Haircuts for receding hairlines

Reaction score
Well as the title suggests I'm pretty much looking for haircuts that complement a receding hairline. I did do a search on google and although a plethora of sites with different styles and haircuts show up I don't really think it takes into account young guys who are receding. All these sites cite examples like Hugh Laurie, Charlie Sheen, George Clooney and Nicholas Cage as good hairstyle options for men who have receding hairlines. This advice is definitely catered towards an older demographic and leaves a young receder like me feeling a bit helpless.

So I'm just wondering if there's any other young receders out there on here who can recommend a style that a 21 year old NW2.5/3 like me could possibly pull off.

Primo

Experienced Member
Reaction score
As a NW2.5-3, I think the best way to get your haircut is...

1) Cut the sides and back nice and short (this horse shoe hair grows thicker than other areas for men with male pattern baldness and so must be kept short at all times to lessen the appearance of thinning on top/receding temples)

2) Leave the hair on top and the fringe longer. It is especially vital that the fringe is left longer if you want to lessen the impact of your receeding temples, I've had so many horrorshow haircuts where idiot hairdressers have cut my fringe like I'm a NW1 and it looked horrendous!

3) To take further attention away from your hairline you might want to consider a mohawk kind of style with your hair on top and at that back. I'm not talking about using half a tub of gel here, just a subtle style with maybe a finger tip of hair wax. This combined with a longer fringe at the front for extra coverage, should succeed in making you look younger and fresher...

It's a reasonably high-maintenance hairstyle, but if you get it cut regularly like every 4-5wks, it will make you look more like a NW1.5 than a NW3 & I can assure you no girls will be able to tell.. Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Primo said:
As a NW2.5-3, I think the best way to get your haircut is...

1) Cut the sides and back nice and short (this horse shoe hair grows thicker than other areas for men with male pattern baldness and so must be kept short at all times to lessen the appearance of thinning on top/receding temples)

2) Leave the hair on top and the fringe longer. It is especially vital that the fringe is left longer if you want to lessen the impact of your receeding temples, I've had so many horrorshow haircuts where idiot hairdressers have cut my fringe like I'm a NW1 and it looked horrendous!

3) To take further attention away from your hairline you might want to consider a mohawk kind of style with your hair on top and at that back. I'm not talking about using half a tub of gel here, just a subtle style with maybe a finger tip of hair wax. This combined with a longer fringe at the front for extra coverage, should succeed in making you look younger and fresher...

It's a reasonably high-maintenance hairstyle, but if you get it cut regularly like every 4-5wks, it will make you look more like a NW1.5 than a NW3 & I can assure you no girls will be able to tell.. Hope this helps.

Hahaha must admit Primo I had to laugh at that bit as I've had similar experience. Some hairdresser who didn't take into account my recession, or probaly didn't care, and just cut my hair the way they felt like. :jackit:

But seriously thanks for this advice I really appreciate it. I'm a bit anxious about getting my haircut but I think I just need to bite the bullet and get it done with. At the moment I'm spending far too much time fretting over my hair it is to some extent consuming me. If it was bit shorter hopefully I can put it out of my mind. I think I will try what you suggest about getting the back and sides cut real short and leave it longer on the top. The mohawk also sounds promising if I can pull it off.

Once again many thanks Primo :)

kejan

Established Member
Reaction score
Agree with primo. I posted a while back in here about a Mohawk style.
I've currently got one and it's the best style for me at the moment I feel. Like Primo said, it's not like it's a mental big mohawk with Gel and eggs etc. It's more similar to a 'High and Tight' marine cut.. It's somewhere inbetween a mohawk and an army cut with the very short sides and a bit of hair on top..

Good point is to keep your hair trimmed at the sides.. I cut my own hair, and I shave my sides once a week with clippers. It'll take a few goes, I've only done it 3x but slowly getting used to it but take your time and start slowly also with a mirror for the back as well, or get someone to help you..

Keep it short at the sides and back like a shaved 1 and then keep some on top.

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
couldn't agree more.. short at sides and back, but leave what you can on top, you'll need it for concealers, should you choose to use anything.

Doug Jarvis

Reaction score
I agree that the Mohawk would be a good option for receding hairlines but what about haircuts for people with really thin crowns? I do not want to do a comb-over which is what most barbers/hairstylists try to do for me. I have some hair in my crown area but how should it be cut in order to maximize its appearance?

kejan

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the reply some 4 months on.
I'm not really sure what is best for a thin crown over than keeping it quite short or eve using some concealer. Some concealers can work great for touch up jobs.

For receders, I think the best is short sides and 3inches on top. I know a guy who has this harcut and I seen him last year with a shaved head and he's a NW3-4 or so - and with this new style, he looks if anything NW2.

TRex

Reaction score
I just cut it my self. its pretty easy.

use a number 1 on the very low part of hair, around ears and back of head up to about an inch. then use number 2 all the way around the horse shoe area that grows faster than balding area. leave balding area to grow.

kejan

Established Member
Reaction score
Me again.. :) haha

I've just attempted to cut the sides, and I've done a fairly ok job of it so far... although my sister in law is a hairdresser, I'm going to get her finish it off tomorrow and make it less hair then no hair like, and try fade the border between the hair and the shaved sides.

How do you do the border area, or fade it? Is it quite hard or come with some practise of cutting your hair?

No doubt I've shaved a massive bald patch in my head that I haven't seen yet in the daylight :woot:

TRex

Reaction score
it just takes practice. Ive done that before. you can use couvre to help cover up.

I start very bottom and side burns with #1, going up about 2 inches. Then use a #2 using upward motion from hairline towards the balding area, but dont cut into the balding area.

You want to try and keep the horseshoe area that not affected by balding shorter and let top grow out.

kejan

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks TRex.

I've trimmed the sides twice now and learning all the time. At the moment my hair is still quite short on top that at 1 is fine for the whole sides and back of the head, but once it grows a bit more on top - I'll try your method of different shavers.