hopeless

G

At times I feel as thought I am being unduly punished...by whom, I do not know... But occasionally life's difficulties seem to be larger that I am..

I was a complete and utter idiot--I styled my hair in a way that resulted thinning.. I wore my hair in ponytails..never imaginng that such a horrific situation would ever, or could ever befall me...

I was nearing 19 when I realized the sides were thinning.. So I foolishly thought I could correct the problem by changing the way in which I styled my hair. I started clipping it..and occasionally wearing it down. I suppose the condition was exacerbated by the fact that I was (and still am) under a tremendous amount of stress b/c I went away to college and had a miserable freshman year (during which I also went on Accutane & birth control).

I have since transferred schools, but the hairloss persists. I think I'm a naturally high-stress person... I just feel like this should have ceased long ago. I am now 21 and feel hopeless/helpless. Too young to be experiencing this. To be quite honest, sometimes I think I'd prefer just to close my eyes and never wake up.

I suppose I've been dealing with hair loss for at least three years now. I have visited my GP on 2 occasions. First time, she said it didn't look too bad--said that if it was stress-induced, it would take time for my hair to grow back. Second time she tested my blood to see if my thyroid was functioning normally & to see if I was anemic. The tests were normal. My dermatologist (visited when I was on Accutane) basically said that the hard/cold reality was that there was actually very little that could be done for hairloss. Said that Rogaine really helped very few women (which btw, I did try for a brief bit--gave up, though--thinking I should invest in a wig).

Anyway, at this point, I really would appreciate some good, solid advice. I need to know where a reliable/sensitive place is to go for hairstyling/hair pieces. I just need to appropriately deal with the problem and move on. Or at least try to. It's become quite troubling..bothersome, what have you. Where is a good place in either Northern or Southern California to seek help?

The situation is frustrating..it makes me feel powerless..depressed...hopeless... self-conscious..and now it's really messing up my plans---I'm supposed to intern this summer & I clearly cannot wear a baseball cap to the office everyday. What am I to do? What looks natural? How do I explain this to family and friends? I've only really talked to my mother (alluded, in brief) and to one friend (long ago-- before it got so bad)... I just don't know what to do.

Please help.

G

You are not being punished.

Read the research and eductation sections of this website and then come back here with specific questions.

Then, it might be appopriate to see a good MD.

We can help.

G

see a good MD or derm. follow there advise! try some hair thicking shampoo/nioxin/revitalize also buy nizeral to stop the swelling=it works!
set a good diet-stay away from fatty foods/take vitamins. dont get on rogaine unless the dr. says it ok-once on you must stay on

G

If you are still out there, I think that your hair loss is from the Accutane and/or Birth Control Pill. If you are still on the pill -go off (you may have a bad hair shed, but taking it may be have been causing it to fall out). I don't know about the exact timing, but these will contribute to your hair loss at the very least.

Get bloodwork for thyroid, iron, hormones, etc. Eat well and find a new dermatologist - she should have known that Accutane causes hair loss.

Good luck!

ksuess85

Reaction score
Hey,
I'm 18 so I can relate to you pretty well I am sure. I keep asking myself what I could have done differently so not be in this situation. Every day I ask myself...."why me?" At 5 ft 9 I already felt like a freak of nature being so tall. But one thing that is helping me is trying my best to be informed. It makes me feel like a have at least a little control in this crazy whirlwind of emotions that is hairloss. I was really upset about my hair earlier today and was kinda moping around, but then I went out and had a great night. So you can still have fun! Oh and I think stress tends to be a cop out for a lot of drs when they don't know/want to preceed investigating. Be persistant and find a better dr. And hang in there!