How many guys have thinning areas above the sideburns

michael85

Reaction score
Hi guys
I have just about gotten used to the fact that I am clearly thinning in the NW6 are and tackling it full on with the big 3.
However I was reading an article about Diffuse Non-pattern Hairloss and it kinda freaked me out.

my hair at the back and sides is clearly thicker than the top, especially the temple triangles and crown where my thinning is the worst.

However the area above my sideburns in front of my ears is really thin. I also noticed that there is some thinning in a line across the very bottom of the back of the head.

however the rest is very thick especially compared to thinning top,
Does anybody else have this

Cheers

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score
The sides of my head are terrible. Behind my ear is probably the worst. I also have a recceding hairline too.

Nuli

Established Member
Reaction score
I do :thumbdown2: I was kinda hopeful at first because thinning on sides could mean a thyroid problem, but my blood work came back fine.

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It's a Norwood 8 sign too.

michael85

Reaction score
Cheers guys

That kerzyguy's photo cheered me up a little, his hair is absolutely awesome but he has thinning in the area that i was worried about on the sides. I actually don't really care how it looks i was just concerned that it might rule out a potential hair transplant somewhere down the line due to a poor donor area,

Ah well
just keep on the meds and see what happens,

follicle84

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Norwood 8!!!? i didnt know such a norwood existed. Is that like bald literally? My sideburns were like kerzyguy's two year ago. One of my sideburns is pretty thin now wtf. I asked a pharmacist what that could be and she said its nothing to worry about. Its just hair that is gentically sensitive to dht as we get older which can vary depending on your genetics its not male patternbaldness. I have mate who also has thin side burns but a full head of hair so i think she was right. Norwood 8 though scary. If i get that i wont be able to get hairmultiplication/clonning. On the otherhand however at least i wont need to shave my head when it finally happens.

Obsidian

Reaction score
Norwood 8 doesn't exist, it's just a Norwood 7 extreme

AKA Peter Boyle from Everybody Loves Raymond
peterboyle.jpg

I see a lot of those guys with sideburns thinning and they are still thick on top, doesn't mean much in my book unless thinning on top and even then it doesn't mean automatic NW8.

kerzyguy

Established Member
Reaction score
michael85 said:
Cheers guys

That kerzyguy's photo cheered me up a little, his hair is absolutely awesome but he has thinning in the area that i was worried about on the sides. I actually don't really care how it looks i was just concerned that it might rule out a potential hair transplant somewhere down the line due to a poor donor area,

Ah well
just keep on the meds and see what happens,

i dont feel that im thinning there at all, just the way the hair went today, as in your case, dont worry about it either, its probably nothing, like the other man said, unless ur thinning on top, dont worry, as u see in this pic, my sides arnt thinning or any of my hair for that matter, Norwood 2 with longer hair, makes a good coverup lol

Attachments

• n516100467_4373459_836.jpg
    n516100467_4373459_836.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 5,899

decro435

Experienced Member
Reaction score
My grandad is a Norwood 8 , there's only a thin strip of diffuse hair on the nape of his neck. Everything around the ears has been lost.

NORWOOD 8!

Obsidian

Reaction score
Decro has there ever been officially declared a Norwood 8 anywhere in hair loss besides message boards like NW0?

Nicky

Reaction score
Thinning on the sides is normal?
I ve read lots of Dr Rassman's posts on baldingblog and he exclaims the thinning on the sides is not associated with male pattern baldness. I am on the same boat. My hair are thinning on the sides slowly and I just feel that finasteride doesn't work.I am also applying rogaine 5% there for two months now but no difference.
I just wonder if there is any other reason besides male pattern baldness that cause my hairloss. I made thyroid tests but they appeared normal.
Guys,
Are there any other tests we can do for hair loss, except thyroid test (I heard of vitamin D deficiencies) ?

follicle84

Experienced Member
Reaction score
decro435 said:
My grandad is a Norwood 8 , there's only a thin strip of diffuse hair on the nape of his neck. Everything around the ears has been lost.

NORWOOD 8!

Decro perhaps your grandfather suffered from an extreme norwood 7 combined with senile alopecia.

Nicky said:
Are there any other tests we can do for hair loss, except thyroid test (I heard of vitamin D deficiencies) ?

A zinc deficiency can can cause hairloss. I know a female vegan who went thin on top from this.

ali777

Reaction score
follicle84 said:
A zinc deficiency can can cause hairloss. I know a female vegan who went thin on top from this.

My scalp is visible on the sides as well. I don't have any zinc deficiency, I take 15mg of zinc supplements most days.

We are supposed to lose upto 5mg of zinc per ejaculation, so anyone who ejaculates a lot should supplement his zinc levels :jackit: .

gps

Reaction score
I too have this problem, thinning above the ears and
losing lots of hair in that area. Not sure if others notice
it because the hair above the thinning area covers it
when its slightly longer, but definitely I can see the scalp
(it also stands in contrast to my side locks which I
keep long and is thick due to the beard hair).

Not sure if such loss is associated with male pattern baldness?, but overall I have male pattern baldness (temples are receeding pretty fast though (atleast NW3 now)

Axl_Rose

Established Member
Reaction score
I've always had thin hair above the sideburns, even my own sideburns are as thin as sh*t, I've never been able to really grow any, also i have a friend who has thinning around that area and has no signs of male pattern baldness.