How long was your shed? Im still shedding for 4mths straight

Thin

Established Member
Reaction score
I started taking .25mg of finasteride since 1/06/2005. My hair shed had halted until 6/01/2005. Since june, my hair has been shedding. Some days alot and some days a few. I'm still shedding today. I notice my top left side of my scalp is more visible than before.

So how long is the average shed for most people? Is a 4month+ shed normal for anyone on here?

G

Sheds normally last between 4 - 8 weeks.

However, some are longer. It's difficult to say really as everybody is different.

Hopefully it will slow down soon but rmemeber that it is normal to shed 50-100 hairs a day even if you don't have male pattern baldness.

Sir_LagaLot

Established Member
Reaction score
4th month on finasteride.

still clogging the sink.

But my hairs not looking worse than the shed during the first month. that definitely brought about a costmetic change. since then i keep shedding but its not made that big a difference as yet.

jeffsss

Reaction score
I personally think that the 100-150 'normal' hairs lost per day is BS.

I can take a shower and lather up my hair, run my fingers though it and pull like 10-15 hairs.

why? b/c my hair is getting thinner.. not b/c it's shedding. it looks/feels thinner.

shedding is just "Hope" in reality your just losing hair.

ever notice that it's never the short hairs on the sides that fall out and it's alwyas the longer ones you see in the sink, in your hand.

think that's just a coincidence?

Weepy

Established Member
Reaction score
jeffsss said:
I personally think that the 100-150 'normal' hairs lost per day is BS.

I agree. It's a bunch of BS. Those 100 to 150 strands do not routinely occur when you run your hands through your hair.

I just did an experiment. I ran my fingers through my hair ten times, and counted at the hairs at the end. This is 38 hairs in the span of about two minutes. And this is the just the hair I CAN see.

It is obvious that counting hairs is obsessive. But do you blame us? That crap about 100 to 150 is just to "calm us down" a/k/a "managing the patient."

Thin

Established Member
Reaction score
jeffsss said:
\

ever notice that it's never the short hairs on the sides that fall out and it's alwyas the longer ones you see in the sink, in your hand.

No, I notice both long and short hairs.

I do agree with you on the 100-150 hair per day is BS. But I believe 50 hairs per day is possible. Don't just count the times when you are in the shower.

damnthis

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: How long was your shed? Im still shedding for 4mths stra

Thin said:
I started taking .25mg of finasteride since 1/06/2005. My hair shed had halted until 6/01/2005. Since june, my hair has been shedding. Some days alot and some days a few. I'm still shedding today. I notice my top left side of my scalp is more visible than before.

So how long is the average shed for most people? Is a 4month+ shed normal for anyone on here?

My shedding has been slowly going down the last weeks/month, the first five months on treatments I shed very few hairs(finasteride was working), month five or six I started shedding which also lasted 3 or 4 months and is now slowing down.

I do believe we loose 100-150 hairs each day.

Barry_Blue

Established Member
Reaction score
I can remember washing my hair before I had male pattern baldness and I never lost a single hair in the sink - in fact I recall freaking out if I saw one!

Nowadays I lose anything between 50-200 hairs when I wash.

Thin

Established Member
Reaction score
I think I'm going to wait it out for 1 more month to see if the shed cuts back. If nothing happens I'm adding to my daily reg. The next thing will be the Tricomin CU spray or stop finasteride for 1 month to see if finasteride causing the shed. I notice that on days that I forget to take my 1/4 proscar when I take a shower, I don't have as many hair fallout. If I take the proscar and shower within the first 8 hours, I'll see quite a few hairs fallout. It all may just be coincidence.

Thin

Established Member
Reaction score
neiltom88 said:
You guys obviously don't understand hair cycling.

Your right, and my search comes back with horrible results. I could type in "shed" and get like 10,000 different threads of other info that doesn't pertain to shed.

jeffsss

Reaction score
neiltom88 said:
You guys obviously don't understand hair cycling.

well whatever you want to think man.

when I was 20 I could take two showers a day, put hair glue/gel in my hair to style it and not see a single hair.

now a days I'm really gentle in the shower when washing my hair, put a drop of hair gel in my hands for style and i get a handful of hair.

100-150 hairs per day is non-sense. the only reason why people say that is to calm people who are losing hair down.

I'm not saying we don't lose any hair and it doesnt grow back, but It's pretty obvious that we shouldhnt have a handfull of hair after a shower.

skeevy

Reaction score
Considering the hair that falls out during hair wash in the shower are thick terminal hairs, what is actually happening in the scalp(like we all notice at the start signs of male pattern baldness) that causes so much of all these hairs to drop?
If they were weak vellus hairs, its easy to see that they could be weak and have a shorter growth phase.

mike_076

Reaction score
here is my post from another thread

returnoftheshedi said:
I have always shed WELL over 100 hairs a day.
Everyone sheds over 100 hairs a day, whether or not they're losing hair. Counting hairs is a phrase used to describe obsessive compulsiveness for a reason ... and in this case its not advised either.

returnoftheshedi, our regiments are exactly alike except that I use 5% rogaine. HairlossTalk, I completely disagree with you on these two points. One does not just loose 100 hairs a day. I can't believe I'm seeing this statement appear all over the hairloss forums as something that is ok and should be accepted. Unless you're going through a shed, you do not loose over 100 hairs a day period that is an absolutely false statement. I've been loosing my hair for over 6 years now... I have a long history of sheds and I know exactly how much hair I loose when I go through them, and how detrimental they can be on one's overall well being. My worst shed took place when I started using rogaine. I would loose 35-45 hairs over the sink in the morning comb through, 50-60 hairs in the shower, and 15-25 hairs during the application of a thickening serum after the shower. This went on for 2 months and 1 and ½ weeks… I know, because I counted each one of them every single day, and I kept track of it through the entire duration of the shed on an excel spreadsheet. It had nothing to do with me obsessing over it, but only out of curiosity of finding out exactly how much hair I would loose in the shed and how long, exactly, it would last. Most people are simply just that, curious. Because of my experimental approach, my curiosity was satisfied… I lost at least 8000 hairs in the course of just over 2 months – at least, because those were the hairs I was able to count. Most would not care to take such meticulous approach; yet, everyone always wonders “how much will I loose, and how long will it last?â€￾ During the course of the shed, at the slightest blow of wind, I could feel individual hairs fall out as they would tickle my nose or my cheeks as they would drop down my face. Following the shed, I would loose no more than 5 hairs in the sink, 3-5 in the shower, and absolutely none as I would apply the thickening serum through my hair. Also, I would, over and over, as a sanity check, run my hand through my hair throughout the day, and none would come out. So where these people get “over 100 hairs lost daily is a normal thingâ€￾ I do not understand and I refuse to believe it.

mike_076

Reaction score
and one more post from another thread

I understand what male pattern baldness is... one does not loose 150 hairs a day!!!!!!!! That is absolutely a ridiculous statement and you are the one thats misinforming people. Give someone w/o a male pattern baldness a hat to wear, or in fact, do it yourself, for the entire day and then take it off, and see if you'll count 150 hairs in it. You don't just loose that much unless you're shedding. Use common sense, or better yet run this simple experiment. Another way to test this is to lightly hair spray your hair, just enough so it holds the hair in place. Then, at the end of the day comb through it, and count it. you will not count 150 hairs, or anything close it.

jumpedthegun

Established Member
Reaction score
mike_076,

8,000 hairs is A LOT, and surely made a noticeable difference. Regrowth of those hairs would also be quite noticeable. My question for you is did you get regrowth?

I'm beginning to wonder if anyone actually regrows the hairs they loose during their sheds.

mike_076

Reaction score
2 months after the shed there was a strong difference in the way the hair felt and looked. i had to come up with a new hairstyle because I couldn't style it the way I used to anymore. And yes, it all pretty much came back. I think that's what you can expect to loose during a 2 month shed. Most don't care to find out, but I took the time and did. This type of information or the exact numbers are well known to a drug company. Unfortunately, they'll never tell us what to expect.

Thin

Established Member
Reaction score
mike076,

How long was your longest shed period?

Today, I'm still seeing more than normal amount hair falling out and its been like this for 4 months now.

mike_076

Reaction score
Please define "more than normal" Do you know what normal is for you? Are you consistent with you treatment?

You need to be consistent, otherwise, you will not take full advantage of your treatment.

That was my longest shed. The shed on propecia only lasted about 6weeks.