know when it started

dads father: balded in 20's, cousin, started receding at 18, now norwood 5 at 29

dad: hair is thicker than mine

So if its Telogen Effluvium should i start minoxidil?? i dont think its Telogen Effluvium because my hair is thick and curly on the sides. Its just that its in a diffuse pattern that concerns me. Its not too noticable as i can layer it to cover the scalp. its been 4 months since i noticed it and i cant tell if its gotton worse but its still there!

The things that happened in the last 8 months: Chemical perm, broken bone, girlfriend breakup, heavy weight training protein shakes.

What do you suggest i do? cant afford derm and parents get anoyyed about it

MisterMister

Established Member
Reaction score
douglasmich said:
OK

well the Gentic history:

mothers father, fully bald at 30, Dont know when it started

dads father: balded in 20's, cousin, started receding at 18, now norwood 5 at 29

dad: hair is thicker than mine

So if its Telogen Effluvium should i start minoxidil?? i dont think its Telogen Effluvium because my hair is thick and curly on the sides. Its just that its in a diffuse pattern that concerns me. Its not too noticable as i can layer it to cover the scalp. its been 4 months since i noticed it and i cant tell if its gotton worse but its still there!

The things that happened in the last 8 months: Chemical perm, broken bone, girlfriend breakup, heavy weight training protein shakes.

What do you suggest i do? cant afford derm and parents get anoyyed about it

First off how about you calm down and take a deep breath, Telogen Effluvium is caused by stressing out and trauma. If you relax a bit you could probably stop losing hair before resorting to minoxidil which is a pain in the *** to use every day twice a day.

I think you should try thinking positive and reduce stress and not panic. You clearly are stressed do you still feel pain from the girlfriend break up? did she cheat on you that could be traumatizing.

douglasmich

Established Member
Reaction score
im fine dude i stopped caring about it the week after, the thing is i dont shed like crazy, it just seemed to suddenly grow out thin.

i had a crazy red scalp but thats gone from using cortisteriod lotion.

I need to know if i should start minoxidil as i think the hairloss is getting worse, i just dont understand how it happened so quickly without shedding. I maybe have been thinning for a year, just didnt notice it becasue i had long THICK hair

thanks for the replies keep em coming