Hair transplants at a young age-- why not?

wastingpenguins

Established Member
Reaction score
Not that I'm even close to needing a hair transplant at this early stage in my hairloss, but I'm just wondering--

Whenever younger people talk about wanting a transplant, everyone always jumps on them.

They always talk about having to wait until your hairloss has "stabilized" to even consider the transplant.

Problem is-- to these young people, hair is important NOW. Not in five or ten years when they are slick bald.

If you have the money... what's the problem with getting the transplant when you're young? You can always get further procedures as your loss progresses, can't you?

Is it just because the doctors won't operate on someone so young?

Someone explain.

marsbtchsx

Established Member
Reaction score
personally i think if u get a hair transplant on say ur hair line and u keep receeding its gonna look quite silly (at least for a while until u get another hair transplant) with a line of hair just at the front of ur head....and also lets say u just started on some treatments id think its worth giving those time....a lot of young people, i kno ive thought about it, want just jump to the last and final step to almost get it over with instead of seeing if treatments will work for them first and they might get away surgery free...just some thoughts

wastingpenguins

Established Member
Reaction score
I suppose.

Anyway, what if you're only thinning on the crown, like me? No recession.

And plus, what if you try every treatment for a few years and your hair just seems to keep getting worse?

Hypothetically speaking.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
Hi penguins.

You kind of answered your own question when you stated that even the doctors (the ethical ones, at least) won't operate on a young fellow just starting to lose his hair.

First off surgery of any kind, even cosmetic, introduces risks. With nearly any condition on the planet there's usually the herbal, the medical pharmaceutical, and then the surgical route. Pretty much globally, doctors always recommend the surgical route last. There are chances of infection, error, damage, complications, etc. Because of this, though the surgical route many times is considered the "quick fix" its still considered the last resort.

Watch ER a few times and you'll see what I mean. The other night the parents had the option of noninvasive methods or invasive surgery, and naturally they were distraught when they found out the only option was the invasive surgery. Its just a global thing with surgery, that any time you cut into the skin, you introduce a million new negative possibilities.

That said ... the other major factors are that you will continue thinning, and it could end up looking like hell if you transplant hairs into thinning area and the other hairs begin to fall. You could end up with patchy looking hair, or any number of other complications.

I think the biggest motivator against it is that, especially with general diffuse thinning, Propecia is almost an expert at halting and reversing it all by itself.

I get your point, but I think its a risk versus benefit thing, as it usually is with all surgical procedures.

HairLossTalk.com

wastingpenguins

Established Member
Reaction score
Mm, yeah. You have some pretty valid points, HairLossTalk.com.

After finally healing my scalp up after 5 months of truly terrible flaking and peeling and stuff a while ago, my hair isn't where I'd like it to be, especially at the age of 18.

Just diffused thinning. It's not bad yet-- no one's going to notice if my hair is dry and down. But it's getting impossible to style.

I'm just hoping that I just started to get worse those first 5 months on Propecia because of my unhealthy scalp. Moving on through month 7 right now, hoping for things to turn around, or at least... not get any worse.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

HairlossTalk

Reaction score
wastingpenguins said:
I'm just hoping that I just started to get worse those first 5 months on Propecia because of my unhealthy scalp. Moving on through month 7 right now, hoping for things to turn around, or at least... not get any worse.
Actually that's pretty common. Shedding up until the 4-6 month area is not unheard of at all. And again keep in mind for some people it takes a full 12 months for people to see results, so try to keep that in the back of your head, even thought I realize its a long time to wait and continue thinning.

HairLossTalk.com

damo

Reaction score
I don't see what the big issue is really.....

Think about this for a second, most young guys don't want thin hair in patches over their head, and would rather shave it then put up with that. It looks much better that way. Now, if I get a Hair Transplant soon to replace the hairline I have lost (I be 20, and I would 'restore' it to where it wouold be when I am in my forties), I would have a good looking head of hair for as long as the propecia keeps working (I am responding, haven't lost a thing in 18 months, so I should get another 3 - 4 years before the effects are likely to start wearing off on me).

So, I get a transplant done at a rational point now when I am young, have a good looking head of hair for a few more years of my youth, and shave the bastard/get another Hair Transplant done later on when the hair starts falling out. And for the optimistic man, they're may be improved treatments out by the time that comes about (Hair cloning, if I'm very lucky).

So what's so criminally stupid about getting a hair transplant done young?

jdell

Reaction score
Like mentioned, I don't want to let "the best years" of my life elude me when I could have my hair now, if for some reason it became patchy or just didn't work out right, I could shave it. It'd be more acceptable to be balding at 40 then at 23.

To me the side effects of a non invasive surgery like this aren't any worse than my propecia.

Besides the sexual dysfunctions you run the risk of losing even more hair while on the treatment, gyno, ect. ect. I honestly don't think there is a more sever symptom from the surgery than the medicine.

I understand you can stop taking the pills but we've all heard stories(even a few from board members) who haven't recovered once they did stop.

I don't mean to come off as rude or even someone who knows so much about the subject. I don't know anything compared to a lot of you guys. I just feel cheated when it's okay to risk certain parts of your life to maintain hair, but not to get it all back in one shot. I personally don't feel "you're too young" is a quality excuse.

amrod

Established Member
Reaction score
personally if given a 50/50 chance of getting either death or instant full hair regrowth id definetely take it. im only 19 but hair loss has pretty muched ruined my life

i was thinkin about this, it would seem logical to me to get the implants then use soemtig like propecia or rogaine to keep all remaining hair so it doesnt f*** up more