hairloss after washing my hair

G

Hi!
Is it normal to lose lots of hair on the day you wash your hair?
From the minute my hair gets wet a lot of hairs come loose. After the shower I wait 'till my hair is dry to comb it, but still I lose like 50-60 hair just combing it.
On normal days I lose 30-70 hair, never more, but so much more when I wash it. Is this normal?
I worries me really...

G

belgiangirl said:
Hi!
Is it normal to lose lots of hair on the day you wash your hair?
From the minute my hair gets wet a lot of hairs come loose. After the shower I wait 'till my hair is dry to comb it, but still I lose like 50-60 hair just combing it.
On normal days I lose 30-70 hair, never more, but so much more when I wash it. Is this normal?
I worries me really...

No it is not normal.

G

mmm, I'd like some more explanation and maybe from other girls with long hair...
You're not really comforting me, Bruce...

G

belgiangirl said:
mmm, I'd like some more explanation and maybe from other girls with long hair...

Sorry, and my experience being a guy may not apply. But if I get more than 10 hairs in the sink or shower, I start to lose it.

G

isn't that a bit of an overreaction? As far as I know a healthy person loses between 50 and 100 hairs a day

G

Anonymous said:
isn't that a bit of an overreaction? As far as I know a healthy person loses between 50 and 100 hairs a day

Well I have read that too but the specific question I think was, how many hairs in the sink/shower. The number you often read about is total loss througout the 24 hr day.

Most of those you cant count but you can count the sink/tub hairs.

So, anyway, for me, a normal day is 5-10 in the sink.

Hope that helps.

G

It's not so much in the shower or the sink. It's more throughout the day I wash my hair. I lose about 40 hairs on the days I don't wash my hair, it's just much more during the days I wash it... thats' what I meant

G

belgiangirl said:

Yeah Bruce, stay away! :devil2: Just kidding!

Anyway Belgiangirl, my hair, at it's shortest is at my collarbone, while the longest is at the back, at my bra-strap. I guess that would constitute as long, or at least medium-long, so maybe I can help a bit better :) .

As for losing hair, people lose more hair if they do not wash their hair daily. Besides, washing your hair daily helps keep the scalp clean.

When I was heavily shedding while on birth control, I was losing about 45 in the shower. Today, after stopping birth control and getting a good diet, I only lose about 10 - 15, 20 at the very most in the shower.

I will try and find some other info for you later, right now I must run!

Laura

G

My problem is solved!!

I haven't posted here in a long time and the reason is that my problem got solved. My doctor prescribed me with a dosis of Zinc (band: gammadyn) everyday.
Zinc is a mineral which has a strong influence on our hair, but it is very difficult to get it out of food these days.
for me this helped me tremendously and I don't have to worry about my hair anymore. When I comb it now only 2-4 hairs come out in the morning, and no more after-shower drama for me. I still lose more hair when I wash it but the amounts are much much less.

I hope this can help some other people. I don't think it will help when you suffer from a hair disease, but if you just lose more hair than usual for no apparent reason, you should try it!!

G

Re: My problem is solved!!

Belgiangirl said:
I haven't posted here in a long time and the reason is that my problem got solved. My doctor prescribed me with a dosis of Zinc (band: gammadyn) everyday.
Zinc is a mineral which has a strong influence on our hair, but it is very difficult to get it out of food these days.
for me this helped me tremendously and I don't have to worry about my hair anymore. When I comb it now only 2-4 hairs come out in the morning, and no more after-shower drama for me. I still lose more hair when I wash it but the amounts are much much less.

I hope this can help some other people. I don't think it will help when you suffer from a hair disease, but if you just lose more hair than usual for no apparent reason, you should try it!!

Good for you! :lol:

G

Hi Mate. You dont really need to worry because it is normal to loose your hair whilst washing. everybody looses about a 100 hairs each day and is perfectly normal! so don't worry about it falling out you aint the only one!x
tanya.x

angiepooface

Reaction score
I talked to a dermatologist a few days ago and asked her why I was losing more hair in the shower. She told me it's normal to lose more hair in the shower, because when you wash your hair, the hairs in sleeping stage are more likely to fall out than when the hair is dry. She also said that the loss in the shower can be as excessive as 200 hairs and be normal if your hair is thick. I usually lose about 50 or 60 in the shower and she said this was normal.

Jhair123

My Regimen
Reaction score
You may be dealing with Telogen Effluvium, like me. I found this girls videos and they have helped me so much - in this one she even goes into her shower routine to help with shedding hair. Good luck you to all!