Having a wig made out of my own hair- is it plausible?

Mabe

Reaction score
Hi guys- I'm not in need of a wig/hair transplant yet as I'm in the early stages of male pattern baldness, but I'm always weary of what will happen later down the road (I'm only 20 right now, so a long time to go for my male pattern baldness to progress).

I've been looking into wigs and I'm planning on wearing a front partial for when my hair begins to recede even worse. But my main concern is that my hair color is a pretty unique shade of red/orange, and I find it'll be difficult to match my hair color with a wig. My hair right now is extremely long and I've been meaning to cut it short soon, so I was wondering if preserving the hair to have a wig made out of it is at all plausible/realistically possible.

beemark

Reaction score
It's not really practical for several reasons. A good factory can match any hair color, no matter how unusual it is. Also, even if you cut off all your hair, after the factory removes the shorter hairs that are unusable, they will still need to add more hair to the unit. Also, the supplied hair needs to be at least 10" long - the factories won't work with shorter hair.

ToupMaster

Established Member
Reaction score
Save it for sending in for color samples....

The factory loves getting a nice chunk for a sample rather than the little wisps most people send them.