Help with sudden thinning on the crown with burning and itching

burning

Reaction score
Here is my story. I am 42 years old. I grew up with very thick hair, so thick the barber would comment on it, saying it clogged his clippers. On my father's side of the family, all 3 of my uncles have very thick hair and they are in the 50s and 60s. On my mother's side her brother has balding on his vertex, but not sure if my grandfather had any balding, as he kept his hair a very close buzz cut. When I turned about 30 or 31 I noticed some thinning on my crown, but that's all it was, and I reacted pretty badly. It has stayed the same for many years.

But I'd say the last 4 years, I've had my eye on my the crown of my head, because I've noticed more thinning, that was probably only noticeable to me, because, you know, I know myself better than anyone. So I started researching on vitamins and foods good for your hair. I have been taking these vitamins for 4 years and added more about 2 years ago: PABA 500mg, niacin 250mg, vitamin C 1000mg, vitamin E 400 IU, B12 500mcg, Pantothenic Acid 250mg, B6 100mg and for a while Folic Acid 100mg.

I also have started to eat really healthy in the last few years. As many whole foods as possible. I get plenty of physical exercise and go for walks. I've always been prone to depression and this spring I started taking Methylfolate 5-MTHF 10mg. I've noticed this year my hair changing a bit, but didn't feel too alarmed yet. I must also mention at the time I started taking all the vitamins and researching on options of what to do with my hair thinning, I read an article, which you can still find online, that says to help with circulation in your scalp to end your shower by running hot then cold water over your head and repeat this 3-4 times. I also read an article that shampoo was a scam by the industry to make you buy more of their product and that it's better for your hair to not wash it so frequently. So at this time, I started washing my hair like once a week, sometimes every two weeks, and my hair looked better than it had in a very long time. I've done this about 4 years now.

About 3 weeks ago, I took a trip to visit a relative and had a picture taken of me where you could see the back of my head and it alarmed me. At this time I also noticed that my scalp on the left side of my crown felt like it was burning. I thought maybe this was psychosomatic, and that I was reading into things and over-reacting. But when I got home and looked in the mirror, I noticed just how much of a problem my hair thinning was. My scalp really felt like it was burning and it was somewhat itchy. I started to panic and was trying to look for a dermatologist.

I must say at this point, I realized that I had another health concern, and thought the two may be related. I realized I was having a prostate issue of some kind, so I want to my doctor and she took a urine and blood samples to see if I am having issues with my prostate or thyroid. Her advice was to not drink caffeine for two weeks and see if I notice anything. I did more research and read about Saw Palmetto. So right away I went out and bought some and noticed day by day, huge strides in improvements regarding my condition with my prostate. It's been a little over 2 weeks with the saw palmetto all of this issues with my prostate that I was complaining to her about have pretty much gone away.

Consoling with a friend about 2 weeks ago about my fears, I told her about my thinning hair, and she told me when her hair was thinning, that she started taking trace minerals, so I sent for a bottle of that. I was researching hair loss issues and prostate issues at the same time and noticed that saw palmetto is used for both, but I really need it for my prostate issues. To deal with my hair loss issues, and from my research, I have added the following to help: trace minerals, biotin 5000mcg, Nizoral shampoo (used 2x so far), and Pura d'or argan oil shampoo.

One thing I am wondering about is if the methylfolate is the source of my problems. Why am I suddenly experience a burning scalp? My friend said that it looked rather red when I showed it to her. I have feared losing my hair for 10 years now, and thought I had it under control with what I was doing and now this seems so sudden. I thought maybe the hot/cold water in the shower may have been the issue because a couple of times the water in the shower was way too hot and felt like I burned my scalp, but I don't know -- I 've stopped doing that for 3 weeks now.

I know this is rather long, but I wanted to give as much background and insight to my problem as I could. I have included 3 pictures. In the 3rd, I moved my hair around in the back and it doesn't look as bad as in the first 2.

My scalp felt like it was burning again today, so I just washed my hair again with Nizoral. I would like to see a dermatologist, but am having problems finding one in my area.

Attachments

• DSC05945.jpg
    DSC05945.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 4,670
  • DSC05947.jpg
    DSC05947.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 14,981
  • DSC05961.jpg
    DSC05961.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 5,096

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hi I have had buring sensation on my scalp along with a sharp pain that feels like a sharp pin is pushed into my scalp from time to time. I've tried almost everything but failed to address the issues. but it doesn't mean that you will too. so here are things I've tried. washing hair with an orgainc conditioner with no harsh chemicals in it (not a shampoo). taking probiotics. applying Emu or Coconut oil to your scalp every other day. lowering daily sugar intake. just off the top of my head....

burning

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for responding.

So you say to wash the hair with an organic conditioner. Do you mean to use it on a day that I don't use shampoo? Would you recommend
this one: http://www.amazon.com/Biotin-Comple...ner-Ounces/dp/B00004TMFE/ref=pd_bxgy_bt_img_y

What type of probiotics do you suggest taking? I know they have things like probiotic yogurt and so forth, but not quite sure exactly what you mean.

And when you say to apply Emu or Coconut oil everyday, is it safe to leave it in, or do you have to wash it out? I don't have Emu oil, but was reading about it.
As far as the coconut oil, I have some organic virgin coconut oil, which I tried about a week ago. I just tried to work some into my scalp at the back of my
head and lost at least 4 hairs doing so. It scares me because the hairs look good and they have a white bulbous end to them. I really don't want to lose anymore hair back there.

By lowering daily sugar intake, I should probably avoid ice cream at night, etc.?

This is all really scaring me because it is happening so quickly. I don't know if you read my entire post, but I used to not wash my hair very often. I would just rinse it with water and use shampoo maybe once a week or every two weeks. It seemed to help me keep the hair I had. Now it seems like every time I touch my scalp something is falling out.

burning

Reaction score
Was hoping for a follow up response.

I will tell you that I tried the coconut oil, and it did seem to put the "fire" out on the affected area of my scalp that night. It seems to be acting up again today.
I am going to send away for some emu oil as well, to see if that may also help.

Very interested in your response to my other questions as well.

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hi sorry didnt' see your post before.

1)So you say to wash the hair with an organic conditioner. Do you mean to use it on a day that I don't use shampoo? Would you recommend
this one: http://www.amazon.com/Biotin-Comple...ner-Ounces/dp/B00004TMFE/ref=pd_bxgy_bt_img_y

- use a conditioner only (do NOT use a shampoo at all). Shampoo can be harsh and too dry on the scalp. The conditioner in the link provided looks good and has good natural ingredients.

2) What type of probiotics do you suggest taking? I know they have things like probiotic yogurt and so forth, but not quite sure exactly what you mean.

-yes yogurt is a good source of probiotics. Google 'probiotic supplements'

3) And when you say to apply Emu or Coconut oil everyday, is it safe to leave it in, or do you have to wash it out?

- It doesn't have to be everyday. It could be every second day or once a week, just apply it gently to your scalp and leave it on for 3 to 4 hours and wash it out. Hair you are losing while applying oils are ones that are going to fall out anyway. so don't be scared.

4)By lowering daily sugar intake, I should probably avoid ice cream at night, etc.?

-I am just guessing here. By the look of your scalp, it looks inflammed and I guess it might have something to do with dermatitis which has a lot to do with fungal and yeast infection and it thrives on sugar.

I am no expert by any means and you should see a dermatologist. Cheers.

burning

Reaction score
Thanks for your response.

It definitley feels inflammed. I tried using Nizoral last night, and that probably dries my scalp out more. It seems I am removing
more hair than sebum.

I tried the coconut oil as you suggested and that did seem to help the night I tried it. I tried olive oil last night for a little over an hour
and that seemed to make it feel better and then I followed that with washing my scalp and hair with nizoral. But today, once again,
I feel the burning sensation on my scalp. I am really, really hoping this has something to do with dermatitis and not male pattern baldness. Do you think
if it was dermatitis that that would cause the hair to fall out? And would that be temporary and the hair grow back once I get treated for it?
It's thinning out so quickly.

I've been contemplating trying minoxidil, but don't think I should until I have this checked out by a dermatologist to figure out exactly
what is going on.

I had a relative and a friend say to me this past month that, since I am in my 40s, I am probably in the clear as far as losing my hair is
concerned, but this is happening too quickly and is causing concern.

I will try the conditioner for now as you suggest and look into probiotic supplements. And what about
fruits and vegetables? Those have plenty of sugar. Or is that safe? I eat a lot apples, bananas and other fruit.

When you say wash it the emu oil or coconut oil, do you mean with shampoo or just rinse your hair out with water?

I have scheduled an appointment with a GP and will hopefully get an appointment with a determatologist shortly.

Thanks again.

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hi if your hair loss is related/linked to some medical conditions or inflammation caused by dermmatitis other than MBP, it will all grow back eventually. Regarding sugar intake and fruits, I have read that you should avoid citrus fruits (that is if you have dermatitis). Rinse your hair with warm water first then apply the oil to your scalp gently and leave it on for a few hours then wash it out with a conditioner. Again, I am no expert and your doctor will be able to tell you what's going on! Cheers!

anonymous

Established Member
Reaction score
This might sound silly, but it can happen. But is your scalp burning persisting? Are you sure you didn't have some sunburn on your scalp?

burning

Reaction score
I thought I responded to this, but maybe it didn't submit properly.

The burning has been persisting for a few weeks. I wasn't really outdoors in blaring sunlight at all. I wear a hat the few times I am outside working or something. And it is fall here and the sun is weaker etc. No, it's burning persistently. In the beginning there was some itching, and then it was burning.

I would like to say that I have been taking saw palmetto for a prostate problem that I didn't realize I had until I did research on it and figured out what was going on. I consulted my doctor about it and he said to try and eliminate caffeine and chocolate for a couple of weeks to see if that helped. I did more research and found out about saw palmetto and I have noticed my problems go away after a week of taking it 3x daily.

I have been reading online about how saw palmetto is effective as a DHT inhibitor and it is used topically and internally by some. But i have been reading some saying that it taking internally is not a good idea and makes things worse. So there is a lot of contradictory information out there. I really need the saw palmetto to help with my prostate problems, but I don't want all my hair to fall out because of it.

What should I believe?

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
talk to your doctor!!!!

Myaccount

My Regimen
Reaction score
What happened in the end because I have recently noticed a thinning crown with a lot of itching