Hairline FUE transplants

jd_uk

Reaction score
I've just been looking at some pictures of the work of Dr ******** and Dr Feriduni and can't help but think that while some of these showcases of their best work may look great now, in years to come the guys will end up with very unnatural hair. ******** for example seems to use 2000 grafts just for minimal work on the hairline..and they may be what it needs to get a dense look...but what happens when the guy becomes a NW5 or something... drugs only work for so long and family history isn't always accurate...

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well that's the problem with hair transplants. You can restore your hairline and have great hair for now but screw yourself over when you're older, or you can wait until your bald and get a conservative hair transplant, you'll never have good hair, but nor will you ever look bald. Only those destined for low Norwood levels are good candidates long term for aggressive dense heiar line focused transplants, those destined for higher Norwood levels have a difficult choice to make.

jd_uk

Reaction score
I agree GoldenMane. But the trouble is, nobdody can ever predict with certainty what level of hair loss they will become... even with good family history, a guy who is in his 20's, 30's or even 40's with a receding hairline is probably quite likely to lose more hair in future. And let's face it... usually (but not always), it is the younger guys who are more likely to care about their hair...when they are more concerned with their appearance.

It is somethibg i am battling with... i am 32 now and have had a fairly stable receding hairline (maybe NW2-3) for around 5 years now and i have such an urge to have a small hairline transplant just to feel younger again and have the confidence back that i had when i was in my early 20's. But then my family history for hair loss is poor and regardless of that I read a surgeon saying how rare it is for a guy with a receding hairline in his 30's not to lose quite a lot more hair. :(

Reaction score
If you´re a diffuse thinner then it´s definitely a bigger risk. Those destined for low NW´s (2 or 3, maybe 4 with intact crown) should be safe for a dense hairline transplant. You never know what's going to happen though, so it's always a risk but not every hairline transplant with many grafts is a bad idea.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree GoldenMane. But the trouble is, nobdody can ever predict with certainty what level of hair loss they will become... even with good family history, a guy who is in his 20's, 30's or even 40's with a receding hairline is probably quite likely to lose more hair in future. And let's face it... usually (but not always), it is the younger guys who are more likely to care about their hair...when they are more concerned with their appearance.

It is somethibg i am battling with... i am 32 now and have had a fairly stable receding hairline (maybe NW2-3) for around 5 years now and i have such an urge to have a small hairline transplant just to feel younger again and have the confidence back that i had when i was in my early 20's. But then my family history for hair loss is poor and regardless of that I read a surgeon saying how rare it is for a guy with a receding hairline in his 30's not to lose quite a lot more hair. :(

We have to take into account though, that we are all on finasteride or dutasteride these days, so while it's very likely we will lose more, it's questionable whether we will lose as much long term as balding men not on finasteride. We may ultimately reach our hairline destinies, or we may lose less and at a slower rate. A man destine for NW6... Will he still become an NW6 on finasteride or dutasteride? Then there's the possibility of hair follicle cloning in the future (I know we shouldn't plan our hair transplant's based on the hope of a potential future treatment carrying the slack). Wouldn't you kick yourself if you missed the chance to have great hair now, unnecessarily conserving grafts only to end up haiving unlimited grafts in your older years? That's a gamble. A big one.

We just have to ask ourselves, will we take that risk? And what is more important? Our hair now? And for the next 10 years? Or our chance to not look bald with a more conservative, thinner transplant in our mid 40s, 50s and 60s? It's not an easy question. I think we're all struggling with that one.

jd_uk

Reaction score
We have to take into account though, that we are all on finasteride or dutasteride these days, so while it's very likely we will lose more, it's questionable whether we will lose as much long term as balding men not on finasteride. We may ultimately reach our hairline destinies, or we may lose less and at a slower rate. A man destine for NW6... Will he still become an NW6 on finasteride or dutasteride? Then there's the possibility of hair follicle cloning in the future (I know we shouldn't plan our hair transplant's based on the hope of a potential future treatment carrying the slack). Wouldn't you kick yourself if you missed the chance to have great hair now, unnecessarily conserving grafts only to end up haiving unlimited grafts in your older years? That's a gamble. A big one.

We just have to ask ourselves, will we take that risk? And what is more important? Our hair now? And for the next 10 years? Or our chance to not look bald with a more conservative, thinner transplant in our mid 40s, 50s and 60s? It's not an easy question. I think we're all struggling with that one.

I'm not and can't see myself ever going on finasteride. Maybe if my hair loss dramatically speeds up then i might get scared and go on it but for now my hair is relatively stable and i've always just been of the state of mind that I don't want to mess with my hormones. Respect to guys who are on it but it's just not for me. The thought of taking a hormone altering drug for the rest of my life makes me feel anxious. And i'm almost convinced now that the year or so which i put minoxidil on my hairline made it worse.

But yes you are right. Maybe it is a question of choosing between good hair now versus the future. For me, the age I am now and being single, this is the time where i wish my confidence was at its highest...but the receding hairline doesn't help.

INT

Reaction score
In case of not using finasteride you are probably right.

But what if someone is responding well to finasteride? For example:

Someone decides to get on finasteride at the age of 25 when he is a Norwood 1,5 (destined to be a Norwood 5 later in life).
It is not unlikely to think that this guy could maintain hair in a way that he would have a Norwood 2 at the age of 35.
If he then decided to get an hair transplant to get his Norwood 1 back at the age of 35 I highly doubt this will make him look weird in the future to be honest...

jd_uk

Reaction score
In case of not using finasteride you are probably right.

But what if someone is responding well to finasteride? For example:

Someone decides to get on finasteride at the age of 25 when he is a Norwood 1,5 (destined to be a Norwood 5 later in life).
It is not unlikely to think that this guy could maintain hair in a way that he would have a Norwood 2 at the age of 35.
If he then decided to get an hair transplant to get his Norwood 1 back at the age of 35 I highly doubt this will make him look weird in the future to be honest...

But i've heard many people say that their hair loss progressed despite finasteride so even then there are no guarantees. I suppose that is one the horrible thing about hair loss - it is the fear of the unknown. But yes i can definitely see how taking finasteride gives extra insurance when having a hair transplant. It's just somethng that i don't really ever want to take. I'd actually be scared that the changing of my hormones might kick start my hair loss again.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hair loss will progress even with finasteride.

It's not clear how it progresses.

Does finasteride merely stall male pattern baldness for 5-10 years, then it comes back with a vengeance and end up bald with an extra year or two? Or does it slow down the progress hugely over the course of a lifetime, but slowly, cumulatively people do begin losing hair again?

No answers. If it was me though, I wouldn't throw everything at the front unless (a) I was on finasteride or (b) knew my final hair loss pattern was an NW3 or 4.

As someone destined for NW5 or 6, I wouldn't dare tackle the front aggressively, even if I am on finasteride and intend to switch to dutasteride eventually.

INT

Reaction score
Hair loss will progress even with finasteride.

It's not clear how it progresses.

Does finasteride merely stall male pattern baldness for 5-10 years, then it comes back with a vengeance and end up bald with an extra year or two? Or does it slow down the progress hugely over the course of a lifetime, but slowly, cumulatively people do begin losing hair again?

No answers. If it was me though, I wouldn't throw everything at the front unless (a) I was on finasteride or (b) knew my final hair loss pattern was an NW3 or 4.

As someone destined for NW5 or 6, I wouldn't dare tackle the front aggressively, even if I am on finasteride and intend to switch to dutasteride eventually.

Yes the male pattern baldness will at some point probably continue but a much slower pace then it would have done without finasteride. For example, two twin brothers who start to lose hair at 24, A will use finasteride, B will not.

- A and B are both a Norwood 1,5 at the age of 25

- A will still be a Norwood 1,5 at the age of 32.
B Will now head to Norwood 3 area.

- At the age of 36 A will now be a Norwood 2 an decides to do a minor hair transplant to recover his hairline to a Norwood 1.
B Will be a Norwood 3,5

- At the age of 45 A will now get some thinning in the Norwood 3 area which he can easily fill up with a second hair transplant. His hairloss will proabably not change a lot after that.
B Will now head into Norwood 5 area.

I would say that this is not a very unrealistic scenario (maintaining for 7 years with finasteride and then slowly losing a little after that is probabaly an average result eventhough there are many stories out there from people that do even better). Let's also not forget, a lot of men who are not considered balding will also lose SOME hair when they get older.

arfy

Established Member
Reaction score
But yes you are right. Maybe it is a question of choosing between good hair now versus the future. For me, the age I am now and being single, this is the time where i wish my confidence was at its highest...but the receding hairline doesn't help.

I'm in my 50s, and would like to tell you that if you are bothered by hair loss now, your hair will certainly be a concern to you when you get older. It's a logical fallacy that young guys think their hair is "more important now" (when they're young). Please don't jeopardize your future appearance just so you can have 10 years of good hair (or whatever you think is the deal you're making). At least hair loss looks normal -- but a problem hair transplant doesn't, and that is a terrible thing to contend with. Don't downplay the risk of future negatives, the risks are potentially dire.

FBaldy

Reaction score
Sounds like laser eye surgery in saying you only have 1 set of eye balls but I don't regret getting that done too, I have had 20/20 for almost 5-6 years and would do it again in the future if need be.

Some great comments on here its true with the big 3 (finasteride or propecia + minoxidil+nizoral shampoo) you could get a good 5 or 10 years out of it or more, this is what happen to me eventually it just felt like nothing worked any more and hair loss took over more aggressive now in my early 40s, but I started when I was 30. Don't regret it either I got a good 7-8 years with maintaining what I had left the trick is to start the treatment early while you still have some hair if you start too late it won't work nearly as well or at all. I too started too late due to fear of changing body chemistry and erection problems etc.

I had a break for almost 2 years recently the side effects seemed to go after a good few months but hair loss continued slowly now am back on the big 3 which I will try till next spring/summer and if no difference after that golden hair cut I think its best to look at hair transplant surgeries but I will be sure to check crown, hair line properly.

Another point to remember sure a hair transplant can leave scars on the head which will just look bad however when your in your 50s-60s does it matter much ? One may have to consider further hair transplants or hair follicles or hair sprays, wigs and hopefully by then one can pray something better is available like hair cloning.

Hair is youth in many cases and if your already young then both marry each other well.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
@arfy
i know i will always care about hair loss, but as others have pointed out like Fbaldy above, youth is simply more important. Your looks matter most in your 20s and 30s. That's the time when you start you career, make your friends, find your wife, have your kids, it's your prime. The best years of your life supposedly.

I'm almost 30. I want to have good hair in my 30s so I can achieve my goals with confidence. Maybe when I'm in my late 30s or 40s things will turn south. I'll need more transplants. Maybe I'll need to remove some of the first transplant grafts and leave some minor scarring, go for a thinner coverage and keep my head buzzed. Will I still care about my appearance? Sure, but by then, I'll start to become older, my looks will fade, my skin will start to get wrinkly, decline will be normal.

You're in your 50s. Okay. When did you start losing your hair? In your 30s? In your 40s? I doubt you know what it's like to experience serious hair loss in your 20s. Its awful. Much worse than hair loss in your 50s. Much worse. The trade off is absolutely worth it. Yeah we'll all still care in our 50s, but good hair now >>> having some minor FUE scarring covered by thinner hair in our 50s

RU serious

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Strongly considering a hair transplant to fill in my hairline at the age of 24. Good hair now means more than potential problems down the line because I want to at least live out my 20's feeling young.

arfy

Established Member
Reaction score
Another point to remember sure a hair transplant can leave scars on the head which will just look bad however when your in your 50s-60s does it matter much ?

Absolutely yes. Don't kid yourself, you will certainly care more about hair transplant problems (such as scars) than you do about hair loss.

I doubt you know what it's like to experience serious hair loss in your 20s.

I got my first transplants at age 21, and have regretted them every day. Your mileage may vary though. But I understand the deep sense of shame that some guys experience because they have an early onset of male pattern baldness. Very few people resort to hair transplants though. I think it's really too bad guys are so devastated, and it's needless. Hair loss won't prevent you from doing anything (including having confidence). Hard to understand that in your 20s, but as you enter your 30s and 40s, more and more friends and peers will also start facing hair loss too, and you'll also understand that your dating partners will care less than they did in your 20s.

Good hair now means more than potential problems down the line because I want to at least live out my 20's feeling young.

A hair transplant doesn't guarantee "good hair" - a lot will depend on your personal characteristics (some guys are better candidates than others, and can expect better results). Also, your first hair transplant is usually just the beginning - the vast majority of patients require multiple surgeries. The idea that you'll address your hair loss with one hair transplant is faulty logic (you might not have suggested that - if not, my apologies).

I sincerely wish everyone well, I just hate to see people taking a casual attitude about weighing the risks. The possible negatives should not be glossed over.

FBaldy

Reaction score
The Fue hair transplant pictures many posters have been posting so far are pretty good can't even see any scarring even after a few months though, but is it really that bad the scaring issue?

I know its going to suck really bad if I am suddenly in my 50s-60s and have wavy red lines where my hair use to be but I still reckon by then most of my face will be sagging and old and wrinkly to substitute the overall gross look:)

F2005

Established Member
Reaction score
Absolutely yes. Don't kid yourself, you will certainly care more about hair transplant problems (such as scars) than you do about hair loss.

I got my first transplants at age 21, and have regretted them every day. Your mileage may vary though. But I understand the deep sense of shame that some guys experience because they have an early onset of male pattern baldness. Very few people resort to hair transplants though. I think it's really too bad guys are so devastated, and it's needless. Hair loss won't prevent you from doing anything (including having confidence). Hard to understand that in your 20s, but as you enter your 30s and 40s, more and more friends and peers will also start facing hair loss too, and you'll also understand that your dating partners will care less than they did in your 20s.

A hair transplant doesn't guarantee "good hair" - a lot will depend on your personal characteristics (some guys are better candidates than others, and can expect better results). Also, your first hair transplant is usually just the beginning - the vast majority of patients require multiple surgeries. The idea that you'll address your hair loss with one hair transplant is faulty logic (you might not have suggested that - if not, my apologies).

I sincerely wish everyone well, I just hate to see people taking a casual attitude about weighing the risks. The possible negatives should not be glossed over.

I really do agree with Arfy to a certain degree, and this is why I've never gotten a hair transplant and do not intend to do so. Some hair transplant proponents, others in the industry, and other forums make it seem like hair transplants are some type of "gold standard" when this could not be further from the truth. They talk about them so often that it would make it seem that they are some type of mainstream solution that everyone gets. But as Arfy correctly points out, very, very few people (like less than 5%) actually opt for hair transplants, and I believe this is because they possess so many limitations and drawbacks. Like the inability to create anything close to a full head of hair, the permanent scarring, the price, the probable need for multiple surgeries, and the fact that it is most often required that you'll need to get on finasteride to stabilize further hair loss. And this is one of the reasons I contributed to send Hellouser to the Hair Congress in Miami. Because although today's hair restoration options may be touted as such great and mainstream options, they really are not at all, and we therefore need much better, more effective, and less invasive options to treat hair loss.