Hair with black bulb?

Axl_Rose

Established Member
Reaction score
So I know it's normal to loose a few hairs a day whether your balding or not, but just before a hair came out with a black bulb at the end, well it looked like a bulb, might of been a bit longer but it was attached to the hair like the little white bulb normally is, what's with that?

cuebald

Reaction score
I too shed hairs with either a WHITE or a BLACK bulb on the end. I think everyone does.
This is off the top of my head so my knowledge may not be 100% btw:

People seem to say that if you shed a hair with a WHITE bulb it means the hair is in the telogen stage (has stopped growing). Other people say that the bulb is always black and people are just seeing the sebum on top.

The black bulb is called the "root" but it isn't a root in the tree sense - if you destroy a tree's roots, you kill the tree. A follicle on the other hand will continue to deposit new cells anyway (the "root" gets shed naturally in the telogen stage anyway)

If you pull out hairs with tweezers you can see this bulb on the end. I don't think it necessarily means that the hair won't grow back or will be miniaturised next time - I did an experiment and plucked out some of my moustache hairs with tweezers - and the vast majority had this black bulb on them. They still grew back.
Eyebrow hair I removed also had this black bulb and they grew back too.

I also see hairs surrounded by "sebum" - I'm not sure if this is good or not. Perhaps the follicles are getting "marinated" in DHT-filled sebum. Anyone know?

Axl_Rose

Established Member
Reaction score
Cheers for the reply, i was reading before that a hair with a black bulb at the end is a hair in the anagen hair but i don't know, just had me worried since it looked like more then a bulb at the end, like it was a root.