Hair transplant questions?

zak84

Established Member
Reaction score
being that i recently got a transplant and spent 3 months of research into it and feel that i am knowledgable enough to give advice (although nothing is better than doing your own research). to that end, i'll be happy to answer any questions for anyone who just wants to know or considering one, i'll also take a look at any doctors you are considering and tell you what i think.

Stingray

Reaction score
Where do babies come from?

Stingray

Reaction score
That's not what yo mamma said last night.

zak84

Established Member
Reaction score
i just recently got my transplant done, i cant vouche for how they look yet, im just here to offer any answers to questions people might have.

Healthy Nick

Established Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm mostly interested in your long term progress. What do you feel about head shaving though? Will you ever be able to shave your head because of the scar in the back? Did the doctor say anything about this, such as plastic surgery to remove the scar etc?

How many hair transplant's can you get? Did the doctor say anything about projected long term hairloss?

zak84

Established Member
Reaction score
as far as long term goes, you rest assure that i will keep you guys up to date, the biggest problem i had when doing research into was finding people who had transplants(other than ones on surgeons sites) and produced enough photos to give a good idea of what i was getting into. that being said, i also want to show everyone that it's not that extreme of a surgery and all the negativity that people show towards it is not very warranted. basically, i want to share my experience so the thought of a hair transplant is not thrown out of the window immediately

right now my hair is at a 3 gaurd, the photos i took of the scar were when i wetted my hair and moved it aside to show the actual scar, when it's dry, it's hard to see but you can see a little black line (keep in mind that's only been 5 days and the stitches are still in), the doctor told me at mininum, 1/4 to 1/2 inch hair is needed to cover it, from what i can tell, that sounds about accurate, but it's something ill definitely keep everyone posted on

plastic surgery to remove the scar is really not needed, unless you plan on shaving your head completely (military style) i think the scar will be pretty unnoticable, however, it's a case by case thing, some people heal well some don't, some have been elasticity in their scalp and some don't, what it boils down to is how well the surgeon removes the strip and how well he stitches it, i believe my surgeon did a good job in that regard because the amount of blood was VERY minimal

the number of hair transplant's is also another case by case thing. if you have 2-3 hair transplant's by removing donor tissue, then your scalp will start to stretch a lot, my personal opinion about this issue is that i will get one more hair transplant with a donor strip removed (depending on results of course) and then possibly one more by FUE (follicular unit extraction), the difference in FUE is, instead of cutting tissue away and then dissecting the follicles out, they remove the follicles directly from the back of your head and place them right back in (meaning no stitches and no "storage time"), however, this is a fairly new process and it's still kind of iffy to me, i think for most people though (NW3 and below)1 large procedure (1000+ grafts) should take care of what you need, if you are diffuse like me, you may need another 500-1500 grafts to completely fill in your head

i did ask him about long term hairloss, his response was simple, propecia has been clinically proven to prevent further hairloss for 5 years, most likely i won't lose more hair for the next 5 years and possibly more, and 5 years is along time for new better medications come out. he did however say, tht because im young and my future is hard to determine, he would not do major hairline repair or crown repair just incase my hairloss doesnt stop, i'll still have a natural looking pattern and will not be forced into another procedure due to abnormal looks

basically, he told me to be conservative the first time, just to be on the safe side, give it a year or two and then start considering filling in the crown and/or hairline, he also said, while he couldn't legally recommend avodart, that if he were in my shoes, he'd give it a shot. he did say that he has had some patient on it and they complained about the side effects (mass shedding in the first month and the of course the huge half life)

G

I have had 3 hair transplants over a 15 yr period. They have worked quite well in my opinon.

And no, I don't think I could do the head shave unless I had a really good story made up about the vietnam war.

Jack_the_Lad

Established Member
Reaction score
zak84, I'm just curious but how much did the hair transplant cost, and how many graphs did you get. I did think about a hair transplant, but have instead opted for the propecia route to see how I'll be in a few years, hopefully a superior method will be avaliable by then

shineydome

Established Member
Reaction score
post-op

I've seen, and read, that post-op hair transplant recoveries include facial and scalp swelling, black-eyes, etc. that can take quite a few weeks to subside. Any
comment on that in your case? Thanks. Shineydome.

G

Re: post-op

shineydome said:
I've seen, and read, that post-op hair transplant recoveries include facial and scalp swelling, black-eyes, etc. that can take quite a few weeks to subside. Any
comment on that in your case? Thanks. Shineydome.

This is possible and happened to me in ONE of my procedures (the one with 800 grafts.)

Doesn't need to happen though. If one ices the area for the first three to five days and takes anti inflammatories, this can be avoided.

Also, it is more of a non-issue if you are having crown work done.

Using diluted folligen afterwards speeds healing and growth IMHO.

zak84

Established Member
Reaction score
i had no swelling at all, i iced it the first two days off and on, my first day back to school and work was today, i didn't tell anyone i was getting it and no one knew, no "hey what's that line in the back of your head" or anything of this nature, it's pretty much unnoticable if you don't what you're looking for, this is after 7 days