HM Update....

HairyPotter

Established Member
Reaction score
I just heard a recent interview done with Dr. Washenik (from Aderans Research Institute) about the current status of HM (hair multiplication)...

For those of you who havent heard it here are some of the main points:

- According to Dr. Washenik HM will be ready in 2009!!! :D
- First generation HM will have a modest multiplication factor, greater than 1 for 1 exchange, but not unlimited donor hair.... yet
- It is very likely going to be a combination treatment, meaning getting a regular hair transplant + HM to get more density.
- The first generation HM will not be able to transform NW7 to NW1 (but maybe close?)
- Donor area will likely be an inch or a couple of cm's.
- Drugs needed after treatment? Yes (Dr. Washenik advises to continue using Propecia/minoxidil to conserve the rest of the hair)
- Cost is still not clear (likely to be more than a conventional hair transplant, $7500+ USD)
- It will most likely be approved first in the US and then overseas
- How will the results look? Wasnt too specific but he said there wont be an unacceptable first generation (like with hair transplant's)
- Injected hair cells grows in the head
- In about a year from now we'll have more info....

dead

Experienced Member
Reaction score
bingo bongo! :)

Any links or stuff or did he call you on your mickey mouse phone?

JayB

Experienced Member
Reaction score
in case you didnt know, he has been saying for almost 3 years now it would definately be available in 2007. HE just pushed it back to 2009 now.

follijinxed

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes, Aderans HM is hardly going to be worth it and he keeps pushing it back. I give up. I'm now looking forward to the hedgehog agonist, osteoscreen and RU, etc in the next few years. Then, maybe in another 20 years we'll be able to have the hair we were born with.

jambri

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't think Washenik's report suggested injecting hair cells. Rather, I thought it involved regular surgical placement of hairs (same as hair transplant).

I think our best bet is still fibroblast injections. These currently can cure baldness (if you don't mind hair growing in random directions). The problem with the fibroblast research currently is in ensuring good directional growth. I would also rather have a few simple skin cell injections than a ton of surgically placed hairs.

chew

Established Member
Reaction score
is this injection stuff already being done? or is there alink to an article about it?

chew

Established Member
Reaction score
no ones been here for a while (this forum i mean)...but for surfers here is another releas from Intercytex:

And hair comes the good news

The baldies' big hope, Intercytex, has raised £12m from existing shareholders, bringing total funding to £31m since the company was founded in 2000.

Headquartered at St John's Innovation Centre in Cambridge, Intercytex has developed a way of stimulating human cells to reproduce, not only to re-start hairgrowth, but also to accelerate wound-healing and replace skingrafts with specially grown skin replacement.

The baldness treatment involves taking a small biopsy or sample hair follicles during a half-hour operation under local anaesthetic at a hair or skin clinic.

The sample is then sent to Intercytex' manufacturing plant in Manchester where the hairproducing cells are extracted and nurtured for three weeks before being returned to the clinic to be injected into the patient's scalp.

The company says a new head of hair should be evident after three months.

Early trials have proved successful, with further ones planned for next year in the UK and US.

The latest investment comes from existing shareholders, Cambridge- based Avlar BioVentures, 3i, Cambridge Gateway Partnership, plus Sir Chris Evans' Merlin Biosciences, NIF Ventures, and Scottish Equity Partners.

Nick Higgins, Intercytx ceo, said: "We are extremely pleased to have raised this considerable sum and are fortunate to have such committed and supportive investors."

The money will be used to complete late-stage trials of the wound care product, take the hair regeneration product through laterstage clinical trails, and to move the living skin replacement programme into clinical trails.

Intercytex has also announced two new board appointments, Alan Suggett, formerly group director with Smith & Nephew, and John Aston, cfo at Cambridge Antibody Technology.

elguapo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
In the interview, which I thought was aweful the way he dodged every questoin and never gave a single definite answer, he mentioned 3 locations that were in collaboration with Bosley and their parent company. Luckily, he did NOT mention Intercytex, though I swear I read somewhere on this forum that Intercytex was planning to work with Bosley for their later stage (II and III) clinical trials, at least in the States.

My point is, the interview is sort of depressing, didn't really have a greatly positive tone to it, but it sounds like what Washenik is doing and what Intercytex is doing are separate efforts.

So let's hope Intercytex has a better outlook than what this interview suggests.

HairyPotter

Established Member
Reaction score
chew said:
no ones been here for a while (this forum i mean)...but for surfers here is another releas from Intercytex:

The baldies' big hope, Intercytex, has raised £12m from existing shareholders, bringing total funding to £31m since the company was founded in 2000.

Headquartered at St John's Innovation Centre in Cambridge, Intercytex has developed a way of stimulating human cells to reproduce, not only to re-start hairgrowth, but also to accelerate wound-healing and replace skingrafts with specially grown skin replacement.

The baldness treatment involves taking a small biopsy or sample hair follicles during a half-hour operation under local anaesthetic at a hair or skin clinic.

The sample is then sent to Intercytex' manufacturing plant in Manchester where the hairproducing cells are extracted and nurtured for three weeks before being returned to the clinic to be injected into the patient's scalp.

Early trials have proved successful, with further ones planned for next year in the UK and US.

The latest investment comes from existing shareholders, Cambridge- based Avlar BioVentures, 3i, Cambridge Gateway Partnership, plus Sir Chris Evans' Merlin Biosciences, NIF Ventures, and Scottish Equity Partners.

Nick Higgins, Intercytx ceo, said: "We are extremely pleased to have raised this considerable sum and are fortunate to have such committed and supportive investors."

The money will be used to complete late-stage trials of the wound care product, take the hair regeneration product through laterstage clinical trails, and to move the living skin replacement programme into clinical trails.

Intercytex has also announced two new board appointments, Alan Suggett, formerly group director with Smith & Nephew, and John Aston, cfo at Cambridge Antibody Technology.

So does this mean that Intercytex has a working version of HM that should be available much sooner than 2009 to the public???

matt_1_

Reaction score
Soon....I hope...

I have only one question, does their procedure is mixed with a transplant? Doesn't look like it... and if it's the case, that's even better news...

Fallout Boy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
HairyPotter said:
chew said:

So does this mean that Intercytex has a working version of HM that should be available much sooner than 2009 to the public???

No they still have to go through FDA trials. But thats awesome news about the funding. Atleast money shouldnt be a problem for them.

elguapo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think in the interview Washenik said that the procedure is in a sense mixed with the transplant. He was saying that they were going to do transplant (like FUE) for the hair line region, and then injections or HM behind for thickness. At least that was what I heard, but it's been a week or two since I listened to the lengthy interview, which is no longer online?

But again, I think he also said there are 3 locations working in collaboration, and Intercytex, nor any location in the UK, was mentioned. So this leads me to believe they are working separately. Though he also spoke for the technology in general, sort of implying that he knew where everybody stands on the technology. But I"m sure he doesn't know everything.

I thought he said that in 2009 we can only anticipate a modest multiplication factor, just a little more than 1-to-1 which is what we have now (ideally). I think he said the best they hope to do is fill in 1 inch of/toward the hairline, so nothing like a full head of hair. Not for the first round. But who knows, that might change.

Let me know if others agree or disagree with what I think was said in the interview. Is there a written transcription of hte interview anywhere online?

chew

Established Member
Reaction score
my personal hope is some of them are farther along than they are letting on...and i hope the $$ is coming in for them in large enough quantaties to keep it rolling.

as far as does it mean there is a working version...not being through the trials doesn't necessarily mean there is not a working version yet, but it does mean that that version will not be available for a while.

stuce

Reaction score
Why FDA Approval?

If they get this working in Europe why wait 5-8 years for FDA approval? I'll be happy to add a round trip ticket to London to the price of the procedure. The FDA in the US takes way too long to approve new proceudres.

Fallout Boy

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Re: Why FDA Approval?

stuce said:
If they get this working in Europe why wait 5-8 years for FDA approval? I'll be happy to add a round trip ticket to London to the price of the procedure. The FDA in the US takes way too long to approve new proceudres.

what if it worked but you only lived for 4 more years after the procedure was done...would you still want to skip over FDA approval and fly to Europe to get it done? Maybe it gives people brain tumors which wouldnt be cool. The safety factor cant be overlooked

elguapo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Not to minimize cancer of the skin vs. cancer of the brain or any other form of a more "internal" cancer, but let's say injecting stem cells into the follicles does result in skin cancer 5 or 10 years later. 1) Is it even possible for the cancer to migrate to the brain or other organs? 2) If it just causes skin cancer, can't you do a simple test like you do for testicular cancer to monitor it, and remove it with relative ease if you do find an abnormal growth? Or wouldn't it manifest itself in the skin as a node, like testicular cancer?

chewbaca

Experienced Member
Reaction score
If it is a one to one exchange of hair, i dont see see any possiblity of a cancer developing

elguapo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I thought what Intercytex was developing was a process in which stem cells were extracted and cultured (multiplied, I assume), and then injected into the bald areas of the scalp to induce regrowth. I'm pretty sure this is right, though I could be wrong.

I think it is on their website. Search for Intercytex and then at the top there should be a technical sheet option or something like that which explains the procedure. Or actually I think the article of this thread implies this as well.

That's not to say the question isn't dumb. =) Just curious to know if skin cancer can result in internal cancer. I know melanoma can kill, so I guess it must be able to, right?