Honest hair transplant Doctors in Los Angeles

heyitzalex

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been a lurker on this forum for a while now, reading up on all of your success and failure stories, regimens, results, etc. And one thing I've concluded, is that the male hair loss industry is one full of lies and scams. Los Angeles, being the cosmetic surgery capital of the US, should make it easy to find an honest, hair transplant doctor. Instead, the ones I've received consultations from, all seem like business, salesmen, trying to sell you that extra graft here to make that extra money. I don't blame them, since this is a business for them, but us patients, it's so much more than that.

Here's my story.

I've received 2 consultations from 2 "popular" and "well-reviewed" doctors in the LA area. I am at a NW2.5 hairline, with some thinning and receding at the front and temples. I don't mind staying at this state forever, but I just don't want it to get any worse. No male in my family is bald at all, no one is any worse than a NW3 with only recession at the hairline.

So results of my consultations:

Doctor #1:

Originally stated that I probably won't go bald, and will stay at a NW3 or NW3A at most. Looked at my hair with that little microscope thing, determined density, and all that stuff. Initially suggested I'll need 1000 grafts via FUE. I thought that was kind of high, considering Dr. Diep's videos on youtube and comparing myself to the patients. I suggested that, and I said I think I should be able to get by with 600. He said sure, that'll work too. Estimate went from $8000 to about $5000. $8/graft.

Doctor #2:

Went to this doctor about a month later, he said I was a NW4. I will need 1500 grafts via FUE, and will come back within 3-5 years to get more and more. Also, asked who I initially went to, and this doctor ended up giving me reasons as to why I should not go with the 1st doctor. His estimate: $12,000. Again, $8/graft.

$5000 vs $12,000 from 2 "respected", "popular" doctors? And how Doctor #2 attempted to badmouth Doctor #1's procedure...very professional indeed.

Los Angeles is the cosmetic surgery capital of the US, I'm now even debating going to South Korea, the cosmetic travel capital of the world. At around $3/graft, you can easily save a ton of money, receive much better work, and make a vacation out of it. I guess that's my next step, looking overseas. I am Asian, so it wouldn't be too far of a stretch. I'm not in a super rush, but I would much rather do my research first, and get a warm fuzzy from the consultation before committing to paying thousands of dollars for this.

Any other experiences you guys can share from the LA folks?

AnthonyB

Reaction score
Same situation

Hey there. Don't know if you still need the procedure but I went to a few Drs here in LA and I gotta say that I fell into the same trap. I'm scheduled for another consult and I signed up here to see if anyone else can give any advice on any clinics or surgeons in the LA area that don't charge too much and have great results. I know I need more grafts than you but I can't afford paying so much and I would like to have it done in one day rather than keep going. I'm still keeping my options open and researching but I would reccomend you steer away from anyone in Beverly Hills. The Capitol of cosmetic surgeons. They end up charging way too much because they need to. They have a higher overhead and they need to keep a reputation so they mark up their prices in my opinion. Not to say they aren't good but I'm sure I can find a better deal with the same work if not better if I keep looking. I found this one clinic that I can't find too much info on but they are called LA hair clinic. They are located in Pasadena ca. They advertise starting $3.00 a graft and they only do FUE I think. Anyway I'm gonna go for a free consult and see what they say. Seems too good to be true but worth a shot. I'll keep u posted if u like. Good luck.

Wylie

Reaction score
Anyplace in the U.S. that offers $3.00 a graft FUE is going to give you a nice hatchet job surgery that you will spend more money on trying to fix than if you had of just done it right the first time. The upside to having to spend extra money for a repair is that you probably won't be too worried about it anyway, because the living hell that your life becomes with you obsessing over your botched appearance will make your new debt quickly be forgotten.

If you go to any chop shop offering $3.00 a graft FUE in the U.S. and expect HAIRLINE work done competently, you deserve what they give you.

arfy

Established Member
Reaction score
$5000 vs $12,000 from 2 "respected", "popular" doctors? And how Doctor #2 attempted to badmouth Doctor #1's procedure...very professional indeed.

The doctors are all in competition with each other, and it's common for them to bad-mouth each other, privately. I would get more consultations and don't mention what other doctors told you, or that you've even talked to other doctors.

Also, instead of thinking Dr. #1 saving you money, he may have very well "low-balled" your estimate to make it seem more affordable (and thus get your business). Dr. #2 may have very well been more realistic, it's really impossible to tell who is right. They are guessing about the progression of your hair loss, and possibly just telling you things that you want to hear.

In my experience, it's a very corrupt industry with a lot of scammers. We're all brought up to believe that doctors are good people who just want to help us, but with hair transplants you have to forget about all that.

One doctor said 1000, the other one said 1500. 600 is just your own opinion, and you're just beginning to investigate this. 600 grafts doesn't really do much in most cases (hard to know, since you didn't post pics). In my opinion, usually if you need 600 grafts, then you quite possibly don't need a hair transplant yet.

If you are Asian with coarse donor hair, then that is considered a positive as coarse hair provides better coverage.

I can't recommend any doctors in LA, and I usually recommend not to get a hair transplant at all.

(oh crap, I just noticed the original post is almost 6 months old)