How detectable are hair systems?

Reaction score
And how often do you take them off? Do you take them off to shower, sleep, exercise?

Do your friends know you wear one if you don't tell them? What about strangers?

What's the difference between a system and a wig/toupee that has been glued on?

Noah

Reaction score
Hey GFDS

If you get a decent one (which needn't be expensive) with appropriate density, get it cut in well, and apply it well, they are very undetectable. So much so that even if you know someone is wearing one, you still can't see anything. You would have to know what you're looking for and be staring at someone's hairline from an inch away before you could spot anything. I have never been "spotted" by friends or strangers since I began wearing the fine lace systems.

I take mine off and swap it for a clean one once a week. You can do longer, but it makes the clean-up messier. I sleep, shower and exercise in mine. Some older married guys take them off at night.

I don't think there is any real difference between a system and a toupee - toupee is just an older less appealing name. They are both patches of hair on a fine artificial scalp, glued on to fill in a man's bald patch. However what has changed is the quality of the systems and the glues that are available to the average guy, and the prices. In the old days the toupees available to the working Joe were thick and easily detectable, and the adhesives were embarrassingly unreliable (if old Hollywood comedies are anything to go on). Technology has cured those problems.

Noah

Noah

Reaction score
I think it is mainly ignorance of what is available. Obviously guys who wear good ones tend not to publicise the fact, so the ones people are aware of are the bad ones - Great Uncle Joe's clip-on wash'n'wear toupee circa 1922, complete with nylon hair. Even some of the rich and famous seem to be stuck in the past - Peter Orszag is a great example. It's not all bad. These monstrosities are what the public associates with prosthetic hair, which allows nice lightweight modern hairpieces, eg those worn by Dan Abrams, to go mostly under the radar.

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
This is excellent. Dont forget we know he is wearing and are looking for it. 999/1000 people will never suspect a thing

Noah

Reaction score
You are imagining it Vincent! There is no way anyone could spot a lace base on those photographs even if the lace was visible in real life - the image is far too blurry. Now you know he is wearing a piece, your mind is filling in the detail.

In fact Dan Abrams wears a really nice piece now, and there are lots of high resolution photos of him none of which expose the fact he wears. The one I posted was sent to me by a rather weird guy who was obsessed with outing celebrity wearers. It was effectively his hobby, so he probably spent months trawling through the Web to find it.

My guess is that on that one occasion Abrams had an inexperienced make-up person who put make-up on his front lace, and that, combined with the very harsh theatrical lighting these guys work in, has exposed the front of the base on this one occasion. There also seems be a lot of bare lace showing, so maybe the piece was shedding at the hairline and the lace needed to be trimmed back. Unfortunate for the guy, although I think there were already rumors that he wore one. It must be hard to keep these things quiet if you are having various make-up people and cameramen in your face every day.

F2005

Established Member
Reaction score
I guess my worries with a wig would be the constant maintenance and also the method of gluing it to the scalp. I lead an active lifestyle, and I sweat a lot, both during a workout and during the summer. Under these circumstances, I fear that the adhesive would loosen, not to mention the itching and irritation on a bare scalp. Also, I cannot imagine being with a woman and having to announce to her that I am wearing a wig. I've heard that they are detectable enough by touch that a man must tell their woman that they are wearing a wig.

F2005

Established Member
Reaction score
I hear ya, relax. More power to you. I was just hoping that maybe some one like Noah could address some of the concerns I posted.

Noah

Reaction score
Ha, that's funny. I was thinking of replying to your post yesterday, but then I thought you seemed to have made up your mind that a "wig" would not be for you. I also got the impression from your repeated use of the term "wig" that you were mocking guys who resort to prosthetic hair. Most of us prefer "hair system" or "hair piece".

But since you ask for my perspective on your concerns, here goes:

'the constant maintenance' - well, I guess that's true. I probably spend 1 hour 20 minutes or so a week taking mine off, cleaning it, and putting a fresh one on. I think that is a reasonable investment of time for what I get out of it. On top of that, I check the hairline every morning and if I am going out in the evening, or if I find myself alone in the restroom at work at lunchtime (say 5 minutes a week in total). Also, there is some time spent ordering new hair systems and glue etc - maybe 45 minutes every 3 or 4 months.

'the method of gluing it to the scalp' - Some new guys worry about this, but I think it is a red herring. Provided you use the water-based glues that I use, and alcohol to desolve them, you should have no problem. They are no harsher on your scalp than hairgel, and people have been using these glues for decades without a problem. This comment doesn't apply to the acrylic hard bond that Hair Club-type places use. I would be a bit concerned about using these over the long term, although I emphasise I am no medic.

'I lead an active lifestyle, and I sweat a lot, both during a workout and during the summer. Under these circumstances, I fear that the adhesive would loosen' - I can only give you my own experience on this. I don't spend a lot of time in the gym, but I am a keen competition cyclist - road racing and mountain biking - and I live in a part of the world that is very humid for part of the year. It is a seriously sweaty business. I always make sure I have a fresh attachment before events, but I have never had an issue with my unit coming loose. It actually surprises me that it isn't a problem, but there it is. The glues which are available nowadays for hairpieces are excellent. The sweat goes up through the lace, which is a light airy mesh, and the glue stays where it is. It is almost certainly true that the glue becomes less strong. For obvious reasons I have never tried tugging on my unit immediately after a race when I am hot and sweaty, but I have pulled it off in the privacy of my bathroom during a hot shower. It isn't so weak that it just lifts off, but equally you wouldn't want someone to give your hair a hard tug in that situation. But once you cool down it returns to full strength. I guess most wearers in that situation have a cap with them for after sweaty situations like that.

'not to mention the itching and irritation on a bare scalp' - I don't really suffer from that. The lace is the same consistency as pantyhose but without the stretch, so it is not irritating. I think most cases of itch and irritation are either (1) people keeping the unit on too long a la Hair Club and sacrificing their scalp hygiene, or (2) an allergic reaction to a particular adhesive, for which the remedy is use a different adhesive.

'Also, I cannot imagine being with a woman and having to announce to her that I am wearing a wig. I've heard that they are detectable enough by touch that a man must tell their woman that they are wearing a wig' - No, that is not true. There are definitely men's hair pieces available today which can (with a bit of care, it must be said) be made undetectable to dates. I have physical relationships for 3 or 4 months during which I haven't disclosed about my hair. This is really the game-changing difference between the toupees of the 1970's and a state-of-the-art modern hair system. The 70's toupee required a suspension of disbelief by the wearer and the people around him - everyone could really tell he was wearing, but there was a common understanding that no one would mention it. Nowadays the materials used to make hairpieces, the manufacturing techniques, and the glues to hold them have changed all that, and a wearer can genuinely keep his wearing to himself, which makes it doable for a younger guy in the dating market, as many of us are.

That said, however undetectable they are, if you are to live a normal life you will one day have to fess up to the one you love, so if that is a deal breaker for you it is better that you don't go down this path. I have done the big reveal a few times now, and I can only tell you that it is nowhere near as big a deal as you imagine beforehand.

Hope this helped.

Noah

F2005

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response Noah. I certainly didn't mean to disrespect you at all for wearing a "hair system". I apologize if I came across that way. I was just genuinely curious and was voicing my concerns. A couple of my friends wear hair systems. One of them, I never ask him about it since it is a very sensitive subject for him. The other guy talked to me a bit about it. but apparently his hair system was not as good as yours (from what I read from your post), and presented some of the drawbacks I mentioned above. Unfortunately most of today's remedies for hair loss do present significant enough drawbacks for me not to resort to them. But your extensive post leads me to believe that hair systems don't present as many drawbacks as I thought, especially with regards to touch and detection. And thanks for your extensive reply man. I wish you well.