How long after stopping minoxidil does the shed start?

centrum

Reaction score
I stopped minoxidil about 2 months ago ive been shedding like crazy. The first month nothing happend. But after that Its just been crazy. Im losing way too much hair and they all have little bulbs at the end. I didnt have this before when I was on minoxidil.

I also started using nizoral(2% Keto) and Revita AFTER I stopped minoxidil. Im not sure what happened but my scalp has never been this oily before in my life. I stopped using revita now for a while too but still lots of shedding and really oily.

Oh and something I noticed after a couple weeks off minoxidil and when I started these shampoos is that I now have lines/wrinkles kind of on both sides of my head. Like from the temple going back. just like 3-4 verticle lines on both sides. I also never had that before...

Anyone know wtf is going on here? Thanks

Breaking Bald

Established Member
Reaction score
Why did you quit minoxidil? And how long were you on it for before you quit?

centrum

Reaction score
It wasn't doing much for me. I never saw any imporvement from it really. Plus I had headaches and dark circles under my eyes, although those are still there just not as bad. I would also almost black out just getting up fast. I was on it for about a year and a half. 5% and for the first 5 months I put it on 2 times a day and later I just put it on at night a couple hours before going to bed. Not sure why I stayed on it for so long. Guess I was scared to lose all my hair like I am now.

The_Mentalist

Established Member
Reaction score
You have answered yoyr question. You started shedding in about two monthe of quitting minoxidil-This sounds just about right that your shedding is most likely due to quitting minoxidil that was holding the hair for you for all that time. The blackout you mentioned is due to low heart rate and BP caused by minoxidil. I would have just coninued using minoxidil in low doses such as half the recommended 1 ml. I am not sure about the vertical lines you mentioned

centrum

Reaction score
But how long am I going to shed this many hairs a day? And I really think Revita caused some of this shedding. After I stopped minoxidil and started Keto/Revita, my scalp is very oily after the shower. I've never been like this before. Those lines/wrinkles also appeared at the same time.

Bowser

Established Member
Reaction score
your hair may keep shedding till you reach the stage where your hair would have been had you not used any minoxidil. but this level is not the same as when you first started to apply it, as you are bound to have lost some hair through male pattern baldness over the two years. i don't think you should expect nizoral or revita to give you any compensation as they work in a different way to minoxidil.

ladysmanfelpz

Established Member
Reaction score
Let me know how it goes man. I'm in the process of quitting as well. I just got on finasteride and minoxidil didn't do much for me either, so I'm quitting it. minoxidil didn't really do much for me either. The only time I had thicker hair was its first regrowth, but after that it just kept getting thinner. I really tried to stick to it and made sure to apply twice a day everyday. Only made it worse. I was in a constant shed and my hair was the thinnest its ever been. Took 5 days off of minoxidil and I didn't really see an increase in shedding. The finasteride and 2% keto have really stopped my shedding. Got scared by people on these forums that I was gonna lose all my hair from stopping so I applied the other night and in the morning. Thing is, my hair looked worse than being off it. Looked really thin and not healthy at all. I got the dark circles when on it and acne was another bad side affect for me, but I didn't think I got the puffy face. But the day I used it I went to the gym and I kept looking at myself in the mirror and realized I wasn't as attractive looking. My nose and jaw line weren't as sharp. That made me want to quit it for good. I would much rather have an attractive face and natural (slow cuz of finasteride) balding than an acne puffy face guy that keeps his hair around by applying a messy liquid every day and night. Going to give it a shot. Am only applying to the temples now and if I see a massive shed starting, I might apply it. Trying to get off it as slow as possible so the hair doesn't go into a shock. Don't let people scare you man. People say never quit minoxidil, but I say in our cases it was only doing more harm than good. I've been on for about 2 years now and the only reason I stayed on is because people said never quit, but after seeing my hair only get thinner from it, I think its time to quit. Interested to hear how it goes for you.

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Let me know how it goes man. I'm in the process of quitting as well. I just got on finasteride and minoxidil didn't do much for me either, so I'm quitting it. minoxidil didn't really do much for me either. The only time I had thicker hair was its first regrowth, but after that it just kept getting thinner. I really tried to stick to it and made sure to apply twice a day everyday. Only made it worse. I was in a constant shed and my hair was the thinnest its ever been. Took 5 days off of minoxidil and I didn't really see an increase in shedding. The finasteride and 2% keto have really stopped my shedding. Got scared by people on these forums that I was gonna lose all my hair from stopping so I applied the other night and in the morning. Thing is, my hair looked worse than being off it. Looked really thin and not healthy at all. I got the dark circles when on it and acne was another bad side affect for me, but I didn't think I got the puffy face. But the day I used it I went to the gym and I kept looking at myself in the mirror and realized I wasn't as attractive looking. My nose and jaw line weren't as sharp. That made me want to quit it for good. I would much rather have an attractive face and natural (slow cuz of finasteride) balding than an acne puffy face guy that keeps his hair around by applying a messy liquid every day and night. Going to give it a shot. Am only applying to the temples now and if I see a massive shed starting, I might apply it. Trying to get off it as slow as possible so the hair doesn't go into a shock. Don't let people scare you man. People say never quit minoxidil, but I say in our cases it was only doing more harm than good. I've been on for about 2 years now and the only reason I stayed on is because people said never quit, but after seeing my hair only get thinner from it, I think its time to quit. Interested to hear how it goes for you.

Hey, I feel for you....

hofh

Reaction score
I stopped minoxidil about 2 months ago ive been shedding like crazy. The first month nothing happend. But after that Its just been crazy. Im losing way too much hair and they all have little bulbs at the end. I didnt have this before when I was on minoxidil.

I also started using nizoral(2% Keto) and Revita AFTER I stopped minoxidil. Im not sure what happened but my scalp has never been this oily before in my life. I stopped using revita now for a while too but still lots of shedding and really oily.

Oh and something I noticed after a couple weeks off minoxidil and when I started these shampoos is that I now have lines/wrinkles kind of on both sides of my head. Like from the temple going back. just like 3-4 verticle lines on both sides. I also never had that before...

How you holding up? :) Has the post-minoxidil shed stopped? and are you anywhere near your baseline? I have also decided to stop the use of minoxidil foam and liquid. Although the foam was much better than the liquid with no dandruff/itching. The reason I quit is because I've noticed facial side effects as dark circles under eyes, wrinkles, bloating face and bags under eyes after using Kirkland minoxidil foam. And some of these side effects have been reduced by under one week off. I used Minoxidil once a day for about approximately 4 month (not consistent), and also Finasteride for approximately the same time, mayby a little longer (0,25 mg everyday). I have seen some results, but its not better than baseline(before I used minoxidil). I am quite aware of the horrible shedding I will experience in about 3 to 4 months after quitting minoxidil, but IMO it's better beeing bald and have a young face, than having a head full of hair and a crappy face. I have buzzed my hair short all this time I was on minoxidil, and hopefully Toppik will cover some of the shedding I will experience in a few months. Hope anyone can give their experience after quitting minoxidil (if there is someone here who ever stopped?;P) Will I recover to baseline after the post-minoxidil shedding phase? or is my hair doomed forever after started to use (IMHO) this crappy product (minoxidil)? Don't even try convincing me to stay on minoxidil. I will rather shave my head (looks much better than a thin scalp) than continue using minoxidil. Note that this is NOT a attempt to scare anyone from trying minoxidil. It's a great product for those who don't suffer from these side effects I have experienced. I also have ordered a new product called Spectral DNC-N. (N for Nanoxidil). I know I know it's a new product, not fully tested and different users review around the web. But I think it wouldn't harm trying it, shouldn't give the same side effects I had with minoxidil because theres no minoxidil in it. Unless theres someone on this form having a bad experience with nanoxidil? Thanks for any help and input Best wishes to y'all PS sorry for bad english ;P

Mehmet1234

My Regimen
Reaction score

I stopped using minoxidil more than 2 months ago due to side effects. I didn’t have any itchy scalp
Or oily scalp when I was using it. 10 days after I stopped using minoxidil my scalp became oily and itchy. It has been more than 2 months now and my scalp is still oily. Did anyone had problem like this? Please help

Benne9

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ive been on 5mg oral min for 6.5 months and haven't stopped shedding 100p hairs a day.

So like if i quit minoxidl will my shedding increase even if it didn't work or caused me to shed more?

Im a year on finasteride btw.

If u stop ull die