Hormone Replacement Therapy Reverted My Androgenetic Alopecia | Page 5 | HairLossTalk Forums
Dismiss Notice
Forum Update: Aug 19. Feedback for the Admin? Upgrade coming: Click Here.

Hormone Replacement Therapy Reverted My Androgenetic Alopecia

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by chillvisio, Aug 31, 2016.

1. bridgeburn

bridgeburn Senior Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    If Bica blocks androgen receptors then it should protect against DHT effects, but it doesn't sound like it was doing a good job at that.

rclark likes this.
  2. bridgeburn

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Bic sounds teffifying :eek::confused:

3. folfoxorack

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    That's what I thought ... But with "only" 0.5-1mg dutasteride + 25-50mg Bicalutamide + 25mg Cyproterone my itchy scalp came back ... When I returned to Dutasteride at 1-2mg ...this itchy scalp disappeared ...
    As I said some of trans MTF still take Finasteride or even Dutasteride with Cyproterone/Estradiol treatment. Because without anti-DHT hair loss is not cured, even with very low Testosterone.

itchymadscalp likes this.
  4. bridgeburn

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    maybe your body was resisting the medication. I heard some get hornier at first after starting cypro but then it goes away. I agree anti-DHT is important cause if even a little bit of testosterone turns to Dht, then it becomes at least 10x stronger. and does itching always mean hairloss?

5. folfoxorack

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    With Cypro my balls shrank a lot ... it works well.
    Yeah Itchy scalp means hair loss, at least for me.

itchymadscalp likes this.
  6. chillvisio

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    CPA and bicalutamide have both possible liver damage and elevated liver enzymes as side effects, so taking them together synergistically increases the risk.
    DHT blocker is a good choice for those who still have their T not in female range. Once on E2 and having T suppresded, DHT will be in female ranges as well and as we know women don't have Androgenetic Alopecia unless they have PCOS which means their T will be above female range.
    DHT blockers don't help in stimulating hair growth. It's E2 and also minoxidil which be of some help.

#86 chillvisio, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  7. dustovshio

dustovshio Member

Dislikes Received:
    Thanks for your response I was taking spironolactone at one time in conjunction with cpa (diane35) and started getting some muscle weakness. I thought the cpa was suspect, but in retrospect I think maybe the spironolactone was the cause of general muscle atrophy low libido etc.

8. dustovshio

dustovshio Member

Dislikes Received:
    So how did you come to the conclusion that E2 can stimulate hair growth.

9. chillvisio

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    I have a friend of mine who's a cisgender dude and he takes just a 5AR inhibitor. His hair loss stopped, but he didn't regrow. Then he added minoxidil and he managed to regrow some (but not that great amounts) of his lost hair.
    I started (as it might me seen from my log with AA, E2 and 5AR inhibitor and I experienced better regrowth than this dude. Almost 3 months ago I stopped my AR inhibitor and my hairline didn't recede a bit, but I'm still noticing new (short like 4-5mm) terminal hairs growing on my hairline, so it definitely is estradiol to thank for the regrowth. Most eunuchs have lower T levels than women, and they experience no regrowth by just being castrated.

DHTpolice and bridgeburn like this.
  10. dustovshio

dustovshio Member

Dislikes Received:
    Antydht wasn't on estradiol only cpa and he regrew but that's not surprising since cpa causes massive hair growth when taken orally. Not sure if I agree with the part about estradiol not effecting your dick until you stop it though. Seems like it immediately starts to fubar it.

11. chillvisio

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    He was on estradiol as well (though I don't remember topical or Diane), but as he's a cisgender man he was lucky enough to not have any notable breast tissue growth. It's very rare for people on such a heavy regimen.
    Regarding the erectile disfunction that's a YMMV thing. Androgen deprivation will eventually stop spontaneous morning erections and will also lower your sex drive. Spontaneous erections have the very purpose to maintain your genitalia's size even if you don't have frequent sexual contacts. So if it doesn't get erections for a long enough time it's tissue will atrophy and the stimulated erections will be less hard and will not last longer. Speaking about my case (YMMV), I'm using it less than once a month and the erections had become painful, but when stimulated they last quite longer and it's not the desired effect (by me) :'(
    But no argue, after a while on AAs your testes will decrease in size - it's just guaranteed.

12. folfoxorack

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    What I wanted to say is :
    A lot of guys are thinking about taking Anti Androgens like Cyproterone, or Bicalutamide, or even Estradiol. They think it's the best choice.
    I say : No.
    They just have to nuke DHT level. With Dutasteride.
    It's not because you lower your testosterone level that your hair will be saved. I'm sure of that now. Even if you lower your testosterone levels to female ranges. Even women, with female testosterone range, lose their hair. That's what I learnt from trans MTF actually. I'm disappointed, because I really thought it will cure my hair loss ...
    If you have a very agressive hair loss, don't take Testosterone blockers, just take Dutasteride at high dose, and it will work. And you won't have boobs. But it may kill your libido like it does with me. (And Cyproterone + Bicalutamide + Low dose Dutasteride = high libido).

itchymadscalp and chillvisio like this.
  13. bridgeburn

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    suit yourself, I'm gunna stay on the safe side and reduce both T and DHT. :D

KSA and Alle Kosten like this.
  14. chillvisio

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    My regimen is definitely not suitable for other people than trans women. Being a cisgender dude or a non-binary person who's not okay with the idea of boob growth is problematic and will eventually lead to what us trans women feel pre-transition - gender dysphoria. Maybe not all individuals who are not questioning their gender will be dysphoric by having boobs, but most will.

Alle Kosten and folfoxorack like this.
  15. folfoxorack

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    It's not a the safest choice if you're not trans actually. But ... I cant criticize you, because I still do the same :/

itchymadscalp and bridgeburn like this.
  16. hlt4678

hlt4678 New Member

Dislikes Received:
    I completely agree with you, Chilvisio. If you are a guy and you take hormone replacement therapy drugs you need to be very careful. Dysphoria has ruined my life. It's made me loose all my confidence. The best way I can explain how it feels is that if you are a guy with hair loss you can remember those moments when you look up at your hairline and notice there is has been more shedding. You get that hopeless, panicky feeling. Because you know it could be permanent. It's not good. Now translate that to the rest of your body. This is what Dysphoria feels like. This is what trans women experience when they go through male puberty. Every time you look in the mirror. Every single time you notice something. You notice your chest hair growing and your muscles developing and you voice going deeper and deeper. You get that hopeless panicky feeling, throughout your day. It's not just your hairline it's your whole fucking body. It's horrendous. It can sap the life out of you. So can you imagine growing breasts and you know that you are a guy and you don't want breasts? You want your ass to fill out, like mine did? Loss of libido? Or your chest hair falling out?

Just be careful, guys.

I am very lucky in that the country I live in has universal healthcare and I can get Leuprorelin injections for free. I used to be on Cypro 50mg a day and after switching five months ago to Leuprorelin I've not noticed any real changes except I know that it's probably healthier over time.

chillvisio and DHTpolice like this.
  17. bridgeburn

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    I'm sure this is very true for most, but honestly I'm not trans but I fucking hate hairloss and taking hormones is the best decision i've ever made

18. chillvisio

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    What you wrote somehow reminded me of the story of the person who had an neurological illness that was put into remission (now for 3 years) by using HRT. They claim to identify as male, they don't look dysphoric and they are living with their wife.
    So maybe some cis people may for some reason consciously go through the sex change process and not feel that bad, but I've seen many testimonials from cis people with Androgenetic Alopecia who were at some pount taking estradiol to regrow their hair and most of them are unhappy with their breast growth.

Which were exactly the desired effects of HRT. And loss of male libido was one of the effect I loved most. It was of course replaced by female libido which I guess a cisgender male person won't like that much.

DHTpolice and bridgeburn like this.
  19. bridgeburn

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    geez, that's Interesting but I hope I don't have a neurological illness! Im fine as long as I can wear a loose shirt without looking unusual, If my boobs get too big I could get them surgically removed. Most other effects are positive actually. like having less acne and body odor is not bad

chillvisio likes this.
  20. JeanLucBB

JeanLucBB Senior Member My Regimen

Dislikes Received:
    My Regimen:
    My Regimen
    My Regimen
    Won't they just regrow if you cut them off though