Has anyone managed to get a hair transplant on the NHS? (UK)

Barry_Blue

Established Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if this was possible - if you were to argue that the hairloss was making you clinically depressed/suicidal? I know they perform cosmetic operations such as pinning ears back and occasionally boob jobs for free for people that claim this. Worth a try?

s.a.f

Reaction score
Not a chance in hell !!! And anyway there's no UK surgeons that I'd have a hair transplant off even if they paid me.

Lucky_UK

Experienced Member
Reaction score
And if they did they would probably mix it up and end up transplanting your head hair onto your toes.

:freak:

Hans Gruber

Reaction score
s.a.f said:
Not a chance in hell !!! And anyway there's no UK surgeons that I'd have a hair transplant off even if they paid me.

exactly ,even if it were free there is NO WAY id ever let anyone in the uk perform hair transplant surgery on me.Of course i only realise that because of these boards

Sean68

Reaction score
i dont think you can get vanity operations on the nhs (i might be wrong) but its similar to why propecia costs £36 a month from a chemist and proscar or avodart is only £6 because propecia's classed as a vanity drug which you cant get on the nhs.

s.a.f

Reaction score

dimitar_berbagod

Established Member
Reaction score
s.a.f. (does that stand for Sir Alex Ferguson?)

Not questioning your judgment but how do you know? Surely if they were worldwide based they must be successful, and therefore have some credibility.

Their website talks about their expertise in the field and connections to senior hair transplant doctors worldwide.

Can you please elaborate...?

s.a.f

Reaction score
OK, in my years of being on these forums I've never seen a good example of a UK clinics work.
What I have seen is 100's of examples of bad work and guys having to go abroad to get repaired by decent surgeons in the US and Canada.
I myself have been a victim of 2 of the UK's clinics 1 of them (the Norton clinic) is by far the most succesfull (in terms of patient numbers) they claim to be state of the art and world class but they they are clearly not and they totally scarred me for life and wasted the donor hair that they took from me.
They have had literally 100's of complaints made against them and their clinic owner Dr Thomas Norton has been struck off and yet they still operate and advertise in the national press.
I made the mistake of assuming that all surgeons must be about the same whichever county you go to, but honestly that is not the case.
I cant explain why there is not one surgeon in the UK who can match the world class standards that they set in the US and Canada but thats just how it is. :dunno: Just as I cant explain why all the worlds best seen to be located in the US and Canada.
Not all the UK clinics are complete butchers like Norton and Nobel but even the very best that the UK has to offer is still nowhwere near as good as you can find abroad.
Do not take their (the clinics) word for it of course they will tell you they're the best.

youngnat

Reaction score
hi there, being from new zealand i had two choices for hair transplant, and chose the closest one, his name is bruce fox and hes being in this game for almost 30 years, i put my trust in him fully and know im going to get a good result in the long run... always do your research and go with experience and results as you may end up looking worse then you first went in!

I just had a hair transplant 2 days ago, will probably need another session in 6 months, i was freaking out with the whole "is this gonna be painful" thing but in all honesty it really isnt that bad, in fact id rather go back to the hair doctor then i would the dentist. Anyone who is stopping themselves from getting a hair transplant because they are scared of the "pain" thing need not worry it really isnt as bad as you think!

s.a.f

Reaction score
youngnat said:
hi there, being from new zealand i had two choices for hair transplant, and chose the closest one, his name is bruce fox and hes being in this game for almost 30 years, i put my trust in him fully and know im going to get a good result in the long run... always do your research and go with experience and results as you may end up looking worse then you first went in!

I just had a hair transplant 2 days ago, will probably need another session in 6 months, i was freaking out with the whole "is this gonna be painful" thing but in all honesty it really isnt that bad, in fact id rather go back to the hair doctor then i would the dentist. Anyone who is stopping themselves from getting a hair transplant because they are scared of the "pain" thing need not worry it really isnt as bad as you think!

I really hope your optimism is justified. :shakehead:
Firstly location should'nt come ito it I went to 2 UK clinics that had been established over 20 yrs and were supposedly state of the art. Guess what, they butchered me and ruined my head bigtime! :firing: :devil: I've never heard of this Bruce Fox guy. :dunno:
Also why do you need another session if you just had one unless your hairloss was quite excessive like nw5/6. (how big was this op)?
And its recommended to wait 18months between ops as your transplant will be only half grown out at 6months.
You dont seem to have educated yourself on this much.
:shakehead:

mammothd

Reaction score
I had my first op in Paris, and though not a perfect service, the results have been fine.

My second was in London, UK. The procedure itself was far less painful(especially the anesthetic injections) and immediate post op was better too...less bleeding.

Admittedly 5 months on I have seen little growth, but I fully expect that to sort itself out.

So, although with caution,I've found my UK surgeon to be fine.

Hans Gruber

Reaction score
i would not even consider for a SECOND going to a uk surgeon,they are butchers at worst and amateurish at best.

s.a.f

Reaction score
libertine said:
i would not even consider for a SECOND going to a uk surgeon,they are butchers at worst and amateurish at best.

I agree you've made a mistake there :shakehead: . Wether you think its a good result or not I think its fair to assume that you obviously have'nt researched this properly and seen the kind of results available by the worlds top clinics. :thumbdown2:

jared_24

Established Member
Reaction score
Barry_Blue said:
Just wondering if this was possible - if you were to argue that the hairloss was making you clinically depressed/suicidal? I know they perform cosmetic operations such as pinning ears back and occasionally boob jobs for free for people that claim this. Worth a try?

To be honest, I think it maybe possible. A very slim chance, but still a chance nevertheless. A girl I know managed to a get a tit job done on the NHS. How she managed it I have no idea (i'm guessing she insisted that her flat chest was causing major her depression etc.)

Depending on the circumstances, you can get cosmetic surgeries done on the NHS (which really makes my blood boil !!!!!)
:firing: :nono: :protest: :eek:nfire:

As stated previously though, you would have to be an absolute MORON to want to get this done on the NHS - for glaringly obvious reasons.....

Lucky_UK

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Even if hair transplant's were available on the ailing, debt riddled NHS I certainly would not take a chance with a UK clinic, I have been on these forums for a while and I have yet to see a UK transplant which is anyway near on par with the worlds best hair transplant clinics, s.a.f knows his stuff and I advise any newbie here to take his advice seriously. :agree:

global

Experienced Member
Reaction score
mammothd said:
I had my first op in Paris, and though not a perfect service, the results have been fine.

My second was in London, UK. The procedure itself was far less painful(especially the anesthetic injections) and immediate post op was better too...less bleeding.

Admittedly 5 months on I have seen little growth, but I fully expect that to sort itself out.

So, although with caution,I've found my UK surgeon to be fine.

Since you have had little growth yet how can you possibly say your UK surgeon was fine except for his ability to give you a less painful injection than your French doctor?

global

Experienced Member
Reaction score
jared_24 said:
[quote="Barry_Blue":l7udf3ry]Just wondering if this was possible - if you were to argue that the hairloss was making you clinically depressed/suicidal? I know they perform cosmetic operations such as pinning ears back and occasionally boob jobs for free for people that claim this. Worth a try?

To be honest, I think it maybe possible. A very slim chance, but still a chance nevertheless. A girl I know managed to a get a tit job done on the NHS. How she managed it I have no idea (i'm guessing she insisted that her flat chest was causing major her depression etc.)

Depending on the circumstances, you can get cosmetic surgeries done on the NHS (which really makes my blood boil !!!!!)
:firing: :nono: :protest: :eek:nfire:

As stated previously though, you would have to be an absolute MORON to want to get this done on the NHS - for glaringly obvious reasons.....[/quote:l7udf3ry]

Yes women can get breast enlargements on the NHS if it is causing them psychological problems, but this will never happen for a man with hairloss. Men are completely discriminated against in todays society regarding physical appearance in case you hadn't noticed already.

Lucky_UK

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Women who get breast tratment on the NHS are usually ones that need reductions because of bad backs and black eyes

jared_24

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes, needing to get a breast reductions on the NHS I can completely understand and have no issues with at all - afterall surely this is classed as a medical condition which is causing actual physical pain to the sufferer.

But to think my taxes are paying for some random girl to get f**king implants - which is a completely and totally unnecessary procedure, is just utterly taking the p!ss and makes a complete mockery of the NHS system and is an insult to the tax payer.

If girls are that miserable because of their flat chests - then they have to just learn to deal with it or pay for the procedure THEMSELVES (like us guys with male pattern baldness HAVE to do!!!! Geeez!!!! :nono: )

Who the f**k makes up these rules???