How much time for workout?

CCS

Reaction score
I spend about 10 minutes, but that's because I don't sit around resting for 5 minutes between sets. I alternate 2-4 sets of muscle groups so each one is a bit rested by the time I come back to it, and I only do 3 sets per muscle group, 10-12 reps.

I also don't like doing an hour of easy cardio. I've gone to running tracks where the joggers are all jogging slower than I can walk. I even tried flirting with a woman who jogged so slow it felt like I had to go backwards just to keep up with her. If I'm not feeling mildly challenged in the first 30 seconds, I feel like I'm wasting my time.

I think if you got sore, you worked too hard. If you are young or never have been injured in your life, you can survive that. It is true that getting sore will build your muscles faster. But you have to remember that your cartilage gets stronger at 1/3 the rate your muscles do. So if you keep working to get sore, your muscles will one day overpower your cartilage, and your injury will never heal 100%. Slow and steady wins the race. Not everyone can look like HeMan. At age 30+, if you are not injured in any way, you are ahead of 95% of men. If you can have the joy of going on a hike, and not worry about your injured ankle, you can enjoy life even without women. As for me, I'm having to accept Netflix as a substitute.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
30 minutes to an hour, and depending on the type of workout you're doing, 3 to 6 days a week of working out.

Reginald

Reaction score
Nice sharing.
I do exercise only 15 minutes and maybe
you will be wonder that what exercise i do.
I do rope jumping because my father says that
15 minutes of rope jumping is equal to 1 mile running.

virtuality

Established Member
Reaction score
I usually run for 5 mins, then do weights for 30-40 mins. If I have any energy left, I do more cardio. In total, I try to stay in the gym for about an hour.

I always push myself to my limits, ie no pain no gain. If I don't feel like throwing up after an hour, I feel like I haven't tried hard enough... I've never actualyl thrown up, yet...

I don't like doing cardio in the gym, but summers are too hot and winters too cold to be running outside.

TheGrayMan2001

Reaction score
If you're running for 15 to 25 minutes before you lift weights you will never be able to reach your full potential. That is way too much cardio prior to lifting, especially if you're doing squats and deadlifts.

I usually do a five minute warmup on the stationary bike, increasing the level on it each minute. I do one to three warmup sets of every exercise before doing three sets of my working weight.

Reaction score
CCS said:
I spend about 10 minutes, but that's because I don't sit around resting for 5 minutes between sets. I alternate 2-4 sets of muscle groups so each one is a bit rested by the time I come back to it, and I only do 3 sets per muscle group, 10-12 reps.

I also don't like doing an hour of easy cardio. I've gone to running tracks where the joggers are all jogging slower than I can walk. I even tried flirting with a woman who jogged so slow it felt like I had to go backwards just to keep up with her. If I'm not feeling mildly challenged in the first 30 seconds, I feel like I'm wasting my time.

I think if you got sore, you worked too hard. If you are young or never have been injured in your life, you can survive that. It is true that getting sore will build your muscles faster. But you have to remember that your cartilage gets stronger at 1/3 the rate your muscles do. So if you keep working to get sore, your muscles will one day overpower your cartilage, and your injury will never heal 100%. Slow and steady wins the race. Not everyone can look like HeMan. At age 30+, if you are not injured in any way, you are ahead of 95% of men. If you can have the joy of going on a hike, and not worry about your injured ankle, you can enjoy life even without women. As for me, I'm having to accept Netflix as a substitute.

A good thirty minutes.. a serious one (meaning, you really work out) multiplied by four to five in one week is surely the best way to work out.

Best of luck! :)

Primo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
High Intensity Sprint Interval Training - 30mins

Weight Lifting (benching, deadlifts, squats) - 45mins - 1hr

I do both twice a week. Easy.

rcom440

Reaction score
I work out every other day. I take day off for muscles to develop.
I basically focus on 2 groups of muscles a workout. Chest and triceps, back and biceps, shoulders legs and abs (well that's 3).
I spend around 1 hour and approx 15 min but I hit it hard on the gym.
For chests and triceps I do (chest) 3 heavy sets of flies and then I go straight to the bench press with no rest and I do around 3 or 4 sets of 8-10 reps then I rest around 4 min and hit triceps.
I actually developed pretty muscular physique over the last year. My old clothes don't fit me anymore. My suits that were 42 are all too small for me. Now I have to go for 44.
And some of the size Large shirts are too small.
After every workout I take Muscle Juice by Ultimate Nutrition which is a healthy muscle gainer packed with 1050 of calories, omega 3 fatty acids, 50g of proteins and complex carbs a shake.

badwabbit

Reaction score
I suggest doing an amount that you know you will consistently do, and with time... increase as you feel. Otherwise, if you make it too hard from day one... you'll quit. That is what happens to a lot of people; myself included.

sachalamp

Established Member
Reaction score
1.5 hours weightlifting x 3 times a week

As far as i know, the body starts producing cortisol 40 minutes to and hour after starting a workout. Unless you're competing and you're in amazing physical form, this can actually eat into you gains, not to mention it's very stressful for your body, hair included.

Agahi

Established Member
Reaction score
I do 20mins of easy cardio in the morning and afternoon everyday because I live close enough to ride my bike to work. I do 5 days a week lifting each day a different set of muscles. Probably spend around 45 mins to an hour on the lifting.

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
depends which type of routine you are doing and your goals

BlackSheep

Established Member
Reaction score
In a normal person ("normal" being appropriate BMI + aged 16+ years) it actually doesn't matter how long you're working out so long as you're adequately rested (this will vary per person so won't give the usual dumb "8 hours a night" thing), AND you are consuming enough calories to recover.

The 40 minutes ideal-cortisol-less gains thing is a complete red herring circulated often among gym bro's these days. The body does start releasing cortisol 45-60 minutes into a workout, yes, but it is transient. This "always be anabolic" hype isn't supported by basic physiological principles. Your body is in a given day experiencing both anabolism and catabolism for various reasons.

Another big variable is what you're training for and what form of training you're doing. If you're an average guy that's reasonably lean but want to pack muscle fast, just pick any random full body 5x5 program and ensure you're in a caloric surplus throughout this time. Also slap on 2-3 45 minute cardio sessions a week for basic cardiovascular health. 5x5 full body programs may take up to 2.5 hours to complete. Guess what - That's precisely what many old school champion bodybuilders and powerlifters followed as novices before they'd even taken a scent of anabolic steroids.

I'm exercising between 15-20 hours a week (martial arts, weights, cardio). Some days I'm doing 4.5 hours of exercise the whole day. And I'm in a caloric deficit. Despite all that, I'm actually getting stronger while leaning out (hence the caloric deficit). These things can be done. One just needs to be intelligent with the programming.

MoHairMoBetta

Established Member
Reaction score
I lift for 45-60 minutes 3 times a week, usually M-W-F. I play soccer and hockey for my cardio so I guess that varies week to week.

swingline747

My Regimen
Reaction score
I work out every other day. I take day off for muscles to develop.
I basically focus on 2 groups of muscles a workout. Chest and triceps, back and biceps, shoulders legs and abs (well that's 3).
I spend around 1 hour and approx 15 min but I hit it hard on the gym.
For chests and triceps I do (chest) 3 heavy sets of flies and then I go straight to the bench press with no rest and I do around 3 or 4 sets of 8-10 reps then I rest around 4 min and hit triceps.
I actually developed pretty muscular physique over the last year. My old clothes don't fit me anymore. My suits that were 42 are all too small for me. Now I have to go for 44.
And some of the size Large shirts are too small.
After every workout I take Muscle Juice by Ultimate Nutrition which is a healthy muscle gainer packed with 1050 of calories, omega 3 fatty acids, 50g of proteins and complex carbs a shake.

This is sort of my routine. Time varies.

I usually start with some 10 minute cardio to stretch and get the blood going then lift for around an hour.
I do
back/tris/biceps monday
Chest/shoulders weds
Legs/abs friday

Every other week or so now tho I swap gym days with a p90x video of the corresponding parts for a more cardio and instensity style workout.

I will usually do my ab ripper x video a couple times during the week at the end of my workout tho. Fridays I will also throw in some exercises for other day's parts I feel may need some sprucing.

I used to run and have an intense routine but lately Ive been so busy Im lucky to get what I still get. Cant wait to calm down and get back in the gym again more.

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
Swingline how many sets do you do per exercise? I have a similar split to you but seems to go over 45 minutes for the whole workout as for example I do 3 different bicep exercises and each one is 3-4 sets. I dunno maybe I am taking a long break between each set?