He is only 20 and bald already !

PappinAce

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Wearing glasses and being attractive are tow mutually exclusive things. Have you ever seen the lead of a romantic movie wearing glasses?

So you're trying to live up to the standards set by Hollywood. That explains a lot about your constantly negative attitude

FWIW

Established Member
Reaction score
You should not say "it is". You should say "to me, it is". Because virtually no human being would agree with you that hair loss is as bad as death.

Same applies to you- you also didnt say "to me, there are worse things than hairloss", you said or meant- "there are worse things"in general.

And yet, me and Fred are telling you, or atleast I think Fred agrees with me, that hairloss is equal or same- to diseases that may kill you. What is important- both of us have had very severe hairloss at a very early age. So here you have us to- beying nw5s that are teling you this. You have your opinion about that matter as nw2- you see the world as nw2 I see the world as nw5. And believe me, it is huge difference- because I was also nw2 once- and I know how it was- but you dont know how nw5 world is...

I agree with you saying that one should say "to me"- ok, but original post on which I reacted wasnt saying that- it was saying generally.

So I would conclude it : you are absolutely right with you claims for people with just little to moderate hairloss at appropriate rate compared to their age.

But for very agressive hairloss sufferers at very young age- I persist on my point of view as I have my real life experience and as I see Freds experience- its not just my imagination. I am sure that someone in similar situation would agree with me and Fred- unfortunately- there are very very few high nws at young age even here. Maybe user Exodus and Dannyboy( he probably wouldnt agree, but I think he is incell in denial)

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I do not for a second deny that hair loss can cause social stigma, depression, anxiety, miserable feelings. No doubt it can be a horrible experience. But dude... it's not death. Social stigma is not illness and death, it's social stigma. And there are many people losing hair or with shaved heads who are OK. There's no one who is dead who is OK.

Ajaxx

Reaction score
I can sympathize with you Fred.

I'm 22 and I've only had mild recession (so mild that no one would know looking at me, not even anyone here because of the length of my hair) but even that mild recession was enough to drive me crazy and paranoid of how much I'll lose by 30, count shed hairs and feel like my youth was coming to an end.

So I can't even begin to imagine what dealing with going bald at 19 is like, honestly you're a pretty strong person to have not done anything drastic. I probably would have.

Ziggy Stardust

Reaction score
I'm 25, I was already "horseshoe" bald at 18, started losing my hair at around 14 I guess.

I was average looking with hair, I am ugly without it. It's irrelevant to me if there are a few handsome bald men, I'm not one of them. Having hair doesn't make you George Clooney either. At least ugly people with hair can get a trendy haircut and look different, I can't. Can't grow a proper beard either, and I have 20/20 vision, lol.

The amount of ridicule and patronising comments I copped as a teen was pretty intense, and most of it wasn't even malicious. I wasn't the most socially confident kid before I went bald. It was a huge blow to my self esteem when it started, and I got very depressed and anxious about it. I used to consider a "good day" at school one where someone didn't make some remark about my baldness that made me feel worthless. Had a death in the family around this time as well, and naturally people ascribed my depression to that (because it's socially unacceptable for a man to get upset over baldness), but the hairloss affected me just as much if not more. I ended up dropping out of school. I went back and finished it later as an adult.

I was at a university event the other day where there were some ex students speaking about their career experience. One of the organisers mistook me for one of these ex students, which would make me about 40 years old, and I'm 25. Was at a bar last night, and there was a drunk guy who insisted on rubbing my head and kept miming hitting a pool cue at me, charming. I also get, "You look like [insert random bald celebrity here]" a fair bit. This kind of stuff doesn't bother me as much as it used to, but it doesn't do much for the confidence either.

I also feel like there should be a term like "hairsplaining", for all the patronising crap people say to us young bald men. The "it could be worse" spiel is a classic example.

I care less about my appearance as I get older, but I'm still aware that I'm ugly and look 10-15 years older than I am.

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
It's just hair, they say that so casually, but if it happened to them, they would have gone insane, even guys like yetti patronizing us here, they would never have survived a horseshoe at 18.

You know, I have no problem at all with what Ziggy wrote. None. It makes a whole lot of sense. So you shouldn't say "us"... and anyway I don't think I'm patronizing, at all.

You make statements like... if you are bald "Your girlfriend just won't truly love you." You can feel however you want to feel, but a statement like this I think is fair to talk about. It's a statement as much about women as it is about baldness, and I think it's fair to disagree with it or discuss it.

You said "I like to think they feel more comfortable telling the truth because of people like me" and I don't disagree with that. And I don't doubt for a second that it's very tough, especially at a young age. But when you start talking about death being a peaceful alternative to baldness, or that if you are bald you'll not be loved, I wonder if that's helpful. That's all.

DontWant2BeBald

Established Member
Reaction score
Death is more peaceful, there's no suffering in death.

For the hundredth time, there are not many people losing their heads who are OK in their f-ing teens!

And the extremely rare people who do are definitely not OK!

I've heard that BS so many times. "You see that guy, he doesn't care?" "Oh yeah? That guy is in his late 30's for god sake!"

Show me a 20 year old NW5 who doesn't care.

I mean, even starting losing your hair 26 is not a walk in the park, but at least by that age, you'll have accomplished a lot of things in life, and lived a normal youth if you don't other problems.

But imagine being nearly bald at 19 (before the minoxidil gave me two extra years), starting thinning at 16, your life hasn't even begun.

Well hairloss is IMO defineirtly not as bad as death, I started balding at 16 also. But I have to say its pretty close, way worse than diabetes, not as bad as cancer but at least if you have cancer people care and theres millions of dollars of funding which has resulted in pretty good treatment with a good probability you will survive.

The worst thing about hairloss is how no one seems to care or understand how bad it is and just wants you to embrace it. If every guy suffering from hairloss pitched in 5 dollars a month can you imagine how much more funding we would have. We should be encouraging people to co me forward and say that this is not ok and we desperately want a cure instead of telling them to deal with it

EvilLocks

Reaction score
I like to think they feel more comfortable telling the truth because of people like me or uncomfortable man.

God, I miss uncomfortable man on the forums. He was/is one of my favorite members and someone I could truly relate to (you too, Fred). Other than that I agree with everything Fred has said on this thread. Being bald and young (and female in my case) is truly among the most horrific experiences you could ever go through. It forever puts you at a disadvantage in everything you do. You'll always feel (and be) inferior to the privileged fullheads (to quote hellouser). You'll always have to face mockery (at least men) and pity (for us women).

- - - Updated - - -

Well hairloss is IMO defineirtly not as bad as death
I kind of disagree. The sweet relief of death seems tempting to me, but I don't REALLY want to die either. I just don't want to live my life as bald. This was not how my life was supposed to turn out, at all. Although I'm a bit better now that I am on the right medication (for my depression). I'm not as suicidal as before, but I still think baldness is among the most horrific things that could possibly have happened to me. And yes, sometimes I even think it's worse than death (but maybe I would feel differently if I was actually dying)...

DontWant2BeBald

Established Member
Reaction score
God, I miss uncomfortable man on the forums. He was/is one of my favorite members and someone I could truly relate to (you too, Fred). Other than that I agree with everything Fred has said on this thread. Being bald and young (and female in my case) is truly among the most horrific experiences you could ever go through. It forever puts you at a disadvantage in everything you do. You'll always feel (and be) inferior to the privileged fullheads (to quote hellouser). You'll always have to face mockery (at least men) and pity (for us women).

- - - Updated - - -

I kind of disagree. The sweet relief of death seems tempting to me, but I don't REALLY want to die either. I just don't want to live my life as bald. This was not how my life was supposed to turn out, at all. Although I'm a bit better now that I am on the right medication (for my depression). I'm not as suicidal as before, but I still think baldness is among the most horrific things that could possibly have happened to me. And yes, sometimes I even think it's worse than death (but maybe I would feel differently if I was actually dying)...

Look no matter how bad a situation is, if there is hope that it will get better than it is better than death. You still have many medications left that you could try and thus many other options. In the future you never know maybe a cure would be released whereas with death its all over. Stop complaining about how terrible hairloss is on this forum, it has already been established. Focus more on what you can do to help your situation.

I wish you had your own thread with pictures tho, I believe when you say you are losing hair but I just cannot imagine how much you have lost and thus have no mental image of it. You should really summon up the courage to make a thread and start uploading progress pictures, trying to better your situation. For all you know maybe your situation is no so terrible. Besides no one on this forum is better than anybody else so no one will judge you. Best of luck to you anyhow

EvilLocks

Reaction score
Look no matter how bad a situation is, if there is hope that it will get better than it is better than death. You still have many medications left that you could try and thus many other options. In the future you never know maybe a cure would be released whereas with death its all over. Stop complaining about how terrible hairloss is on this forum, it has already been established. Focus more on what you can do to help your situation.

I wish you had your own thread with pictures tho, I believe when you say you are losing hair but I just cannot imagine how much you have lost and thus have no mental image of it. You should really summon up the courage to make a thread and start uploading progress pictures, trying to better your situation. For all you know maybe your situation is no so terrible. Besides no one on this forum is better than anybody else so no one will judge you. Best of luck to you anyhow

What medications? I have already tired minoxidil, spironolactone, finasteride, birth control pills and a range of natural supplements, and neither helped me. If I could get my hands on dutasteride I would try it, but I have been unable to. It will not get better, no, it will only continue to get worse -- I have Androgenetic Alopecia after all.

I'm not complaining, just telling it like it is. There is no need to sugarcoat the reality about how bad baldness is -- and people need to hear it. Focus on what I can do? What can I do then? I've already tried everything, there is nowhere to turn for me now -- except putting on a wig, which is hardly a solution.

No, I'm not going to make a thread with pictures. Also, there would be no point in me doing so, as I'm no longer on any treatments, so it would be pointless making a thread about it when I can't track my "progress" (as there is none). Pictures would merely be for those who are curious about what my hair looks like, and I'd rather keep my hair (or the lack thereof) to myself, thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Show me a 20 year old NW5 who doesn't care.

When I was admitted to the mental hospital there was another patient who looked to be my age. I noticed that he always wore a turban, but he wasn't a muslim (he was white). He never took of his turban the entire time I stayed there (well probably just to sleep, when nobody was watching). Later I googled his name and found his facebook profile -- and law and behold, the guy was a full blown NW7. It made me wonder if baldness landed him in the mental hospital like it did with me. Hell, I'm actually pretty sure that is exactly why he was there.

DontWant2BeBald

Established Member
Reaction score
What medications? I have already tired minoxidil, spironolactone, finasteride, birth control pills and a range of natural supplements, and neither helped me. If I could get my hands on dutasteride I would try it, but I have been unable to. It will not get better, no, it will only continue to get worse -- I have Androgenetic Alopecia after all.

I'm not complaining, just telling it like it is. There is no need to sugarcoat the reality about how bad baldness is -- and people need to hear it. Focus on what I can do? What can I do then? I've already tried everything, there is nowhere to turn for me now -- except putting on a wig, which is hardly a solution.

No, I'm not going to make a thread with pictures. Also, there would be no point in me doing so, as I'm no longer on any treatments, so it would be pointless making a thread about it when I can't track my "progress" (as there is none). Pictures would merely be for those who are curious about what my hair looks like, and I'd rather keep my hair (or the lack thereof) to myself, thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

When I was admitted to the mental hospital there was another patient who looked to be my age. I noticed that he always wore a turban, but he wasn't a muslim (he was white). He never took of his turban the entire time I stayed there (well probably just to sleep, when nobody was watching). Later I googled his name and found his facebook profile -- and law and behold, the guy was a full blown NW7. It made me wonder if baldness landed him in the mental hospital like it did with me. Hell, I'm actually pretty sure that is exactly why he was there.

There is still flutamide, bicalutamide, estrogen that you can apply topically, can try seti in the future along with pge2 and wounding, and all the other new things that are coming out. Don't be so cynical you still haven't tried everything, and on a faceless picture there is no drawbacks to posting in a forum.
You said that you are not on any treatments, thats too bad. You shouldn't give up

EvilLocks

Reaction score
There is still flutamide, bicalutamide, estrogen that you can apply topically, can try seti in the future along with pge2 and wounding, and all the other new things that are coming out. Don't be so cynical you still haven't tried everything, and on a faceless picture there is no drawbacks to posting in a forum.
You said that you are not on any treatments, thats too bad. You shouldn't give up

I didn't give up, I simply realized that I spent hundreds of dollars on stuff that didn't work. And don't say I didn't try; I gave all my treatments approx 2 years to work, and I took them consistently. Why should I spend so much money on stuff that didn't give any results? That would simply be stupid.

- - - Updated - - -

My doctor would never prescribe me flutamide or estrogen, and those other things I have never heard of. It's not that easy. And don't say I can order online -- I already tried that.

DontWant2BeBald

Established Member
Reaction score
I didn't give up, I simply realized that I spent hundreds of dollars on stuff that didn't work. And don't say I didn't try; I gave all my treatments approx 2 years to work, and I took them consistently. Why should I spend so much money on stuff that didn't give any results? That would simply be stupid.

- - - Updated - - -

My doctor would never prescribe me flutamide or estrogen, and those other things I have never heard of. It's not that easy. And don't say I can order online -- I already tried that.

so you are losing hair now at the same rate that you were while you were on treatments? Or are you completely bald and have nothing left to lose?

EvilLocks

Reaction score
so you are losing hair now at the same rate that you were while you were on treatments? Or are you completely bald and have nothing left to lose?

I am losing hair at about the same rate as while on treatments, and I've been off treatments for approx 4-5 months now. My hair has gotten worse since stopping treatment but it would have become worse anyway, and it's not thinning any faster now than when I was on treatments. I'm not completely bald of course -- women rarely become completely bald by Androgenetic Alopecia. But I have very diffuse thinning with a "see through" look, which is a huge contrast to the Selena Gomez hair I had before. I also have a wide part.

Fena2000

Established Member
Reaction score
Well hairloss is IMO defineirtly not as bad as death, I started balding at 16 also. But I have to say its pretty close, way worse than diabetes, not as bad as cancer but at least if you have cancer people care and theres millions of dollars of funding which has resulted in pretty good treatment with a good probability you will survive.

The worst thing about hairloss is how no one seems to care or understand how bad it is and just wants you to embrace it. If every guy suffering from hairloss pi
tched in 5 dollars a month can you imagine how much more funding we would have. We should be encouraging people to co me forward and say that this is not ok and we desperately want a cure instead of telling them to deal with it

The worst thing about hairloss is the ongoing process of going bald. You just see your hair falling out and thinning on your head little by little. Every day you check in the mirror and see I getting worse and you don't know where or when it's going to stop. If your hair just fell out overnight and that's where it would stop, it still would be very painful but at least you know the whole process of balding is finished, it wouldn't get any worse then it is. Mentally you could heal from that point on, but with Androgenetic Alopecia one day you think : ah , it's not that bad! Then the next day you lose more hair and hup, you start sobbing again. It's really frustrating.

Just like Evillocks I've tried everything, nothing works. I'm still using minoxidil but I dont see any improvements at all. My scalp is really visible through my hair, if I look at the back of my hair i can see a cowlick and my part is wide. I don't feel like a woman any more. I try to stay optimistic, but every time I'm talking to people and I notice they are looking at my hair, I just lose that optimistic attitude.

EvilLocks

Reaction score
Agreed, Fena. Living with the fact that your hair is going to keep getting worse and worse is extremely difficult.

Marky

My Regimen
Reaction score
Why does everything have to be helpful? The fact that there is nothing really positive to say about hair loss is the reason men who suffer from it are so desperate.

Anything helpful will be a white lie unfortunately. Being bald in your early 20's just sucks, and there is no bright side, except maybe maturing faster than your peers.

Of course you would be as mature as a man in his late 40's, you already look like one.

I've never thought about really killing myself, I took all the suffering and survived this crap, but some moments felt extremely hopeless and painful.

About women, I don't blame them, that's how they were built. They reward the tall, handsome, or at least normal-looking men with love.

Not men with extreme defects. If you have no hair in your 20's, if you're 5'6, if you have an ugly face, no woman will ever truly love you.

Baldness in your 20's is an extreme defect, and it is a rarity, you don't meet 22 year old bald men everyday, or even once a year.

Look at movies, romance novels, any fictional romance designed to appeal to women, the male character is never bald, or short, or ugly.

A man who is bald, ugly or short, or god forbid, the three at the same time can gain status and money to find a woman.

But then again, if he has to do that to please a woman, she will never feel love for him.

---------------------------
Fred do you still have that pic of the really old fat dude with the young babe. I've been trying to find it on the net but couldn't - would you mind posting again. Thx