How much can transplant really restore? Thoughts about FUE?

dd22

Reaction score
Would an FUE procedure really be able to make a dramatic impact for someone hoping to restore density to crown and scalp? Say if you keep losing hair afterwards, would you not be constantly worried about needing another hair transplant to cover the area and then running out of donor supply? But then you would be scarred and could not even shave it down...I am curious how people manage this issue? Does it cause people who have had transplants anxiety?

In the worst case scenario, and someone were to lose all their hair, how good would a transplant look? I have heard at most (using all available donor), hair transplants can restore 20% density of your natural hair. Does this sound accurate?

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
Would an FUE procedure really be able to make a dramatic impact for someone hoping to restore density to crown and scalp? Say if you keep losing hair afterwards, would you not be constantly worried about needing another hair transplant to cover the area and then running out of donor supply? But then you would be scarred and could not even shave it down...I am curious how people manage this issue? Does it cause people who have had transplants anxiety?

In the worst case scenario, and someone were to lose all their hair, how good would a transplant look? I have heard at most (using all available donor), hair transplants can restore 20% density of your natural hair. Does this sound accurate?
What you can accomplish with a hair transplant is totally dependent on the thickness of your donor and of course how much hair you still have on top. Unluckily the two things are directly related: if your baldness is aggressive, the chances that your donor area is also thin are higher.
When you say that hair transplant can restore 20% of the original thickness, you refer to the experience of a particular person, but there will be lots of cases in which 20% is too generous considering the donor area and the absence of "original" hair on the crown / frontal areas.
FUE leaves no big scars so that should not be a concern of yours.

follicle2001

Established Member
Reaction score
Beware of trying to really fill in the crown. It will suck up grafts and have the LEAST overall effect on your final appearance.

shookwun

Reaction score
Beware of trying to really fill in the crown. It will suck up grafts and have the LEAST overall effect on your final appearance.
yup. And eventually the crown will thin further, and eradicate your hairline then you're left with no frame, and an odd crown thats filled in.

people with crown loss are typically not good candidates.

follicle2001

Established Member
Reaction score
I think if you have crown loss you are still a good hair transplant candidate (most people do have crown loss to be sure) but I just meant that, IMHO, it is a mistake to focus on it if you need work elsewhere.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you're NW3 or less, you can pretty much get normal looking density, If you're NW4+ you won't get normal density, even with fine hair. aggresiive hair loss doesn't necessarily mean a thin donor, that will depend on natural hair density and hair diameter.

Gui

My Regimen
Reaction score
Then what option is there for crown coverage? Just don't fill it in ever?
I'm interested in this too, I have thinning on the crown which can be seen from the sides which is why I am interested in coverage there.

follicle2001

Established Member
Reaction score
People go nuts trying to fill in the crown. I get it-it bugs people and makes them feel like they look old. Still, it is the Achilles heel of hair transplant in the modern era as most people just do not have enough donor to fill in the top, front, and crown if they are headed to NW6 (as many people are). You can have a light crown coverage if you get the front and top done but don't expect the crown to ever look like it did when you were 18 unless you have really exceptional donor hair numbers and donor hair quality (which most of us do not have).

Marky9829

Reaction score
Would it work to use the majority of your donor hair on your hairline and temples and when you lose the back shave it all
Off and fill the back in with a scalp tatt?

Scalp tarts look good but the hairlines always give it away so if you had your own hair on your hairline I think it would work well.