Has anyone tried personally applying a hair system?

JamesKennedy

Reaction score
It seems there are two types of psychology when it comes to wearing hair.

1. You lock into a contract and go to a hair system salon and have them reapply every 2-4 weeks.

2. You buy a hair system and do the work yourself.

Does anybody do the work themselves? I'm not talking about wearing a simple hair piece, or wearing something that clips into existing hair. I'm talking about an actual glue bonded hairpiece with skin or lace that you attach to your scalp.

I'm thinking of switching over to this eventually. I feel very much a slave to my hair studio, and it seems like I can't consider moving or going away for any lengthy amount of time because I have to have service every 2 weeks.

Any suggestions or input?

MichiganBaldy

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes you can do this yourself, despite the fact that the salons and clubs tell everyone that only a trained professional can do it.
I know hundreds of men and women who do buy their hair online for a fraction of the cost and do all their own maintenance at home.
If you send me an e-mail I`ll give you the link j.wl@verizon.net

jake1980

Established Member
Reaction score
i use to go to a salon . but then i found toplace and i brought MB dvd i do it my self now and its the best thing i have every done....

JamesKennedy

Reaction score
Yes

I look forward to working with you guys!

I'm watching the MB Video right now. Its very informative and basically word for word what I've gone through in my hair loss research.

The hair piece I have from the salon I go to looks really good, but the cost and the fact that I'm roped into 2 hours every 2 weeks drives me nuts. I really want to be independent and do it myself, as well as save money!

Any other info you guys have would be awesome!

jake1980

Established Member
Reaction score
james kennedy

i was paying £350 per system early this year . then i thought i do
it my self. so i got one from toplace and it cost me £105 and the system is far better then there £350 one

uncle rico

Reaction score
I have been advised that if your using a soft bond, ie tape. you need to be looking at taking the sytem off once a week - 2 weeks to clean, change tape etc. So i would say that applying the sytem yourself would be a necessity.
Taking the sytem off and reapplying it doesnt bother me, but i wouldnt consider cutting one in myself. But thats just me.

ToupMaster

Established Member
Reaction score
I see no reason a client couldn't bond and apply their own unit at home. Even thou I have encouraged several to do this, they choose not too. I have taught several tape wearers to color and clean their own units for those times when they can not get to the salon. We sell them the color and products.

Cutting in your own unit is another thing. But, I do have a couple of clients whom I only order the unit... they do everythig else including the cut-in. One even is able to revent his unit. Reventing is the adding of additional hair. Personaly, I can't revent myself, I return them to the factory, for I find most local reventers to be too crude.

MintSigh

Reaction score
JamesKennedy said:
It seems there are two types of psychology when it comes to wearing hair.

1. You lock into a contract and go to a hair system salon and have them reapply every 2-4 weeks.

2. You buy a hair system and do the work yourself.

Does anybody do the work themselves? I'm not talking about wearing a simple hair piece, or wearing something that clips into existing hair. I'm talking about an actual glue bonded hairpiece with skin or lace that you attach to your scalp.

I'm thinking of switching over to this eventually. I feel very much a slave to my hair studio, and it seems like I can't consider moving or going away for any lengthy amount of time because I have to have service every 2 weeks.

Any suggestions or input?

Go on this French topic and read/watch Enzolebel's answers, he does everything by himself. His wigs are ordered in Asia. His wigs last for about 6 months.

http://forum.doctissimo.fr/sante/calvit ... 0141-1.htm

The Gardener

Reaction score
Back when I wore a system, I actually preferred setting it myself. It took a while before I built up the nerve to do it... using a little solvent to undo the glue, redoing the tape, and then placing it on my head, etc. But, after wearing it for a few months I knew where the buckling always occured, and knew where the "trouble spots" were that would bother me later because I was the one who was wearing it. So, in setting it myself, I could place it in a way that I knew was most comfortable for me. This was also very handy to do, as between haircuts I could remove and re-set it to eliminate the inevitable buckling from underlying hair growth, which kept the surface of my scalp smooth and comfortable with no "tugging" or buckling.

MintSigh

Reaction score
Bet24 said:
MintSigh said:
Go on this French topic and read/watch Enzolebel's answers, he does everything by himself. His wigs are ordered in Asia. His wigs last for about 6 months.

http://forum.doctissimo.fr/sante/calvit ... 0141-1.htm

That guy (no offence) really look stupid with that wig....

Yeap, that's what I think too. Other new systems that are not set personally are much more natural but it's impossible to do it alone as it takes 1.5 hours and need to be stuck perfectly as the membrane is much thinner and can be torn easily. When I see the work necessary when I go for myself, I won't be able to do it.

MichiganBaldy

Established Member
Reaction score
And whats with the guy on there who calls himself Mishigan, hmmmm?
My counterpart? lol!
:p

oDD_LotS

Reaction score
In response to the original poster, yes I wear a piece and do all my own maintenance (including color my natural hair and doing my cut-ins). I tried having attachments and cuts done by several different salons at first to varying degrees of satisfaction:

1. Had local Virtual Reality salon do a bond on my skin-type hairline partial I used to wear. The glue set up bright white and never "hardened". The piece came off a few hours later.

2. Spent $50 for an attachment at a hairpiece salon in the area. Went in hoping to get the back taped or bonded and the front glued down seamlessly. This was on my all-lace regular size piece (not a partial). I spent a couple hours in the chair, only to have the stylist cover the lace in tiny boomerang shaped pieces of shiny clear tape. When applied, the tape was so thick that it was like having a plastic barrier on my head. The thickness kept the lace from disappearing, left little wrinkles in my hairline, and gave off a shine like you couldn't believe! I ended up removing the front of the piece, cutting off half of the tape "mass" that was in place (so that the tape only held the back half) and re-gluing the front myself. That ended up working out alright, since the tape she used was STRONG, though totally inappropriate for the hairline.

3. Spent about $140 for a cut and color at a very posh, upscale salon in a sizable metropolitan area. I was hoping to get bonded as well, but the nearby wig salon wouldn't do it, and no one at the upscale (regular) salon knew how. They tacked the wig in place with a bit of weave adhesive, colored my natural hair and gave me a really cool cut. The color and cut looked AMAZING, but unfortunately, I haven't been back to that particular town for a few months.

Since those experiences, I've started doing all my own bonding (I use blue tape at the back for strength and ease of application and a white glue at the hairline for an entirely undetectable hairline) and cut-ins. I have longer hair, so I don't use the Robocutter, but rather simple scissors, blending shears, and a Feather razor.

Honestly, attaching, cutting, styling, removing, cleaning, etc. a hairpiece isn't all that hard. Yeah, it takes a bit of practice to get it right, but after that it's smooth sailing (not to mention it saves TONS of money).

jake1980

Established Member
Reaction score
optimist

farrell systems are no better then coolpiece or toplace but you pay 15 times more for them .. ive seen pictures of a couple of guys who went to farrell and was not happy at all the colour didnt match and they did a crap cut. its the name your paying for.. go on line you get a better system for $200 to $300..