roki

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I need a new routine
can Harrie/anyone else reconnmend anything

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Here are a few to read up on - HST, Intermediate 5x5, Texas Method. There a million other programs, but at your level, you don't need them yet.

FWIW - most people go from Starting Strength to either Texas Method or Intermediate 5x5.

roki

Experienced Member
Reaction score
thanks alot
your da man

roki

Experienced Member
Reaction score
so i looked at those routines
i like HST it looks cool and interesting but i think its gonna be a problem for me b/c my gym is crowded and it asks for doing many different exercises each workout
what do you think about hst ?

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
Harie said:
Here are a few to read up on - HST, Intermediate 5x5, Texas Method. There a million other programs, but at your level, you don't need them yet.

FWIW - most people go from Starting Strength to either Texas Method or Intermediate 5x5.

^^
he knows what he is talkin about....HST and starr's 5x5 were some of the best routines Ive done!!

roki

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hair today gone tomorrow said:
Harie said:

^^
he knows what he is talkin about....HST and starr's 5x5 were some of the best routines Ive done!!
ive been taking his advice since i started trainning

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
roki said:
i like HST it looks cool and interesting but i think its gonna be a problem for me b/c my gym is crowded and it asks for doing many different exercises each workout

HST is done pretty quickly, and it utilizes a lot of different pieces of gym eq. Squat rack, bench, calf press, leg curl machine and free weights. You wouldn't be on any 1 piece of equipment, besides dumbbells, for very long. I can't imagine it would be a problem unless by crowded you mean a waiting line for each piece of equipment. Plus, you can switch up the workout order to accomodate which pieces of equipment are open.

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Hair today gone tomorrow - you ever run this program before? Another Bill Star routine

Heavy Day
Squat 5x5 Ramping to top set of 5
Bench 5x5 Ramping to top set of 5
Deadlift OR Bent Rows 5x5 Ramping to top set of 5
Incline DB Press 2x20 Light Weight
Calf Raises 3x30
Weighted Situps 4xfailure

Light Day
Squats or Lunges 5x5/4x6 Lunges Use 50 lbs less on all sets than on heavy day
Good Mornings OR SLDL's OR Kneeling Squats 4x10 Do one of the previous exercises, not all 3. Rotate If using SLDL's, work up to 75% max squat - GOAL. Good Mornings - 225 is top weight to use for safety reasons
Military 5x5 Ramping to top set of 5
Dips 1x8-20 When you can do 20, add weight and drop to 8 reps
Curls 3x15

Medium Day
Squats 5x5 Same weight as first 4 sets of Heavy Day
Incline DB Press 5x5 Ramping to top set of 5
Shrugs OR Clean High Pulls 5x5 Ramping to top set of 5
Straight Arm Pull-Overs 2x20
Chins 4xfailure
Abs 4xfailure

NOTES:
Week A: Deadlifts, Good Mornings, Shrugs
Week B: Bent-Over Rows, Stiff-Leg Deadlifts, Clean High Pu

After two or three weeks, you can add in back-off sets on all of the pressing exercises, squats, and lunges.
Should you want to work more on any back exercise, do another top-end set.
If you get 5 reps on your top set, add weight next week

roki

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Harie said:
roki said:

HST is done pretty quickly, and it utilizes a lot of different pieces of gym eq. Squat rack, bench, calf press, leg curl machine and free weights. You wouldn't be on any 1 piece of equipment, besides dumbbells, for very long. I can't imagine it would be a problem unless by crowded you mean a waiting line for each piece of equipment. Plus, you can switch up the workout order to accomodate which pieces of equipment are open.
yesl, i mean there's a line on some of the things but if i can switch it up it would be ok.
another problem rised up today :
i might be going travelling in a few days for 2 months.
i was suppost to go in 2/5 months but i might go now instead
then ill have to see what im gonna do :/

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
Harie said:
Hair today gone tomorrow - you ever run this program before? Another Bill Star routine

Heavy Day
Squat 5x5 Ramping to top set of 5
Bench 5x5 Ramping to top set of 5
Deadlift OR Bent Rows 5x5 Ramping to top set of 5
Incline DB Press 2x20 Light Weight
Calf Raises 3x30
Weighted Situps 4xfailure

Light Day
Squats or Lunges 5x5/4x6 Lunges Use 50 lbs less on all sets than on heavy day
Good Mornings OR SLDL's OR Kneeling Squats 4x10 Do one of the previous exercises, not all 3. Rotate If using SLDL's, work up to 75% max squat - GOAL. Good Mornings - 225 is top weight to use for safety reasons
Military 5x5 Ramping to top set of 5
Dips 1x8-20 When you can do 20, add weight and drop to 8 reps
Curls 3x15

Medium Day
Squats 5x5 Same weight as first 4 sets of Heavy Day
Incline DB Press 5x5 Ramping to top set of 5
Shrugs OR Clean High Pulls 5x5 Ramping to top set of 5
Straight Arm Pull-Overs 2x20
Chins 4xfailure
Abs 4xfailure

NOTES:
Week A: Deadlifts, Good Mornings, Shrugs
Week B: Bent-Over Rows, Stiff-Leg Deadlifts, Clean High Pu

After two or three weeks, you can add in back-off sets on all of the pressing exercises, squats, and lunges.
Should you want to work more on any back exercise, do another top-end set.
If you get 5 reps on your top set, add weight next week

No, i never did that one....the one I did was like this....

HEAVY MONDAY

Squat 5x5 Ramping weight to top set of 5 (which should equal the previous Friday's heavy triple)

Bench 5x5 Ramping weight to top set of 5 (which should equal the previous Friday's heavy triple)

Barbell Row 5x5 Ramping weight to top set of 5 (which should equal the previous Friday's heavy triple)

Assistance: 2 sets of weighted hypers and 4 sets of weighted sit-ups

MEDIUM WEDNESDAY

Squat 4x5 First 3 sets are the same as Monday, the 4th set is repeating the 3rd set again

Incline or Military 4x5 Ramping weight to top set of 5

Deadlift 4x5 Ramping weight to top set of 5

Assistance: 3 sets of sit-ups

LIGHT FRIDAY

Squat 4x5, 1x3, 1x8 First 4 sets are the same as Monday's, the triple is 2.5% above your Monday top set of 5, use the weight from the 3rd set for a final set of 8

Bench 4x5, 1x3, 1x8 First 4 sets are the same as Monday's, the triple is 2.5% above your Monday top set of 5, use the weight from the 3rd set for a final set of 8

Barbell Row 4x5, 1x3, 1x8 First 4 sets are the same as Monday's, the triple is 2.5% above your Monday top set of 5, use the weight from the 3rd set for a final set of 8

Assistance: 3 sets of weighted dips (5-8 reps), 3 sets of barbell curls and 3 sets of triceps extensions (8 reps)

I made ridiculous gains on that routine...I dont do it anymore...but I might jump on it again soon.

All the info is on this site
http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/index.htm

CCS

Reaction score
good grief. Everyone says something different about how much time to rest between workouts.

Harie

Experienced Member
Reaction score

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
Harie said:
hair today gone tomorrow said:
I made ridiculous gains on that routine...I dont do it anymore...but I might jump on it again soon.

All the info is on this site
http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/index.htm

I've run that program before too. Not too shabby IMO.

yah...a lot of people see it as a strength program...but if youre eating right you can get big on that....I was setting new PR's everyweek!! but then exams came up and i had to stop training for awhile!!

hair today gone tomorrow

Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
good grief. Everyone says something different about how much time to rest between workouts.

ccs...it depends on the workout...there are a lot of variable you can play with...that workout is like a total body workout 3x a week...your prob doin a split and training 1 body part every 7 days right?

G

colledgechemistrystudent you are 100% right you see every idiot throws there two cents in when it comes to weight training i think its a macho thing ..Its stupid though because its very confusing for poeple like us when these suposside "pros" talking about back down sets and all that crap..man where not ronnie colemans to worry about these things.... this way of training the same bodypart 3 times a week is way too much ..why not just train each bodypart hard once a week with real effort...trust me colledge chemistry student if you have 40 doallrs too spare get the book BEYOND BRAUN and dont worry what some people on the net say because you will get 1 million diferent opinions from people who dont know sh*t ...

G

and 5 reps isnt enouth to gain good size its basically strength training only , try 8 to 12 with 4 sets but like i said get the book man...spend 40 bucks for a lifetime of knowledge from a REAL PRO ..

CCS

Reaction score
or I could save $40 and just do my 10-15 sets every 4 days. I think that is what I'll do. It is hard though when my wrists can't handle bench press, and I have to do flies or cable work for my chest, which means my bicepts get worked with my chest. I'm trying to do just chest and tricepts on one day and back and bicepts two days later.

CCS

Reaction score
rambotera said:
what are you doing 10 to 15 sets of??

Day 1
on back/bicept day:
3 sets of chin ups
3 sets of rows (15 reps)
3 sets of close grip cable pull downs (on lat machine)
3 sets of rear deltoid flys
1 set of lower back extensions
1 set of harmer curls
1 set of reverse curls
= 15 sets

Day 2
Leg workout, 20 minutes, followed by 20 minutes of interval training on a bike or incline treadmill

Day 3
chest and tricespts
3 sets of flat bench
3 sets of incline bench
3 sets of decline bench
3 sets of over head pressess
3 sets of dips
= 15 sets

Day 4
30 minutes of interval leg training, twice 4 hours apart

repeat, or take a day off if needed.

CCS

Reaction score
I get those done in 30 minutes. I do abs on upper body day, but not at the same time of day necessarily.