hair relaxing

Anita

Reaction score
Hi everyone-

I'm planning to have my hair relaxed (straightened) next week. It's only a mild relaxer because I basically have straight hair with waves in the underlayers. I do it every 4-5 months. I'm sure this isn't the cause of my hair loss since I've been doing this for years with the same stylist and same products. However, do you think this would be bad for my hair now?
I'm using Folligen so maybe discontinue a few days before or else it may sting??? Any ideas or experience with this?

G

Hi Anita,

I am curious, when you relax your hair, do you lose or shed a lot of it?

It's basically the opposite of a perm, right? As opposed to the chemicals binding and setting your hair together in the shape of the spiral or curly rods, it straightens it flat. Correct?

Any info, I'm curious!

Thanks,

Laura

Anita

Reaction score
Hi Laura,

Yes, I believe it is the opposite of a perm. The chemicals are similar, I think, but then the stylist combs your hair really straight instead of using rolers and stuff. I never had a perm so not sure exactly what happens in one...

I haven't noticed shedding after the relaxing. Since the hairloss started, I've only done it once and didn't experience a problem after. I was still shedding a lot at the time and the shedding basically stayed the same. But now my shedding has dramatically decreased so I don't want to do something that will make it worse.

Anita

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

So, I had my hair relaxed/straightened this morning. As always, I like the way it looks (I also got a new haircut :) ) But I was cringing while she was doing it. For one, she was yanking on my hair and I saw so much coming out! Every time a hair came out I was like "no, I need all my hairs!" But she told me it wasn't more shedding than when she usually does it (not sure if this is true). Also, I had to tell her that I had visible scalp all over my head and to not be alarmed. The good news is that she said that when she did my hair in August she didn't notice scalp showing. So at least I know some of the drastic changes happened in the last 4 months. I was also pleased that the relaxer did not sting my scalp, which means it must be in decent condition.

In 48 hours I get to wash my hair and then I can see if this procedure will cause me to shed any more. I really hope not!!!

ToupMaster

Established Member
Reaction score
Anita said:
Hi everyone!

So, I had my hair relaxed/straightened this morning. But I was cringing while she was doing it. For one, she was yanking on my hair and I saw so much coming out!

I don't think there is any service performed proffessionaly in a Salon that is harder on your hair that straightening... It's a step above haveing it bleached. And yanking on your hair is certainly not proffessional treatment.