hairpiece de resistance

mayalopecia

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been meaning to post about my new hairpiece for a while now. Since I've got a little free time right now, here goes.

In November I went to see Janet at her salon in San Carlos, CA. Her web site is http://www.hrbyjanet.com. I have very unusual hair, I'm half-white, half-black, and somehow have ended up with hair that's best described as curly Jewish hair. Go figure. In any case, it's impossible to match to any off the shelf hair, so I decided to get a custom piece made. It was not cheap, by any means, but the peace of mind is worth it to me.

I still have, by objective standards, a fair amount of hair. I could, if I chose to do so, get away with strategic styling, toppik, dermmatch and couvre indefinitely. However, covering my scalp is only one of my goals. Because my hair is full and curly, I need to offset the fullness at the ends by getting some back at the top. Since it doesn't look like my treatments are going to do the trick, I have purchased a topper. It is very small, about 1.5 inches wide and 3 inches long. The hair matches my own texture very closely. The color is a near-perfect match as well. I may lighten my roots to make it match just that much better, but you'd be hard pressed to notice a difference even if you did know that my roots are very dark (my ends are very red).

Janet was great to work with, and I would recommend visitng her at least for a consultation. She has many types of hair to show you, and has designed her own hairpieces, which impressed me greatly. She also wears hairpieces herself, so you get a good idea of what is possible just from talkiing to her (and let me tell you, they are INVISIBLE!).

Cheers,
-maya

G

pictures of hair

Posted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 10:23 am Post subject: Pictures

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My first question is how much??? In all honesty it looks like you have too much hair. Sorry thats my opinion but thats why I dont want to do wigs or hair pieces. They igve you hair thats too thick and not very natural. Plus what if the wind blows it off. Its very windy where I live and I had a very embarrassing situation occur. If your happy then God Bless thats all that really matters.

mayalopecia

Reaction score
I'd rather not post about the total cost of the piece, to be quite honest. Not to mention the fact that you've been less than supportive of my endeavor to show you my new hair. Before I began losing hair, I had hair like Chaka Khan, I kid you not. Perhaps you aren't accustomed to seeing people with this much hair, but I assure you, it's less than I had before.

I don't know if you are male or female, but as a young woman, I don't feel that I have much choice in the matter with regards to covering my hair loss. So that's fine if you don't want to bother with wigs and hairpieces, but I find it unacceptable to walk around bald.

-maya

ReneeL

Reaction score
mayalopecia said:
I've been meaning to post about my new hairpiece for a while now.
It looks great! I can totally understand about wanting to get the look back that you once had and it looks like you've managed it quite nicely. I also went to Janet's web site. She sounds like a great person. This is great info to have for anyone whose treatments don't work. I'm still waiting on mine. I've been on Rogaine for 1 month and nothing yet.
Renee

ReneeL

Reaction score
PS

PS:
I just noticed your age. I'm sorry this happens to young people like you. I'm in my 40s and I feel too young for it to happen to me!
Renee

G

it looks great

Maya-

I am the "guest" that orginally asked about your hairpiece by Janet. I actually made an appointment to see her. To be honest your hair looks great and extremely natural as far as I could tell. It definetly does not look like you have too much hair since your hair is naturally curly. I was wondering if we could see a picture of how your hair looks without the topper to get an idea how much the topper is able to cover. I understand completely if you would feel uncomfortable doing this.

mayalopecia

Reaction score
Hi Guest,

I'd be willing to do that, but would you mind registering so that I can private message you with my email address, so I can email you with the location of that picture? I don't actually have one now, but I can take one and post it quickly.

-maya

mayalopecia

Reaction score
Renee,

I spaced, thanks for your compliments. As for the 26yo thinning problem, I guess that's just the way the genes combine! I expected to have thinning around menopause, but my testosterone levels started peaking early I guess!

-maya

G

Hi Maya! I think it looks very natural and very lovely, and not too thick at all.

:)

Laura

Rozzy252

Established Member
Reaction score
Wow Maya,
your hair looks faboulous!!! I don't know what it looked like before but my goodness you can't tell the difference. Anyways, congratulations... it looks beautiful...!!!

mayalopecia

Reaction score
merci beaucoup!

Rozzy and Laura,

Thanks for your kind remarks!

-maya

lentara

Established Member
Reaction score
Looks great, Maya!

mayalopecia

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Now if I could just work up the nerve to wear it out. Can't seem to do that just yet....

I'm going to return the album to private status soon. If you try to look and can't, PM me and I'll give you access. I'm just feeling antsy about who might be accessing without my knowledge.

Cheers,
-maya

Violet

Reaction score
Hello,

That link doesn't appear to be working. Would it be because I am in Australia?

I too am curious to see how much a piece will cover up, as I am at a point where I need one for the front and top of my head.

As for my eyebrows, I have no idea what I can do about them - people ask me why I pluck them so much, but I don't pluck them at all, they're just dying, just like the hair on my head (and on my arms and to a lesser extent, everywhere). :(

Take care,

Violet

Angela75

Reaction score
I know this is an older thread, but Maya you are the first woman that i've found who has posted about having curly hair and getting a topper. My hair started falling out when I was 15 (i'm 37 now) so i've been dealing with this for over two decades. I have lost about 85% of my once thick curls. I can get away with Toppik and a LOT of hair spray and people still think I have thick hair... but I know that I don't. I freak out during windstorms, can't get caught in the rain, haven't been swimming in 20 years and unless I want to spend an hour + just doing my hair every day then I have to wear a bandana everywhere I go :( I have been taking spironolactone and yasmin for the last 4 years which slowed the loss considerably until a few months ago when it started pouring out again. I have had enough and want to get a bonded topper but i'm scared. It's a big commitment to shave the top of your head... especially because I can still get away without wearing a piece, but i just think about all of the things that i could do with a topper that i can't do with the hair I have now. It's just SO scary! Did you shave where you bonded it? Do you bond yourself? I wish I could see your pictures because another concern is that the topper will have flat curls and I'm used to crazy, wild curls and that's what it seems like you have too. Do you still have your pics online somewhere? I wish I lived in CA or NY because it seems like the top hair replacement places are there. I'm in Dallas and my choices are very limited :( Any help would be appreciated :)

Reaction score
I own a damage free hairpiece and extensions company in SC and would love to help you. I custom cut and color pieces to match customers hair perfectly! Please look me up on FB I ship all over the country! Ashtyn Tinsley Guest L.A. Hair Boutique 864-590-8924 (I ALSO CUSTOM WIGS) :)

kaliliak

Reaction score
I totally understand wanting a topper. Like you I still 'have' hair, but it's not what I used to have and being young I'm really embarrassed about it.

I've seen semi-permanent toppers 'bonded' with microlinks, I wouldn't want to shave my hear either. Try finding a topper you could attach with micro rings and try it out. Mine last about a week before feeling loose. Plus it gets itchy, I love having it off weekly to brush and clean my scalp.

Mary411

Reaction score
I totally understand wanting a topper. Like you I still 'have' hair, but it's not what I used to have and being young I'm really embarrassed about it.

I've seen semi-permanent toppers 'bonded' with microlinks, I wouldn't want to shave my hear either. Try finding a topper you could attach with micro rings and try it out. Mine last about a week before feeling loose. Plus it gets itchy, I love having it off weekly to brush and clean my scalp.

I think it's wonderful that you still have so much hair, but am sorry that you're experiencing this as a young person. I know how that feels because I've always had barely any hair to begin with. Now what little I have is almost gone. There's just enough there to make me look like a long-standing chemo patient.

Hopefully, you can get some help from this place. I hope someone tries to help you. God bless, sweetie.