HerAlopecia's Story

G

Hey all ---

I recall many memories of my thick, long hair. During my sophomore year of college, my family and I started noticing that my hair started thinning a lot. In June of 2002, when I was 18, I went to my dermatologist who diagnosed me with androgenetic alopecia and told me that it was just a genetic condition. In October of 2002, I started the Ortho Evra birth control patch, and I had no clue that birth control could possibly cause hair loss. From October 2002 to August of 2003, the volume of my hair decreased dramatically, I was losing a lot and my scalp was showing, especially around the top and part-line. A little unusual for a 19 year old.

Around Spring and early summer of 2003 I went to another two doctors who also diagnosed Androgenetic Alopecia, and was sent home with a prescription of Spironolactone and Rogaine. In early August I saw an endocrinologist, stopped the birth control and spironolactone and got the suggested blood tests. Everything was within normal range and answers to my hair loss were still not showing up. I finally had my iron and ferritin levels checked in late September, and it turns out I was anemic.

I started Rogaine and incorporated several vitamins and minerals into my daily regimen. Within 4 months, I was pleasantly surprised in the drop in daily hair shedding and began seeing new hairs sprouting all along my scalp. I am hoping I can continue this regrowth, while sharing information and participating in discussions with others.

Laura :)

G

My Regimen

I will also include my daily regimen:

2% Minoxidil, morning
Tricomin spray
Daily maximum multi-vitamin
B-Complex vitamin x 2
Biotin 500 mcg x 2
Evening Primrose Oil 1000 mg x 2
Freshly ground Flax Seeds 2 - 4 tablespoons
Iron (Ferrous Fumarate) 50 mg x 2
L-Lysine 1000 mg x 2
MSM 1000 mg x 2
Niacinamide/B-3 100 mg x 2
Pantothenic Acid/B-5 250 mg x 2
Silica 50 mg x 2
Vitamin C
Calcium
5% Minoxidil, night
Once a week hot oil treatment

:)

giggsy

Established Member
Reaction score
--

Laura,

Keep us posted on your progress. Every single person in here (male and female) need to hear positive results, because the 'success stories' dont seem to come back and post alot.

Cheers

Rozzy252

Established Member
Reaction score
Amen Laura,
its sooo nice to see a positive outcome. You'll have to keep us all posted on your regrowth. :)
take care,
Rozzy

G

Thanks Giggsy & Rozzy for the kind words!

Unfortunately, if you read my post on the general discussion forum, this other derm told me that my regrowth was actually miniaturization :(

Man, the sheer irony!

I am hoping though that not all of them are miniaturized hairs. Some I can now tell as yes, thinner and lighter in color and shorter as miniaturization, but then again I DO see some hairs coming in as thick and dark, like the rest of my "regular" hairs.

Lets hope that everybody can have success! This has only made me more determined to treat this as aggressively as possible.

Laura

Hopeful15

Reaction score
To Laura

I do not know how to post. I try to and it tells me that my user thing is already in use. I am using it. What else do I do to post? I am trying to get information on why my doctor put me on birth control pills to help with my hair loss when everybody on the internet says that that is when their hair started falling out. Idon't understand and I can't seem to get any answers even from the doctors. Thanks

colline

Reaction score
Dermatologist who is also losing her hair said there is nothing i can do - i have had lucious locks till around 16 then it got less and now at 30 i have a lovely shingy middle parting which everyone stares at and pictures are an embarrassment to me.

I have spent money on trichologists like the hair clinic who gave me biotin to help things but i cant tell if it did or not the dematologist says that trichologists are not good - any ideas? all tests done i am healthy so no worries there but no idea why no hair - any suggestions i have so many down days about this now i need a solution.

janetmc

Reaction score
So much info who do you believe

I went to a research study, and the doctor I found out is supposed to one of the top in the alopecia field. I was feeling down about my situation, because all my hair fell out and she said will much confidence to me, "In many case of alopecia areata and universitis, years later the hair re grows again." This was before I found out she is very repsected in the field (don't want to say her name because I don't know if that's allowable), at first I thought she was just saying it to make me feel better, but I've been told this doctor really knows the disease. And when I first got this my first dermo docter said she also had a patient, completely bald for a years and then her hair grew back completely....the worst part for me, always in the back of my mind is will I be one of those lucky ones....I've had it for 6 years and every morning when I get up and put on that wig, I still hate it, can't stand to look at myself. Inadventedly, even though I promised myself I would let it change my whole outlook on myself, it has...I don't dress the same, or take care of my appearance like I used to....I can't get that self confidence back....Someone give me hope, let me know if you've lost all your hair at one point and then had it after some time, grow back...I need to hear that .....

shortbrown

Reaction score
andro alopecia

I'm 39 and have andro alopecia. Saw a dermatologist and endocrinologist. Didn't want to take prescribed Aldactone because of tumor risk.

Just started Tricomin after reading about it on this site.

Does dying hair cause hair loss?