Hair regrowth in a male patient with extensive Androgenetic Alopecia on estrogen therapy

bornthisway

Established Member
Reaction score
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22890743

No abstract.

Androgenetic Alopecia.gif

Fig 1. A, Extensive frontal and vertex hair loss. B, Improved regrowth of vertex hair. C, Continued regrowth of terminal hair on vertex. D, Significant regrowth of terminal hair with appreciable coverage on vertex. E, Almost full regrowth of terminal hair on scalp with some vertex thinning noted. Photographs taken approximately January 1989 (A), August 1990 (B), November 1990 (C), April 1991 (D), and September 1991 (E).

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
Photos (B) and (E) are taken with a different angle. It seem hair growth in the back of the head but there is not a view of frontal head.

Lead Farmer

Established Member
Reaction score
Even so that is crazy regrowth considering the extent of his hair loss. It's impossible to get that with current treatments.

abcdefg

Reaction score
I think Bryan has always said evidence suggests estrogen is good for hair maybe this just speaks to that. We need to raise estrogen and lower androgens. Maybe we need to start thinking about good topicals that can raise estrogen locally also.

bornthisway

Established Member
Reaction score
Alfatradiol (17α-estradiol) can be used topically but my understanding is the results are minimal (study below). There was a study comparing alfatradiol to minoxidil and minoxidil was shown to be more effective. Whether there's something else more promising and well tolerated to use topically, I wouldn't know.

Wozel, G.; Narayanan, S.; Jäckel, A.; Lutz, G. A.
Alfatradiol (0,025 %) - Eine wirksame und sichere Therapieoption zur Behandlung der androgenetischen Alopezie bei Frauen und Männern (Alfatradiol (0.025 %) - an Effective and Safe Therapy for the Treatment of Androgenetic Alopecia in Women and Men).
Akt Dermatol 2005; 31: 553-560 DOI: 10.1055/s-2005-870188

Abstract

Androgenetic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia), also referred to as male pattern baldness, is the most common cause of hair loss in both sexes in adulthood. An option for topical treatment that selectively targets the metabolic pathways involved in the balding process is alfatradiol, an estrasterid without hormonal activity. In a drug monitoring study, efficacy and safety of alfatradiol (0.025 %) was assessed in 233 patients with Androgenetic Alopecia (192 women, aged 14-76 years, and 41 men, aged 17-56 years). After 7.5 months of treatment, trichograms of 112 patients (92 women, 20 men) were evaluated. Under treatment with alfatradiol the proportion of frontal anagen hair increased statistically significantly, in women from 69% to 77% (means) and in men from 56% to 65%. The proportion of telogen hair decreased accordingly. In 12% of women and 21% of men a further decline in the number of anagen hair was observed. Merely three patients (1,3 %) reported mild local adverse reactions. In conclusion, Alfatradiol appears to be effective and safe in the topical treatment of Androgenetic Alopecia in both men and women.

LawOfThelema

Experienced Member
Reaction score
ok, but estrogen therapy is generally a protocol for male to female gender reassignment. it would likely have other effects than terminal hair regrowth, at least if used orally.

- - - Updated - - -

To the Editor: Androgenetic alopecia (Androgenetic Alopecia) is a nonscarring pattern hair loss affecting both sexes. There have been no previous reports on very advanced Androgenetic Alopecia responsive to medical treatment. Here, we present a sex reassignment patient on estrogen therapy who experienced full hair regrowth over completely alopecic scalp.

Yeah, so unless you are a gender reassignment patient you can write off estrogen therapy as a viable option for your balding.

Vox

Established Member
Reaction score
ok, but estrogen therapy is generally a protocol for male to female gender reassignment. it would likely have other effects than terminal hair regrowth, at least if used orally.
Yeah, so unless you are a gender reassignment patient you can write off estrogen therapy as a viable option for your balding.
Exactly. And if I remember correctly, there was a member of this very forum who did this. He was a man with Androgenetic Alopecia in advanced stage, but he changed his gender and got a head full of hair.

Alas, as of today this is the only known way to restore hair to bald men.

Sparky4444

Reaction score
Exactly. And if I remember correctly, there was a member of this very forum who did this. He was a man with Androgenetic Alopecia in advanced stage, but he changed his gender and got a head full of hair.

Alas, as of today this is the only known way to restore hair to bald men.

Great...I always wanted to be a lesbian!! :gay::tongue:

B

Beingbaldsucksass

I think Bryan has always said evidence suggests estrogen is good for hair maybe this just speaks to that. We need to raise estrogen and lower androgens. Maybe we need to start thinking about good topicals that can raise estrogen locally also.

so in other words you want to be a long haired woman

WillNotLetItHappen

Established Member
Reaction score

Say goodbye to your libido...

LawOfThelema

Experienced Member
Reaction score
maybe you could get away with topical... i was told that 17 alpha estradiol is used fairly commonly as a topical in europe... not sure if prescribed by dermatologists or just pursued by experimental individuals... you can safely progesterone as a topical but it is mild in effect at best. its been used in clinical studies and often it shows no effect at all.